BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Gamers into Weight Lifting/Fitness? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Meyer
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Any gal or guy gamers into lifting heavy things, putting them down, and then picking them back up? Afraid that you'll be searched at the airport becuase of "deez gunz"? Or enjoy long runs on the beach?

Who out there enjoys lifting weights, running, and just being fit? Whether it be bodybuilding, power lifting, crossfit, marathon running, ironman training, what have you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
I started getting into fitness this past year. Had to start slow just walking on a treadmill and other light exercises. Have since ran a couple 5k's (still had to walk bits) and even a mud run, which was super fun.

So far I'm down 50 lbs from my heaviest with about 35 lbs to go for my initial target weight. Also have another 5k coming up with a friend of mine on 6/14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a few fitness guilds here on the geek.

But if you cycle, wear a helmet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to David on his weight loss. Keep after it!

Used to lift but I switched to body weight exercises about ten years ago, and haven't looked back. Once I got into Brazilian Jiu-jitsu I found the need to bench 300 wasn't as vital as the need to be more flexible and increase my cardio, so that's more my current fitness today. And burpees, which are pure evil.

Running an adventure race this Saturday, the Gladiator Dash. If any of you haven't tried those, they're a lot more fun than a 5k I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hamer
United States
Oakville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been into fitness for the last ten years or so, in fact my game room is currently sharing space with my weight bench. I've done most of the Beachbody programs, I've done P90X a few times, parts of P90X2, P90X3, Insanity, Focus T25, Les Mills Combat, my wife's done Chalean Extreme and TurboFire... My workout program collection seems to be rivaling my game collection. And I've run a half-marathon. I didn't know there were fitness guilds though, off I go to investigate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmahaRenegade wrote:
Any gal or guy gamers into lifting heavy things, putting them down, and then picking them back up? Afraid that you'll be searched at the airport becuase of "deez gunz"? Or enjoy long runs on the beach?

Who out there enjoys lifting weights, running, and just being fit? Whether it be bodybuilding, power lifting, crossfit, marathon running, ironman training, what have you.

lifting weight is dangerous.. just do your fitness without weights .. use your own body

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
s3rvant wrote:
I started getting into fitness this past year. Had to start slow just walking on a treadmill and other light exercises. Have since ran a couple 5k's (still had to walk bits) and even a mud run, which was super fun.

So far I'm down 50 lbs from my heaviest with about 35 lbs to go for my initial target weight. Also have another 5k coming up with a friend of mine on 6/14.

Congrats on the weight loss! Keep it up and Best of luck on your next 5K!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Geosphere wrote:
There's a few fitness guilds here on the geek.

But if you cycle, wear a helmet.

I wear a helmet regardless!

And I'll have to look into these too. Hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
dprijadi wrote:
OmahaRenegade wrote:

lifting weight is dangerous.. just do your fitness without weights .. use your own body

To each their own I suppose.

I love lifting heavy weights, so that's what I'm going to keep doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a gym rat when I was in my 20s (I am 50 now). I would go twice per day (cardio in the morning and weightlifting at night or vice-versa).

These days, I do various workout routines. Two summers ago I did INSANITY and lost 28 pounds. Since then, I have done various DVD workouts, lifted weights, and some stationary bike/treadmill/running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmahaRenegade wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
OmahaRenegade wrote:

can you lift your own body ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euen McMurry
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm into the second day of an upper-body fitness regime, since I'm really tired of seeing my weedy little arms dangling pathetically off of my rather large shoulders. Just doing various weight lifting exercises, nothing fancy or crazy. I've done this in the past with good results, but this time I mean to keep it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forteza
Spain
ALCORCON
MADRID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a couple of months ago.

I am 5,9' and weighed 236 pounds. Most of the time I felt tired and clumsy. I decided to cut on food and practice SOME sport.

Regarding the food, it's easier for me, I live in Spain and there are plenty healthy and affordable foods not like in the US. I try to eat a bit form everything but in smaller quantities.

Regarding sports I do some running (interval training) and calisthenics on alternate days.

So far I've lost 26 pounds my goal being 179. Steady but firmly hope to be on weight for my wedding this coming october.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
dprijadi wrote:
OmahaRenegade wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
OmahaRenegade wrote:

can you lift your own body ?

Yes, I knock out numerous sets of 50 push ups daily, and do 5 sets of 12-15 pull ups twice a week with my chest/back workout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm into mental weight-lifting heavy games such as Robinson Crusoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
I think in any realm where you have the ability to optimize, you're going to have a lot of geeks. And some of those will be into games.

Yes, I lift, no, I don't have much to say about it.

Life is dangerous, weights are safe. Everything is relative to how careful you are. And yes, you can lift your own body. Grab something above you and pull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:

I've lifted weights for years. The only way it is dangerous is if you are doing it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run marathons, half-marathons and have recently gotten into biathlons and triathlons. I don't compete to win, I'm not fast enough. But I do respectably well in my age group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
5.13 D
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've done bits of P90X and am just about to finish up a round of P90X3! I also run here and there as well as bike. But the best sport in the world and my real passion is rock climbing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wyatt
United States
Stewartstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've play competitive sports since high school. I don't lift or do any of the fitness programs, but I do play pretty competitive ultimate frisbee. I have been doing that for about 10 years now. If you want a sport with a good cardio workout Ultimate is where its at. I have also run two Tough Mudders and I have to agree with Craig that these are much more fun the just the regular 5 or 10k.

I actually didn't get into real gaming until a few years ago. A friend introduced me to Dominion and its been downhill ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an avid jogger and do weights/iso/plymetrics when my life permits. I find it's even worse than being a 'standard' geek, because finding a mate at the intersection of 'loves exercise' and 'loves games' is slim pickins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my usual routine:

Don't be fooled by the babies—those little bastards pack quite a wallop if they come out of anything higher than a fourth-story window. Get your timing wrong and they'll knock you STONE COLD DEAD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Shadrach wrote:
I'm an avid jogger and do weights/iso/plymetrics when my life permits. I find it's even worse than being a 'standard' geek, because finding a mate at the intersection of 'loves exercise' and 'loves games' is slim pickins.

Not to tell you how to live your life, but "loves exercise" is really just gravy in my opinion. Gaming is inherently social, exercise not so much. Maybe it's different with jogging because you go outside, but just because I'm doing something in the house (weightlifting) doesn't mean my lady has to too. The fact she does is cool, but my life would be no worse if she spent my workouts watching TV and eating bonbons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Not to tell you how to live your life, but "loves exercise" is really just gravy in my opinion. Gaming is inherently social, exercise not so much. Maybe it's different with jogging because you go outside, but just because I'm doing something in the house (weightlifting) doesn't mean my lady has to too. The fact she does is cool, but my life would be no worse if she spent my workouts watching TV and eating bonbons.

I know a couple that planned their honeymoon around visiting crossfit gyms together. They had a workout at least once a day... crazy people...
they're both not into games though...

But if you're looking for a mate to work out together with, maybe start looking amongst the crossfit crowd, they tend to be very dedicated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly fitness obsessed. I regularly run, bike, and weight train. I also train muay thai, but have been doing so less in the last few years because of time limitations. However, I still try to exercise 5-6 times a week.

I enjoy being fit, but sometimes yearn for a day when I don't analyze everything I eat for caloric/protein content. But it has just become a part of me now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.