Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: All by myself....... Dont want to be alllll by myself rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi all.
No this is not a spontaneous singing moment. In fact I need your help. I need some suggestions for solo player games. It can be either hardcopy or Ios.
Please help the boredom.

I have Lords of Waterdeep. Summoner wars. Catan and Ticket to Ride on Ios.

All suggestions welcomed.

I am more or a euro gamer than a war gamer if that helps.
Ellie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
Why, Ellie, you need to look into Solitaire Games on Your Table.

There's a whole guild of solo players here in BGG. No reason at all for you to be alone or bored, even if you play games by yourself (by choice or otherwise).

You can also have a look at SoloGame Variants. There you'll find solo versions of many favorite games.

And if you like, you can look at I Love This Solitaire Game! for more comments and suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Garnett
United Kingdom
Horley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I could help. Been a solo gamer for years but mainly with wargames / D&D. Be interesting to see what ideas others post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minas Tirith
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:

There's a whole guild of solo players here in BGG. No reason at all for you to be alone or bored, even if you play games by yourself (by choice or otherwise).

You can also have a look at SoloGame Variants. There you'll find solo versions of many favorite games.

And if you like, you can look at I Love This Solitaire Game! for more comments and suggestions.

Listen to Patrick. SGOYT has a year's worth of monthly geeklists that are loaded with game plays (over 400 last month) of people playing games that are solo friendly. Beware though, SGOYT will make you spend your money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Dice has a solo mode. I've only played it once so it was mostly a learning game. I think it has some promise though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, Jimbob, those aren't euro-games at all.

Check out Suburbia, Ellie. Lots of fun from 1 to 4 players, and chock full of nice, mathy optimization decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit more information would be helpful for helping you.

What about complexity, tendency towards Eurogames or Ameritrash, themes, time to play, involvement of luck, price,...?

Personaly, I don't enjoy playing games solo, although these work for me because of theme and/or storytelling:

Elder Sign

E Thematic, dice rolling game.
E Weight:
E Expansion available.

Eldritch Horror

E Thematic, storytelling, character progression.
E Weight:
E Expansion available.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island

E Thematic, storytelling, worker placement.
E Weight:
E Expansion available.

Of course, (almost) every cooperative game could be played solo and mentioned here:

Pandemic
Ghost Stories
Freedom: The Underground Railroad
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Castle Panic
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert

...besides quick fillers like Dungeon Roll or Zombie Dice, but like I said before - I don't enjoy them as much being played solo. Maybe you will, that's why I added them anyway.

Games that will definitely be recommended many times as solo games here will be Friday (as it is indeed a solo game only) and Mage Knight Board Game. (Wow, I never thought I would name these two games in one single sentence. )

Have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:

+1

JimbobJones wrote:
Race for the Galaxy also gets a decent solo mode with a "robot" player if you get the first expansion.

+1

And I'll also just mention Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island again, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. There you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Jameson
msg tools
My favourite eurogames to play solo:

Walnut Grove
At the Gates of Loyang
Lewis and Clark.

I'm currently trying out solo Caverna, but haven't quite made up my mind on it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:

Of course, every cooperative game could be played solo and mentioned here:

Hanabi would be tough to solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macgruff wrote:
Kyur wrote:

Of course, every cooperative game could be played solo and mentioned here:

Hanabi would be tough to solo.

Good point, sir ! Corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets see...off the bat,

SOS Titanic
Pandemic
Space Hulk Card Game
Red November
Lord of the Rings (Knizia)
Forbidden Desert
Forbidden Island
Most of the Solo Victory Point games..like Nemo`s War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great suggestions above to check out.

One more quick, easy set up, and such game to add. Friday
Is a small and fast which is nice sometimes when you have just bit of time. With quite a lot game and strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Many thanks to all. I will definitely check out a few of these suggestions. I had already earmarked Robinson Crusoe and as my main solo play is when away from home I will definitely check out Friday as a compact alternative.

As to tendencies etc.

My current love is Lords of Waterdeep. I have gotten Bruges recently and enjoying that. I play light war games ie memoir 44 with my partner and have a fondness for hidden agenda/end game conditions like Discworld Anhk-Morpolk.

I also have the option of Mice and Mystics which I could play solo. Anyone tried that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrino22 wrote:

Check out Suburbia, Ellie. Lots of fun from 1 to 4 players, and chock full of nice, mathy optimization decisions.

+1 Suburbia. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for iOS eurogames to play by yourself (or against AI) I find that Lords of Waterdeep, Le Havre, and Ascension are the way to go. Now, don't go getting any of the physical games to play by yourself, as the only reason they work on iOS is because of AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
iOS is a great way to play multiplayer games alone. I am really loving Lords of Waterdeep on iOS. Other good iOS solo options:
Carcassonne (2010 / Mobile)
Ingenious
Elder Sign: Omens
Pandemic: The Board Game
Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
has designed quite a few single player games. Many of them are PnP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Marvel Legendary is actually pretty good solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptWilly wrote:
Corrino22 wrote:

+1 Suburbia. thumbsup

Unless the expansion changed things enough, a big -1 for me. There are games built for solo play that are more entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
since Mage Knight Board Game & The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game were already mentioned...come to the heavy dark side called war gamming and play D-Day at Omaha Beach pre-order D-Day at Tarawa and find a copy of Thunderbolt Apache Leader...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elliebeth wrote:
Mice and Mystics .... Anyone tried that?

Very good game. I like it a little better solo because I can get more immersed in the story and characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy together with the first expansion Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm has a really challenging solo play "robot" player. Of course you could always play Keldon's AI (a downloadable PC version), but it is fun to actually play wit the physical cards. It is really a thing of brilliance how the designer created the solo variant. The strategy of the dice actually changes depending on which home world the solo "robot" has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Many Thanks everyone. I think I will go down the IOS route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.