Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Blanding
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This question has come up a couple of times in our games.

If you complete a route that's seven cities (or more) long, are you required to take a seven city route bonus tile or can you pass it up in favor of a six city route tile?

This can matter if several seven tiles are already taken but no one's taken any six tiles yet.

The rules state that if the seven city route tiles are gone then you may take a six city route tile but they don't say if you're REQUIRED to take the seven city length tile if it's there.

Does anyone know the answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm ....

I would say "no" (without having the exact wording of the rules in front of me).

If you want the extra point that the six route brings you, you'll have to end your route at 6-long and maybe miss out on placing a couple of houses.

That's how we would play it, although it hasn;t come up in our games, as people tend to start low and build up.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with Nick although I do not think it's explicitly stated in the rules (not in front of me). This exact scenario came up for us last night (two "7" were taken already but no "6" taken).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blanding
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
By the way, my original opinion was "yes you could" but the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to go with "no you can't".

The thing that sways it for me is this: what if the seven and the six column are worth the same points? Theoretically it might be be better to take the six instead of the seven because it would make it harder for your opponents to get the same points. On the other hand, it would also make it harder for you so I could see it going both ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Barylski
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rules:

Bonus Tiles for Route Length
Whenever a player’s route contains 5, 6, 7 or more cards, the player takes the top Bonus Tile from the corresponding pile. If there are none remaining, the player may take a Bonus Tile for the next shortest route for which a tile is still available. (In this manner, it would be possible to make a route of 8 or more cards and still collect a bonus tile.)

It doesn't appear to be an option in the rules - "...players takes the...". You take the card from the corresponding pile, and only if none are remaining do you get the option to take one from a different pile - "...the player may take... "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Bonus Tiles for Route Length
Whenever a player’s route contains 5, 6, 7 or more cards, the player takes the top Bonus Tile from the corresponding pile. If there are none remaining, the player may take a Bonus Tile for the next shortest route for which a tile is still available. (In this manner, it would be possible to make a route of 8 or more cards and still collect a bonus tile.)

Seems crystal clear to me. You take a bonus token that matches the length of your route. Only if no such tokens are available may you take a token from the next shortest route.

I gotta say (hopefully without stepping on any toes) that, IN MY OPINION, even bringing the question up is bad form. The rules are clear. Attempting to confuse the issue so as to gain a few more points is unseemly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that when I score I can put one house in each region in my route. They also say that I can put houses in all of the cities one region in my route.

So, can I place houses on all cities in one region plus one in each other region? The rules say that I have a choice of these two options and explains how each one works, but it doesn't say that I can't choose both options. If I do that, I can get more points by claiming more bonus tiles and keep other players from getting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
The rules say that when I score I can put one house in each region in my route. They also say that I can put houses in all of the cities one region in my route.

So, can I place houses on all cities in one region plus one in each other region? The rules say that I have a choice of these two options and explains how each one works, but it doesn't say that I can't choose both options. If I do that, I can get more points by claiming more bonus tiles and keep other players from getting them.

Unseemly! Unseemly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blanding
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
kimbo wrote:
I gotta say (hopefully without stepping on any toes) that, IN MY OPINION, even bringing the question up is bad form. The rules are clear. Attempting to confuse the issue so as to gain a few more points is unseemly.

Well, I do take a very slight offense at your tone here. (Assuming it wasn't meant in jest.) I didn't remember the exact wording of the rule or I wouldn't have even asked. I didn't have the rules in front of me when I posed the question (my fault for not mentioning that) so I didn't have the option of combing through the rule book. Nobody was trying to finagle a few points here. I was just curious because it had come up in two different games and I was hoping someone here knew the definitive answer.

Incidentally, the second time it came up was in a game that I wasn't even involved in, with completely different players and they had read the rules themselves so clearly I'm not the only one who was left with the (however erroneous) impression that the rules were a bit vague.

Anyway, I'm over it now. Thanks to all for quoting the relevant part of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Soares
Portugal
Galiza, S. Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Paul you can't take both options. They're options. So you got to choose one. The gane would become easier if you could take both. The other way it would be like you could take all four helps in one turn. That wouldn't be fun or challeging, would it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveBl wrote:
Well, I do take a very slight offense at your tone here. (Assuming it wasn't meant in jest.) I didn't remember the exact wording of the rule or I wouldn't have even asked. I didn't have the rules in front of me when I posed the question (my fault for not mentioning that) so I didn't have the option of combing through the rule book.

Well, since you obviously have access to the internet:
http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_188_gameRule...

Not that you aren't allowed to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the rules were changed at some point? Because that question that Paul asked a couple of years ago is very clearly stated as one OR the other in the current rules:

rules page 3 wrote:
The player has 2 options for placing houses on cities which are along the route he is closing:
1. He may, in each province of the route, place 1 house in 1 of the cities of the route.
Or:
2. He may, in 1 province of the route, place 1 house in each city of the route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think (and I may be wrong) that Paul was being humorously sarcastic when he made that comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be. Only his hairdresser knows for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.