Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first game. It was 2-player and the scores ended 115-98. Looking at other scores that seems really low. We talked and agreed that diversifying and doing a little of everything was probably a bad idea, but I a wondering if we did anything else wrong. Also, because of our lows scores, the engineer bonuses at the end seemed really imbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what you call a "learning game". Two good players will both be above 300 in a 2p game. Doing a little bit of everything is a great way not to score points. You have time to maximize two or three things (of industry, 3 tracks, and ? bonuses) and you must focus your actions on those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even when I do a little bit of everything, I still get 300+, and I've gotten over 400 in games where I advanced a bit on all of the tracks.

I've never seen a score below 200. Are you sure that you were handling scoring correctly? Getting off to a slow start can be really bad in RR, but I've never seen it be this bad.

The thing you have to realize is that Russian Railroads is all about completing short term goals that will give you significant boosts while taking as many of the action efficient spaces as possible, and setting yourself up to complete future goals. Getting an additional worker, getting a ? bonus, unlocking a new type of track, starting to score the medal of Kiev, and hitting the 20 points/round space on industry are examples of good goals depending on how close you are to achieving them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
You have to count points every round. 6 times in a 2 Player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a couple of things we did wrong. First off, we didn't start with a train, so the first trains we bought were the 1's.

Second, I didn't realize that Rubles could replace workers.

Third, we didn't give the points for the person who went second.

Would that be enough to explain the issue? I think so, esp. considering all the actions we missed out on by not using money properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not giving points for going second shouldn't make that big of a difference.

Not realizing that rubles can be used as workers would have a profound impact, particularly in 2 player.

Starting without a locomotive would also make the start incredibly slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
Perhaps go through the 2-player setup again. For example, there should only be 2 locomotives of each number -- getting that wrong would make a major difference.

Where did your points come from? You could move along the industry marker early to get 10-15 points per round, easily, then leave it there -- that would be worth around 90 points alone.

What (?) bonuses did you pick up? They can be really valuable too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither of us went for the industry track early, I know that hurt. Also, we split our rails actions across all multiple lines several times which I now think was a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
geschichte wrote:
Neither of us went for the industry track early, I know that hurt. Also, we split our rails actions across all multiple lines several times which I now think was a bad idea.

That's the beauty of Russian Railroads: "This top line will give me an extra worker and the high-point types of rail, but the bottom line will give me an extra worker plus lots of points. But again, the middle line will give me bonus cards and double points! What to doooo?!" etc. etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.