Subject: J.R.R. Tolkien reads the ring-rhyme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ME [+] [View All]
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really cool...I like how he pronounces Mordôr. I always wondered how that caret-o was supposed to sound. You can really get the idea that this man speaks dozens of languages. However, he is kind enough to use the common tongue for us here. modest

Link if you can't use the player above. If you search, you can find him reading the entirety of his own works. Great for learning the proper pronunciations of all the names.

Tolkien-haters can go find another thread to post in, we know you hate him already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wonder who on Middle-Earth is supposed to have composed the poem. Sauron seems to be the only answer that makes sense, given that it's on the ring, but it's hard to imagine him sitting writing down a poem. And how did anyone else hear about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sauron spoke the first two lines when he put the ring on for the first time, and had them inscribed on the ring. The rest came later, from forgotten elvish authors. After all, when the first two lines were written, Sauron hadn't passed out all his 16 rings to lucky men and dwarves yet. Gandalf calls it "a verse long known in Elven lore". The Ring was forged 4800 years before the events in the books.

For you two Tolkien fans who haven't read it yet: FAQ of the Rings. Answers many common questions like "What would have happened when Frodo claimed the Ring if Gollum hadn’t interfered?" and "Why were Frodo’s and Bilbo’s clothes invisible while they wore the Ring?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
For you two Tolkien fans who haven't read it yet: FAQ of the Rings. Answers many common questions like "What would have happened when Frodo claimed the Ring if Gollum hadn’t interfered?" and "Why were Frodo’s and Bilbo’s clothes invisible while they wore the Ring?"

A magic invisibility ring wouldn't do you much good if people could still see your clothes. They may not be able to identify you, but they'd know you were there!

Which reminds me of one of the rather gross (literally) logic holes in H.G. Wells' seminal novel The Invisible Man. Dr. Griffin rendered his body invisible, but it only affected his physical form. He could only be truly invisible if he was naked. Fair enough. But he also said that food is visible when it was being digested -- a rather revolting thing to behold. But food is always being digested, and watching the contents of the bladder and the colon move towards their destination is not a pleasant prospect. So there would always be something that could be seen unless he could somehow manage to completely empty his entire digestive tract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
She liked farming...
badge
...he preferred stabbing things in the neck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude should really give some of those lines time to breathe—but then I guess that's why he's a writer and not a spoken-word artist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Sauron spoke the first two lines when he put the ring on for the first time, and had them inscribed on the ring.

Not of course the first two lines in the complete verse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Dude should really give some of those lines time to breathe—but then I guess that's why he's a writer and not a spoken-word artist.

He wrote them, he should know how to say them. He's not engaging in spoken-word artistry, he's reading a book out loud. In my mind those are two different things. He's a professional linguist, where words are concerned I give him the benefit of the doubt over any artist any day of the week.

Quote:
Not of course the first two lines in the complete verse.

The first two lines that were written, the ones on the ring. It is hardly Sauron's fault if someone came along and added more lines since then, and put his own at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
It is hardly Sauron's fault if someone came along and added more lines since then, and put his own at the end.

Of course it is, the One Ring came last, he didn't say anything about the earlier ones.

And everything is Sauron's fault. Unless you blame Morgoth.

And no, I'm not being entirely serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.