United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
From my blog: http://slithytoves.sytes.net/~dave/wordpress/?p=1465

There's a game I enjoy called StreetSoccer. It's a light, easy little game, and I wouldn't mind owning it. However, I thought it might be a good game to try my hand at making a homemade version of.

I actually started this before I did my Liar's Dice board (ref: http://slithytoves.sytes.net/~dave/wordpress/?p=1451 ); this is the one I learned on for it. But this had more components, so I finished it later.

I decided while I was at it to re-theme the game to hockey. I'm not sure why. I don't really know much about soccer or hockey, so I had to ask other folks if a vague approximation of soccer was equivalent to a vague approximation of hockey. Consensus was that it was, so I proceeded. One difference between hockey and soccer is that there's playable space behind the goal in hockey, so I modified the board a bit. That made me feel less like I was pirating a boardgame. (I still plan on getting the real thing.)

I was trying to avoid the foamcore I used for Liar's Dice, since I'm not crazy about working with it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement, though I have some leads (I'm going to look into repurposing thrift store boardgame boards, as well as matboard.) Prototype one used some thick cardboard for the backing but ended up looking crappy. For prototype two I went ahead with the foamcore, since I happen to have it handy.

Here's the final product:

It's Kurt Schwind's Exterme Hockey ! Dedicated to my hockey-loving pal and web host, Kurt!

The players are red and blue only because that's what color spray paint we had handy. I wanted to give them little hockey sticks and looked for such at the craft store, but lemme tell you, apparently out of the millions of things people scrapbook about, nobody ever wants to remember hockey.

I thought it came out pretty good. I'm still learning how to make everything look nice, and like I said, I need to experiment a little with different board materials. I have another game in progress that will require even more components, but I don't want to go with wood for them, since that's a little pricey. I'm looking into cardboard disks for them.

As I say, I feel bad about doing this for an existing, available game. But there's something about playing your own handmade version that's nice. The other games I've done or plan on doing are either public domain or out of print, so those don't bug me much.

I'll let you know about the next one when it gets further along. Meanwhile, all rise for our National Anthem:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! Fight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant!

Now I gotta track down some of those Lego hockey players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exterme Hockey?

Is this really how it was intended to be spelled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any reason you called it "exterme" instead of "extreme"? At first, I thought it was a typo, but I see you always reference it as "exterme".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
StreetSoccer didn't have soccer-style offside rules because it was meant to be _street_ soccer. I imagine the same basic principles apply here. This isn't the NHL or the Olympics - it's pond hockey, shinny, or street hockey. None of which generally enforce offsides.

I have this larger-scale StreetSoccer-styled hockey game. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's "Exterme" on purpose. In-joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you use some sort of ricochet rule to simulate a puck caroming off the boards? Or do you keep the theme strictly a street-type version? Do you have any pictures of one of the hockey meeples in the penalty box? Or partaking in the post-game adult beverage?

There is another StreetSoccer-ish hockey themed game

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5328

but I don't think it is as good as Street Soccer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah pretty neat. what are the rules? how does it play?

everyonee in my group(well, nearly everyone) loves hockey and i think a hockey boardgame could be really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:
ah pretty neat. what are the rules? how does it play?

everyonee in my group(well, nearly everyone) loves hockey and i think a hockey boardgame could be really fun.

Rules are the same as StreetSoccer:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3421

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Which is a little problematic in itself. A good striker can "Bend" the flightpath of a soccer ball, and the game's shooting rules account for that.

Ain't no hockey player in the world who can 'bend' a slapshot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Which is a little problematic in itself. A good striker can "Bend" the flightpath of a soccer ball, and the game's shooting rules account for that.

Maybe all the extant hockey players just aren't good enough.

Dude, what do you want for a vague approximation of hockey based on a vague approximation of soccer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robinson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:

Physics of Hockey shots:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/hockey/shooting1.html

when properly implemented, the puck becomes the fastest moving object in any major professional team sport.

Friesen hit the ice a good foot or more before the stick came in contact with the puck. This caused the stick to "bow" considerably. When the stick did come in contact with the puck, the "bow" was released, snapping the stick towards the puck just as Friesen was following through with his swing (and transfering his weight). The overall motion is combined with the stick snapping back, releasing energy into the puck. There is also a slight snap of the wrists at the end of the motion--allowing the puck to spin off the stick. This gyroscopic action allows the puck to remain stable in flight, which helps the shot's accuracy

Do soccer balls really "bend"? Do baseballs really "curve"? Don't all objects follow a straight parabolic path? I'll search for more physics of sports articles:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5048238.stm

Turbulence moving backwards creates a thin layer of air flow next to the ball
With air flow clinging more closely, turbulence is reduced and drag plummets
This is called "tripping" the boundary layer

Baseball pitchers conventionally swerve the ball by throwing it with spin. This "curveball" is very similar to a swerving free kick and the rotating seam trips the boundary layer in much the same way as a football does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just a vague aproximation of a minor rules tweak is all. I've given this thought in the past (I am a hockey nut and thought the StreetSoccer concept was amusing and could be reworked to hockey). The only 'major' rules changes I think migt be needed are to force shooting-passing to be straight-line-only, and possibly add some sort of bodychecking (think 'pushing' in Roborally, with the added benefit of separating player from puck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True enough but deflections are certainly part of the game even at the street level so the single change in direction for a shot still makes sense although if you really want to be a stickler you'd need a man at the point of the direction change.

thatmarkguy wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:

Don't think of it as bending the shot, think of it as the player adjusting his own position a little to make a shot/pass that isn't at a straight 45 or 90 degree angle. Don't worry about the specific path the puck takes, just look at the start- and end-points. Could he shoot from there to there? Sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've had the same thought, also being a hockey enthusiast and collector.

I would make the following rule changes:

1. 6 players a side (not 5)

2. puck can only be played in a straight line (as mentioned)

3. puck can be "bounced" off the boards diagonally (as mentioned)

4. centre-ice face-offs after a goal

5. goalies have the option to play or "cover the puck" for a face-off.

6. possibly hitting, fighting and penalties (decided by the dice).

All for now... how can I get my copy?

Jer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.