100 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some Windwalker questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Baffoni Davide
msg tools
Hi everybody, we are a group of players waiting for the original.
In the meantime try the game proxing it using the infos on this forum and youtube.

We have some little questions.

How many dices rolls Ithaqua in combat?

How Rhan Tegoth "Eternal" ability works?

Thank you and sorry for any mistakes, my english is a little rusty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithaqua rolls dice equal to the smallest amount of doom points any player has. So if Great Cthulhu has 25, Windwalker has 20, and Yellow Sign has 15, Ithaqua rolls 15 dice.

Rhan Tegoth's thing is that he can ignore any kill or pain assigned to him by spending 1 power. Because units can only be assigned 1 kill or pain result per combat, this makes him essentially invincible as long as you have power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya,
Ithaqua is rolling X dices, X equals to half of the Doom Points of his opponent (rounded up)
Rhan Tegoth ability is costing one Power Point, it allows him to negate a Pain or a Kill assigned to him during a combat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
Ithaqua rolls dice equal to the smallest amount of doom points any player has. So if Great Cthulhu has 25, Windwalker has 20, and Yellow Sign has 15, Ithaqua rolls 15 dice.

Rhan Tegoth's thing is that he can ignore any kill or pain assigned to him by spending 1 power. Because units can only be assigned 1 kill or pain result per combat, this makes him essentially invincible as long as you have power.

Ithaqua's combat is actually equal to half his opponent's doom points (rounded up)

But, that is correct about Rhan Tegoth's Eternal ability. And, of course, Ithaqua provides his cultists with "ferox" when he's on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baffoni Davide
msg tools
Thanks to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Gelbzeichen
msg tools
Here's another Windwalker question: how long does WW's Ice Age token remain a region, once it has been played? It seems like, in a game with both Windwalker and Great Cthulhu, the former could really vex the latter by starting an Ice Age in the south Pacific, and thereby increasing the cost of awakening Cthulhu, who has to be awakened there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that it stays indefinitely, at least until Windwalker moves it. Also having to pay 1 more to summon Cthulhu isn't that bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Gelbzeichen
msg tools
That makes sense; thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also after thinking some more, having the ice age in the south pacific won't really help Windwalker. Windwalker isn't likely to interact with the stronghold of Cthulhu all that much. I think he'd rather have the ice age token in an area that he's trying to defend or attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes this is correct. Mostly he'll want to put it in defensive positions, or wherever sleeper is lethargy'ing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Ice Age increase the cost of cost-0 actions? For instance, does capturing a gate cost 1 power? Does Lethargy cost 1 power (since it's Tsathogguah's power, I could see an argument for it occurring in his area)? Would Black Goat need to pay a power to remove one of her cultists in that area (as per her spellbook requirement)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think only actions that have a cost get increased. Taking a gate doesn't have a cost, so that doesn't get increased. Lethargy does have a cost namely 0, so that does get increased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm I never thought about the taking a gate thing. It's an unlimited action, so I guess it does!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But Link is it actually described in the rules that taking a gate has a cost? The major difference being: a 0 cost ability will become 1, a no cost ability will still have no cost since there is no cost to increase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick rule check is in order!

edit: Control gate is a cost 0 unlimited action. Thusly you may not do it within the ice age area unless you're willing to pay 1 power to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valandor wrote:
But Link is it actually described in the rules that taking a gate has a cost? The major difference being: a 0 cost ability will become 1, a no cost ability will still have no cost since there is no cost to increase.

EVERY action in the game has a defined, numerical cost, even capture gate (I just looked it up in the text of the actual rulebook).

Here it is copied and pasted:

Control or Abandon Gate --> Cost 0

So, the ice age DOES make capturing a gate cost 1!!!
It makes sense, after all. It is still an unlimited action, meaning you do it in addition to 1 common or unique action.

EDIT: Link beat me to it with his nefarious ways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you want to take an Ice Aged gate with 2 monsters and a cultist, does that mean it costs 4 power to move in, then 2 power to declare combat or capture the cultist, and then 1 power to capture the gate? And if you wanted to instead move the controlling cultist to a different area, would that cost 2 power (1 for abandon gate, then 1 for moving out [which is specifically not affected by Ice Age])?

Also, is there some kind of restriction on unlimited actions? What I mean is, you obviously can't just abandon and then control a gate as your sole action for a round (cause that'd just be Lethargy). But I take it that once you have all 6 spellbooks, you CAN do nothing but battle (even though it's now also an unlimited action). So are Control/Abandon gates uniquely forbidden from being your sole actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuz you brain slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
So if you want to take an Ice Aged gate with 2 monsters and a cultist, does that mean it costs 4 power to move in, then 2 power to declare combat or capture the cultist, and then 1 power to capture the gate? And if you wanted to instead move the controlling cultist to a different area, would that cost 2 power (1 for abandon gate, then 1 for moving out [which is specifically not affected by Ice Age])?

Also, is there some kind of restriction on unlimited actions? What I mean is, you obviously can't just abandon and then control a gate as your sole action for a round (cause that'd just be Lethargy). But I take it that once you have all 6 spellbooks, you CAN do nothing but battle (even though it's now also an unlimited action). So are Control/Abandon gates uniquely forbidden from being your sole actions?

On your turn you have to take an action that is not unlimited. So I'm guessing that you wouldn't be able to only declare comat after you get your 6th spellbook (because it becomes unlimited).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
That's a strange loophole. No, if you have six spellbooks you can battle only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:

Thanks for the clarification!

If it's not too late maybe this should make it's way into the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving out of an ice age area does not cost more, because you are not "affecting" the ice age area. You are technically affecting the area you're moving into. So it would only cost 1 to move out. Abandoning the gate happens from within the same area I suspect and is different than moving out.

I hope that's clear for people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
existoid wrote:

Yes, to be ultra clear: when you have six spellbooks, you have the option of doing the single action of "battle" and nothing else, even though you may do something else, and then also battle (or battle twice, or thrice or even 4 times if you really want to!)

By the way, I have just ensured that there is an FAQ explaining that YES, you must pay 1 power to control or abandon a gate in an area containing the ice age token.

EDIT: it's not too late to alter text of the various expansion rulebooks, and this FAQ would go in Wind Walker's rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
thegrinder wrote:
existoid wrote:

Yes, to be ultra clear: when you have six spellbooks, you have the option of doing the single action of "battle" and nothing else, even though you may do something else, and then also battle (or battle twice, or thrice or even 4 times if you really want to!)

By the way, I have just ensured that there is an FAQ explaining that YES, you must pay 1 power to control or abandon a gate in an area containing the ice age token.

EDIT: it's not too late to alter text of the various expansion rulebooks, and this FAQ would go in Wind Walker's rules

Thanks Sandy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:

Thanks Sandy

Psst... Wrong Petersen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.