david
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just double-checking on whether any prerequisite is required to play card B2 Manuel I Nurses Emperor Conrad: does Conrad already need to be in play before this card may be used? The language of the card doesn't expressly indicate that is the case, although, it seems to be within the "spirit" of the text.

Here's the text of the card:

If Conrad is on the map, remove him from the game due to illness. Christian player rolls to diplomatically influence Byzantium with a -1 modifier (even if Byzantium is already pro-Christian). If successful, place Manuel I (1/3/6) and four 2-4 Byzantine units in Constantinople. Byzantium becomes a pro-Christian power. Return Conrad to the Force Pool at the start of the turn after next regardless of result.

It's the first line that is throwing me a little. My read is "no," Conrad does not need to be on the map to play this card, which would allow him to come into play (fwiw) before the Crusaders arrive on turn 4 of the scenario, which seems odd. The first line being something that happens to Conrad if he is already on the board rather than being a requirement to play the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Conrad would have to be in play for the event to take place. Otherwise how could you return him to the force pool after the die roll? If the first and last sentences of the event need Conrad to be in play I would think those in between also need him to take effect.

Philip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you for the reply, Philip. My thinking on Conrad was that it would just be an early arrival -- he raced ahead of his forces to see Manuel, or something similar. The game sometimes introduces additional units and leaders through the cards, and this seemed like it could be one of those situations. The real interest in playing the card would be to draw in the additional Byzantine forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "If Conrad is on the map then do the following" is intended as a prerequisite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok, thank you for the response Scott. We'll hope to see Manuel again around turn 4+. My Byzantine 2-4s were certainly giving me funny looks as I explained they were to set out to relieve Edessa from the deprivations of Zengi....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.