Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Pax Britannica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Army Unit Movement during war rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Drummond-Cole
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules state that Army Units can move "To or from an adjacent Sea Zone or Area and your Home Country."

As written, this seems to imply that Army Units can move:

1. from your home country to an adjacent Sea Zone even if (for some reason) there is no Merchant Fleet present in that zone.

2. from your home country to an adjacent area which is neutral in the war.

Neither of these possibilities seem to make thematic sense and there is a further inconsistency if this interpretation is correct in that while troops could issue from your home country in this manner, they would be unable to retreat in the same manner.

It seems more sensical to interpret this phrase as a typo for

"From an adjacent Sea Zone or Area to your Home Country."

Can anyone confirm or deny my interpretation and/or point me to clarifying documentation?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to download and read a newer version of the rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For a set of "repaired" rules that try to hew as closely as possible to the designer's intent, you can try http://www.oelib.com/pax/therules.html
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gamboa
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for doing your homework, Blafard!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Drummond-Cole
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
You might want to download and read a newer version of the rules.


Thanks for responding.

Of course I read all the updated rules I could find before I posted my question.

You can see under "Army Unit Movement" under "MOVEMENT DURING AN ALLIANCE MANOEUVRE PHASE" that the rules you linked to use the same phrasing that prompted my question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Drummond-Cole
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
For a set of "repaired" rules that try to hew as closely as possible to the designer's intent, you can try http://www.oelib.com/pax/therules.html


Thanks for responding.

Of course I read all the updated rules I could find before I posted my question (I feel like a broken record).

You, like Darrell, can see under "Army Unit Movement" under "MOVEMENT DURING AN ALLIANCE MANEUVER PHASE" that the rules you linked to use the same phrasing that prompted my question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blafard wrote:
dirubin wrote:
For a set of "repaired" rules that try to hew as closely as possible to the designer's intent, you can try http://www.oelib.com/pax/therules.html


Thanks for responding.

Of course I read all the updated rules I could find before I posted my question (I feel like a broken record).

You, like Darrell, can see under "Army Unit Movement" under "MOVEMENT DURING AN ALLIANCE MANEUVER PHASE" that the rules you linked to use the same phrasing that prompted my question.


One can't normally enter a neutral area during a war. This is implied in other sections of the rules (e.g. on codominions).

One can argue about whether the designer was correct in implying that Great Powers can ALWAYS scrape up enough transport in adjacent waters, but he did. Watch out for Supply, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Drummond-Cole
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dirubin wrote:

One can't normally enter a neutral area during a war. This is implied in other sections of the rules (e.g. on codominions).

One can argue about whether the designer was correct in implying that Great Powers can ALWAYS scrape up enough transport in adjacent waters, but he did. Watch out for Supply, though.


I agree that it is implied in other sections of the rules. That's one reason I thought this wording was a typo rather than an intentional design choice.

As far as Sea Zones go, I was thinking about Russia or the U.S., who may have merchant fleets on one coast but a war on the other coast. The thing, again, that confuses me about this interpretation is that say, the U.S. can send troops out of the U.S. through the North Atlantic to Rio de Oro without a merchant fleet in the North Atlantic, but can't retreat troops from Rio de Oro over the North Atlantic to the U.S. Maybe this scenario is a bit fantastical but I can imagine a more reasonable use case in a Russo-Japanese war.

Any comment? Is this just "one of those things?"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
More questionable would be an Austrian assault on the Ottoman Empire while Serbia is still independent.

You either need a low key group inclined to consensus building or a strong moderator for this game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.