Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I started playing this game last week at a local con. I read some fairly volatile threads on proxies and I want to get an idea of what I can do without making any waves.

Am I right that replacing the teenieprise with my Star Fleet Battles constitution or a very nice balsa version of the 2009 constition would be OK?

At the con I saw one person create a Shinzon card by replicating the Picard card with a new art including adding a faction cost to the cost. He put his real card behind that one in the sleeve. That seemed OK to me, would others object to this practice?

One thing I have considered doing is to replace 4 existing ship minis with my 4 balsa 2009 minis for a game or two just to see the minis on the table. Unfortunately, three of the minis have no real correlary with the real Star Trek ships so they would just be replacing existing models with no statistics change. This is the most controversial since someone could conceivable be confused or misled by not being able to immediately identify the miniature. I would use proxy cards with the real cards behind the proxies. What do you think? I'm guessing this would be unacceptable for OP.

I got from previous discussions that we can't play proxy version of say the Sutherland or Defiant pending being able to get the real ones. Nor can one duplicate cards you have one copy of.

Naturally you can do anything in the comfort of your own home for casual gaming but I'm talking about OP.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Chow
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
First of all, welcome to the game. There is a really solid game behind all the uhhhh... debates that you may see here.

Anyways, any changes regarding game materials should always be approved by the Tournament Organizer.

For a lot of folk, custom miniatures and card artwork is fine, but have the originals close by. If your opponent requests that you put back the originals, then do so.

Proxies and card copies are a lot more sticky. Ultimately this up to the organizer. I've been lucky in that I've been able to borrow anything that I didn't own, and I would encourage this before using to proxies/duplicates.

So, yeah. Lots of answers will come from the organizer. Hope this helps, in a sort of ambiguously answered way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Knight
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much what Duckweiser said covers it.

Always check with your TO. Generally as long as you own the original of an item, most TOs won't mind.

Straight up printing out copies of cards you don't own is a no-no at most events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding, most people won't have a problem with visual changes, and if you do it well enough might compliment it.

Trying to proxy stuff that you don't own to avoid buying it or in some way alter the mechanics of the game, that'll send people over the edge and could easily be considered cheating.

If all you're doing is trying to mount a better looking ship model for when you play, by all means go for it, and if you need help, there are a few threads around about transferring over the micro machines or the heroclix models and such. (If you can find them buried in the hundreds if not thousands of other threads at this point.)

Good Luck, and welcome to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What they all said.

Basically the game is completely dependent on the base of the figure. As long as that isn't altered, custom ships should be fine. The model on top is just a visual representation and could basically be swapped for anything without really changing the game at all. That said, you should try to stick to at least using a similar class ship so that it can be identified easily. You wouldn't want to stick a Bird of Prey on the ToS Enterprise base, that would cause confusion and might annoy people, but putting a JJ Trek Enterprise on there probably wouldn't be an issue.

Always check with the venue running the games though. They have the final word on pretty much anything pertaining to the game in their store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The mini is just decoration. I always tell my opponent "You can have Lego Batman on top of that post for all I care, show me what cards you have, that's what I'm playing against."

I think most people would agree. As for Proxy cards, you should definitely check with your TO. Some feel that if you didn't buy or win the cards, you shouldn't be allowed to use them. Others feel just the opposite, that you should be resticted just because you weren't lucky enough to get your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
It's always up to the TO, but personally, having proxy cards with alternate art, and particularly alternate names, and having totally different ship models would bother me a bit. Having a balsa version of the same ship would be fine, but representing a constitution with a saber, akira, or Klingon model would become very confusing in the middle of a tournament.

I rely on the models and the cards to know what you can and can't do. Having a mishmash of new names and different ships makes it harder for me to make the right decisions under pressure. It gives you an advantage, one that I think is unfair. It's not always easy to see and read an upside down name on a tiny square base, and I shouldn't need a guide to know what your cards really are.

If we were just playing for fun though, it'd probably be a different story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how having a model that isn't related to the base would be confusing. That would be the problem of the JJ Abrams ships except for the Constitution which is still recognizable. Truth is I'm not that big a fan of the 2009 movie (their Kirk would get a skill of 1 in my game) but I kind of like the ships as interesting alternatives.

My four Abrams ships are the Constitution, the Kelvin, the Newton, and the Armstrong. The Armstrong looks like a three nacelled Reliant. That could probably sub for the Reliant. The other two don't have a correlary. The Kelvin is a single nacelle on top and a long almost nacelle like secondary hull. The Newton is even weirder. It has 2 nacelles on top and two on the bottom, though my model has two on top and one on the bottom. Attractive in both cases. I used to love the Saladin single nacelle destroyer and someone on the net made it up for Attack wing but there too I'd never play those ships except casually and with an opponent fully forewarned and consenting. The same guy did a card for the New Orleans too and I have a sweet balsa ship from the same guy.

I'll try that constitution and the SFB ones as proxies for the Constitution and if I play 2 (assuming I buy a second) they will have the advantage of being easily distinguishable. I also have Defiants from the same guy and they are beautiful little ships, smaller than the Whiz Kids ones. He also made me pretty Novas. He made me some really big Galaxy and Akira but they are really to scale of a normal sized constitution and my feeling is huge ships would be out of place in Attack wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.