BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Caverna vs Terra Mystica rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pablo bastard
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
currently I'm deciding which one of those two getting.
There are some factors to be taken into account:
* 80% of the plays are 2 players, rest of them 4 players.
* I already have Agricola & its expansion, and Le havre, which I enjoy a lot (both of them top 5 for me).

Should I forget about Caverna due to its sameness to the other two Uwe's titles, which I already enjoy? Or does Terra Mystica just not justifiable to be purchased as a mostly 2 player game?

Is it better to start looking at some other titles?

Till now I've followed the ranking in BGG, which I would say is almost *exactly* my own taste, definitely the best games here deserve their place.
So, should I stick to what worked in this case or should I skip it for now?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Terra Mystica, Agricola, and Le Havre, and I plan on buying Caverna. Based on my limited experience with Terra Mystica, I suspect it would be noticeably better with 3 or 4 players than it is with only 2. But even with 2, I think it's worth owning. Others who have played it more than I can probably give you a better answer. But it seems like there would be much more player interaction and less "turtling" if you played with more than 2 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zehnal
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Raising money to end cancer because those with cancer have better things to do.
badge
I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body.
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO Caverna would be more enjoyable 2 player compared to Terra Mystica. Go to 3 or 4 player, it is a push. Both are great games with alot of replay. There is not enough competition over territory in a 2 player Terra Mystica game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
As a game, i prefer Terra Mystica. Especially if you already have Agricola.

But 2 players... i'd go Caverna if those we my only choices. Honestly, i'd look at another game completely if it was me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaVoLo wrote:
Hi all,
currently I'm deciding which one of those two getting.
There are some factors to be taken into account:
* 80% of the plays are 2 players, rest of them 4 players.
* I already have Agricola & its expansion, and Le havre, which I enjoy a lot (both of them top 5 for me).

Should I forget about Caverna due to its sameness to the other two Uwe's titles, which I already enjoy? Or does Terra Mystica just not justifiable to be purchased as a mostly 2 player game?

Is it better to start looking at some other titles?

Till now I've followed the ranking in BGG, which I would say is almost *exactly* my own taste, definitely the best games here deserve their place.
So, should I stick to what worked in this case or should I skip it for now?

Thanks!

In my opinion you have Agricola already. You don't need another one. By all of the written and video rules that I have read/seen nothing is directing me as an Agricola 'fan' to get Caverna.

If you didn't have Agricola, then I would suggest Caverna if Agricola was not an option. The reason is that the options you have to work with are greater than Terra Mystica. Both games are limited in scope due to the low randomness.

As it is, get Terra Mystica and save yourself $30+ for a new game than a replacement upgrade. Or better yet put those $30 to good use and pick up Glass Road which works great for 2 players and gives you an interactive Uwe experience.

Terra Mystica is a best with 4+ but 3 is fine. 2 is somewhat solitair-ish unless you tighten up the board.

As far as the ratings go, Caverna is still in its hype phase. Don't believe the ratings until things have stabilized. Terra Mystica has been out over a year and is still steadily rising. That says something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
As a game, i prefer Terra Mystica. Especially if you already have Agricola.

But 2 players... i'd go Caverna if those we my only choices. Honestly, i'd look at another game completely if it was me.

This. I love TM, but I wouldn't even consider it with 2 players.

I haven't tried it, but Caverna seems like it might work with two. At it's current price, though, I'm happy to play my friend's copy. Can't see spending that much if you already own and love Agricola. You don't sound like a completist.

Besides, if you want the Agricola flavor maximized for 2-players, why aren't we talking about Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrino22 wrote:
...if you want the Agricola flavor maximized for 2-players, why aren't we talking about Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small?

Because that's more like Agricola flavor minimized for 2 players. The best 2-player Agricola experience is playing 2-player Agricola.

I would also encourage the OP to look elsewhere for a medium-heavy 2-player Euro game. Terra Mystica is in my top 20, but not with 2 players.

There are a lot of other great titles to please your 2-player needs. Tell us a little more about what you're looking for, and we'll make some additional recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Corrino22 wrote:
...if you want the Agricola flavor maximized for 2-players, why aren't we talking about Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small?

Because that's more like Agricola flavor minimized for 2 players. The best 2-player Agricola experience is playing 2-player Agricola.

+1. I watched Richard's play of it and decided I would become bored of it rather quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pablo bastard
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I'm trying to get the best 2 player 'meaty' euros.
Games me and my girlfriend enjoy:
- Agricola
- Le Havre
- Troyes
- Power Grid
- Through the Ages
- Seasons

Other games less meaty we enjoy are Jaipur, Ticket to Ride and Pandemic.

I own Race for the Galaxy but even if I like it, my girlfriend does not feel the same way.

I was looking for new mechanics or, at least, proven to be good games for 2. Escalability to 4 players is a strong plus.
Strong competitiveness and spite is not welcomed by her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drum Roll Might be worth a look. It tops out at four players, works fine with just two.

Archipelago also works, although it's at it's best at around 4 - 5 players. Essentially the two player version has you kinda playing two players each. Semi co-operative to boot.

I'd also pick Caverna over Terra Mystica for a two player game, though as others have said it is fairly close to Agricola in terms of gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.