Subject: First few sessions and still undefeated wooo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the last few days saw my first game(s) of Legendary and I had a blast. The first game was with my gf playing the recommended first game from the book. So Red Skull was trying to unleash the power of the cosmic cube while Spiderman, Hawkeye, Wolverine, Cyclops and Ironman tried to stop him. We won very easily indeed and then I realised we got the rules wrong and only drew a villain card once everyone had a turn so it was stupidly easy. Oooops... Guess that one didn't count, but hey it was just a learning game... whistle

Then I opted to play a solo game the following night using the randomizing app to make sure I got the rules right this time and here's what happened:

Dr Doom enlisted the aid of the Radiation villians and some Hand Ninjas to help him replace the world's leaders with killbots.

Trying to stop him were three of the Avengers: Hulk, Thor and the Black Widow.

The combination of Thor, Hulk and the Black Widow was brutal in this scheme as the extra bystanders allowed Black Widow to get a ridiculous amount of power reasonably quickly using her ability that gave her +1 for every bystander in the victory points pile. Combined with Hulk's ability to use the wounds he gave himself to pump himself up more and high numbers of strength Heroes the Villians never stood a chance. Not a single killbot managed to escape.

Despite it feeling very easy I still had a great time and working out how to combine the abilities was interesting, though I felt the game wasn't really balanced for solo play.

So last night the gf and I cracked it out again. Determined to have another go now I knew (kinda) what we were doing.

The first match up saw RedSkull trying to mastermind a negative zone prison breakout. To do this he enlisted the aid of his ever reliable Hydra goons, the Radiation villains and employed some Hand Ninja and Sentinel Henchmen.

Trying to stop this nefarious scheme were Black Widow (as MVP of the previous game she was first pick naturally),Storm, Nick Fury, Deadpool ninja and the Hulk.

The opening turns saw some Henchmen slowly sneak through the city as the Heroes were honing their abilities for the more dangerous confrontations. Occasionally some Shield troopers would take down some Hand Ninjas or a Sentinel but it was pretty tame. Until my GF got the Storm rare card that is. Then we saw Storm go into overdrive, Maestro showed up threatening to SMASH but Storm obliterated him with a little help from black widow and got him again when he dared to return. She also made for short work of RedSkull proving that no one should mess with Storm. Meanwhile I was doing my best to utilise Hulk and take down as many goons as I could to ensure I wasn't left behind in the scoring. Alas it was too little and while the Heroes saved the day my GF was the overall victor 23-21 which was a lot closer than I thought it would be.

We immediately wanted a second game so kept the same heroes and redid the villians and ended up with: Magneto and the Brotherhood masterminding an invasion of the Skrull shapeshifters, Magneto also employed the Doombots to aid this scheme of his.

This set up required us to choose another Hero so Gambit joined the team. The game started badly with several powerful heroes showing up as Skrull shapeshifters, we even saw the Hulk shapeshifter that came out on the first turn escape . We were feeling really pressured, several bad draws and the city was full. We were clinging on by taking out the doombots wherever we could. Though this strategy was taking the shield operatives out and we were struggling. Then I got lucky and managed to get myself Nick Fury's 'Ours is the Fury' (think thats the name) where he can take out any villain or mastermind with power less than the number of shield operatives in the KO pile. This was my chance, we had nearly 10 KOd shield operatives so anything that came out could be taken down. Now I just needed to focus on the big boys to give us a breather then Magneto was going down. The game ended with me winning 24-17. My GF had gone for Storm and blackwidow again but struggled with getting rid of wounds that had flooded her deck from my over excited use of the Hulk again but as I got Nick Fury off to a flyer she was just getting her deck rolling.

A fun set of games and I know I look forward to playing it with my other half more and getting it to the game group for larger groups where I imagine the difficulty goes up as when we had a few bad draws in our last game we were starting to struggle. With extra players it could be much worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up and welcome to the Legendary party. Don't be put off by your solo effort, I mostly play solo (also taking part in the league http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1170971/legendary-online-lea...) and the game can be extremely hard sometimes.

If you think it's too easy take a look at the advanced solo rules (introduced in Dark City expansion) [url]
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92730/advanced-solo-rules-...[/url], there are also other ways to make things trickier if you're still finding solo too easy after a few more plays.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactus is a good way to bring your winning streak to an end!

It's interesting to me how much you can vary the difficulty in that game just by how you pick the heroes, mastermind and villan and henchman gropus. For example you could pick your heroes after you know who you the bad guys are and make it easy for yourself by picking ones that match up nicely with them. Or you could randomize everything. Or everything in between!

We've really been enjoying the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.