Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: new to game - should i get expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have briefly looked over some reviews of the expansions - dance with dragons and feast of crows, and they seem to indicate these shorten the game. This seems like a good idea to me if the game is long.

Should I get both 2nd ed expansions to enjoy this game as a shorter game?

Any general thoughts on base game vs expansions?

Thanks,
John
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only speak for the Dance With Dragons expansions, but I'd definitely do so favorably.

The expansions changes the starting situations for most Houses in interesting and challenging ways, which can add a degree of diversity to the base game. These changes are based on the situation in Westeros around the basing of the titular novel, so if you're a fan of the series and haven't read that book, beware of spoilers, and/or unknowing players asking why a certain house occupies a certain area, etc.

What's more, it shortens the game from 10 turns down to 8 ... and effectively does so modifing the opening situation to accommodate a round or two of passive expansion. In my opinion, the first couple of rounds in the base game are pretty slow and largely uneventful ... each player expands freely, and it isn't until the 3rd round until adjacent players may abut one another at mutual borders. The ADWD expansion accommodates this initial and invariable expansion into it's set-up, effectively kicking off a few rounds in, where you're straight into shared borders, negotiation, and/or bosh.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As spoilers go... How far does it actually go? Is the title taken literally? So is the board situation representing Westeros in the 5th book? And hows a feast for crows in that way? I mean: A lot of you watch the show I guess. Is ADWD already okay with the knowing from season 4 episode 8 so far? (Hope I'm not too offtopic with that additional question)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I think the base game is the best. The expansions are "nice to have's" but they really change the core game, IMHO. FFC is nice for a shorter 4p game, but it still is not as good as 6p base AGoT, again, IMHO.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
As spoilers go... How far does it actually go? Is the title taken literally? So is the board situation representing Westeros in the 5th book? And hows a feast for crows in that way? I mean: A lot of you watch the show I guess. Is ADWD already okay with the knowing from season 4 episode 8 so far? (Hope I'm not too offtopic with that additional question)


If a player has played the base game and then plays ADWD he/she will probably wonder why some characters are removed from the house cards (and others are not). The logical mind, with what's been going on in the series, will probably conclude that characters in base game that are left out in the expansion are dead. And that could be a spoiler too much for people to take.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWD is for groups who played the base game a lot and would like to freshen things up a bit.

FFC is for groups who predominantly play with 4 players and would like a goal-oriented, shorter game. It also seems to work slightly better with new players.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
FFC is for groups who predominantly play with 4 players and would like a goal-oriented, shorter game. It also seems to work slightly better with new players.


+1

If I'm trying to teach the game to people I'll do it with FFC. With the goals to achieve players can focus on getting a grip on how orders work instead of getting confused by EVERYTHING
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bagisbjorn wrote:
Anduin wrote:
As spoilers go... How far does it actually go? Is the title taken literally? So is the board situation representing Westeros in the 5th book? And hows a feast for crows in that way? I mean: A lot of you watch the show I guess. Is ADWD already okay with the knowing from season 4 episode 8 so far? (Hope I'm not too offtopic with that additional question)


If a player has played the base game and then plays ADWD he/she will probably wonder why some characters are removed from the house cards (and others are not). The logical mind, with what's been going on in the series, will probably conclude that characters in base game that are left out in the expansion are dead. And that could be a spoiler too much for people to take.


soo... Will I be spoilered then by knowing the series? Are there characters 'dead'/not present that are still around at the end of the 4th season?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bagisbjorn wrote:
If a player has played the base game and then plays ADWD he/she will probably wonder why some characters are removed from the house cards (and others are not). The logical mind, with what's been going on in the series, will probably conclude that characters in base game that are left out in the expansion are dead. And that could be a spoiler too much for people to take.


Nope, a logical mind could also assume that the expansion offered new characters because, well, it can be expected from an expansion. However, when a forum poster all but explicitly states "You know the characters that are removed in ADWD? Well they are kinda dead.", well THEN it becomes a spoiler.

The biggest actual spoiler is the positioning of the armies, and even that I wouldn't consider to be something major. To be honest, the 4th and 5th book with their sudden infusion of new characters are for the most part pretty light on "shocking events", so after the 4th season of the show is done, I really do not think ADWD represents a huge danger for spoilerization.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are up to date with the Series (as of Season 4, Ep around 4, by my count) you can safely play AFFC. Even if you are not, you'd have to paying a lot of attention (IE: TRYING to find the spoiler) to actually find spoilers.

DwD does have some very clear spoilers in my opinion, only two of wich are not yet revealed in the series (I have a feeling they will be revealed on the season finale, but I'm not certain.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the OP:

If you will play with 4, get AFFC, no doubt about it. It's a slightly different experience, more focused, it goes faster, really great.

Personally, I don't like DwD at all. It's higly unbalanced, so it depends on player knowing these imbalances and trying to balance them out themselves. I have DwD, have played it a few times, would never play it again.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben
Belgium
Transylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the expansions, watch the show and read the books, only I found the adwd expansion before I finished the book and yea there were spoilers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.