Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
When players are purchasing cards from the bases, is there any order as to who buys first? I know that it is a co-op, but what if two players both want the same piece of equipment? Is there a way to resolve who gets it?

Also, because new cards are revealed as the ones above them are purchased, can players spend some credits and then wait for other players to buy cards, hoping that a cheap one will pop up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoever can do the best spaceship noises get's the card.

No, there's no resolution to your question, it's a co-op game with everyone participating at the same time, talk to one another to see who gets the card.

And yeah, you buy, wait and then buy again, sometimes it works out in your favour sometimes it doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Buying is all simultaneous. There are is no "player turn order" for anything in GSF. You can totally wait until something good shows up to spend any cash.

Be careful when buying cards though! You don't want to buy a card that would flip into something mostly harmless only to reveal a card that flips into something terrible with no money left to snatch it up! But thats an advanced strategy for another time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigfoote wrote:
Buying is all simultaneous. There are is no "player turn order" for anything in GSF. You can totally wait until something good shows up to spend any cash.

Be careful when buying cards though! You don't want to buy a card that would flip into something mostly harmless only to reveal a card that flips into something terrible with no money left to snatch it up! But thats an advanced strategy for another time.

Are you allowed to see the backs, or is that just memorization of what things flip into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
Bigfoote wrote:

Are you allowed to see the backs, or is that just memorization of what things flip into?

Technically, no you can't. The red icon on the right hand side of station cards hints at whether the flip side is a ship or a boost, so that can help a lot.

However, if you wanted to peak at card backs while trying to learn the game...I wont ask if you dont tell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchstickman wrote:
Whoever can do the best spaceship noises get's the card.

There are no noises in space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigfoote wrote:

Be careful when buying cards though! You don't want to buy a card that would flip into something mostly harmless only to reveal a card that flips into something terrible with no money left to snatch it up! But that's an advanced strategy for another time.

Of course, I could see a problem here similar to a situation that frequently occurs when we play Power Grid...

Everything that is visible is either junk so no one wants to buy any of it or the stuff is so expensive that no one can afford to buy anything. As a result stuff cycles out very slowly...shake

May not occur often but the potential would seem to be there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scootergsp wrote:
Bigfoote wrote:

Be careful when buying cards though! You don't want to buy a card that would flip into something mostly harmless only to reveal a card that flips into something terrible with no money left to snatch it up! But that's an advanced strategy for another time.

Of course, I could see a problem here similar to a situation that frequently occurs when we play Power Grid...

Everything that is visible is either junk so no one wants to buy any of it or the stuff is so expensive that no one can afford to buy anything. As a result stuff cycles out very slowly...shake

May not occur often but the potential would seem to be there...

The most expensive stuff that I've seen costs 60 credits. Any ship could almost always have enough to purchase that if they didn't use their cards before Requisition.

Also, if you really don't like the cards in a sector (and aren't willing to pay up to see what's underneath them), you can always abandon the sector and let the opposition cycle them for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grysqrl wrote:

The most expensive stuff that I've seen costs 60 credits. Any ship could almost always have enough to purchase that if they didn't use their cards before Requisition.

Also, if you really don't like the cards in a sector (and aren't willing to pay up to see what's underneath them), you can always abandon the sector and let the opposition cycle them for you.

I've only played one game so far (friend got his KS copy a couple weeks ago), we played the recommended starting scenario and had a bunch of the Opp ships that increased the cost of station cards. I know that we had at least one sector with two at once.

I completely agree with your assessment of the situation. It's just my nature to look for the potential bumps in the road.

Then again, no one ever said being a galactic hero was an easy job...laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.