17 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Yet Another Race Tuck Box Project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: DIY [+] TuckBox [+] Races [+] Eclipse [+] [View All]
msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

Recently I started looking into organizing my Eclipse box a little bit, and came up with an idea for these race tuck boxes. They are different from these, which were an inspiration, in a few ways:

* They are larger and can fit the homeworld hex of each race/color. Note that this makes my boxes less space efficient. That's fine with me, may not be for you.
* The back side of each box contains the summary of the rules of the races inside. This makes browsing the races much easier for people who are yet to memorize them. As it is, one needs to look up a race in the rulebook to understand the symbols on a race's board, and from my experience, most people just pick blue or yellow or whatever the color they like.
* These fit the length and height of the box exactly when arranged in 3x3, accounting for the height of the rulebooks and the boards. The width remaining exactly fits the width of my bit boxes.
* The top of each box contains the drawing of both races corresponding to the color inside. Will make matching boxes to boards easier.

The inserts are available on this link. Check them out and use them if and as you want.

I will print out a few in paper and take pictures, but I'm yet to find an online service that could print this on cardboard. There are no such service available in my small town. If you have advice on where can I get this made and shipped at a reasonable price, please PM me.

Thanks,
- Bocete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kosak
Croatia
Petrinja
Sisacko moslavacka zupanija
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great looking boxes.
But as I already have it I wouldn't make yours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome work - I might give these a go if I can find suitable card stock locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mistah Frooza
msg tools
mbmbmb
These are probably the best looking tuck boxes I've seen for Eclipse. Definitely going to have to print these out at some point. Plus, the comic sans gave me a good chuckle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very nice looking!

Also like the race summary information - a nice touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks

I updated the tuck boxes a little.

* They are about 1mm shorter. They used to fit (the pictures below were made with the previous version) but it was a bit tight.
* I made the flaps white, aside from the border of noticeable thickness. With the previous version it was a bit hard to see where the flap needs to be bend after cutting, this should make it much easier.
* The little angular cutouts on the long flap have been removed. They served only to show where the flap separates from the back side, and that is no longer needed.
* Exported to CMYK instead of RGB. I can't believe I forgot that.
* Race logos generally align better now.

I made a few of these tuck boxes using my black and white office printer, on plain paper. Just to demonstrate how these are supposed to look, until I find a way to have them made on card stock and in color.

And here's how they'll be positioned in the box. You can imagine the layout once all 9 are made, stacked in a 3x3 vertical grid. All the boards and the rulebooks are at the bottom and there's plenty of space for all other bits and the lid closes all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent work!

Do you have the ship-pack #1? I'm wondering if those ships will also fit? I think that it's unlikely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmb
I don't own the ship pack and I really can't tell. I've only seen pictures of those ships, with no sense of scale. I doubt it, especially if you also want to include the default ships to represent Terran/Magellan races.

Each box is about 5"x3.5"x1", I forgot the actual measurements and I am unable to check at this moment. You can always print one of these on paper and try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bocete wrote:

I made a few of these tuck boxes using my black and white office printer, on plain paper. Just to demonstrate how these are supposed to look, until I find a way to have them made on card stock and in color.

I'm not sure how thick of a cardstock you're looking for, but you can buy 100lb paper at most office supply stores. It's about the thickness of an index card and folds rather well. It's what I've used for all the tuck boxes I've made so far.

Though the dimensions of your boxes may leave you wanting something just a tad thicker - don't really know without test building one with 100lb paper.

Hmm, maybe if I get the time I'll build one over the weekend with the 100lb paper I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmb
If you do, please let me know. I could have the boxes printed on ~110 lbs paper, but it didn't feel sturdy enough to the touch. These boxes are fairly large and should maintain their form when stacked with things inside.

Maybe I'm overestimating my needs, I have no experience with this. The cardboard I have in mind would be used for a toothpaste box, for example. The cutout is designed for 0.5mm thick material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmb
Subject
Okay, I've completed this a while ago and just forgot to post pictures. Sorry about the poor pic quality.

Printed on normal paper, glued onto cardboard (about 1mm thick, not sure what exactly as a friend had extras and gave them to me). As useful as you can imagine, sorts everything nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
HelloLion wrote:
These are probably the best looking tuck boxes I've seen for Eclipse.

Tastes differ. I still like mine.

(there are boxes for the RotA races as well)

Download: Storage boxes for the different races
Thread: My storage solution - unpacking the box

That said, I have the ship pack now, and those ships don't fit these boxes. Besides, the ships are painted and I wouldn't want to just throw them in a box. The paint would get damaged.
So I'm working on an exciting new storage system for the ships - well, I think that it's exciting. Takes lots of space, though. I'll post pics when it's ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Pilhatsch
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bocete wrote:
I don't own the ship pack and I really can't tell. I've only seen pictures of those ships, with no sense of scale. I doubt it, especially if you also want to include the default ships to represent Terran/Magellan races.

Each box is about 5"x3.5"x1", I forgot the actual measurements and I am unable to check at this moment. You can always print one of these on paper and try.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. ninja

Has anyone built tuckboxes the can accomodate the ships from SP1? Has anyone out there done tuckboxes for the 3 new races from SotR?

I'm looking for templates to print. I really need to cut down setup-time when we play, and I think tuckboxes will help a lot. I would intend to have the action/pass-reaction card and the starting hex included in the box.

I'm using trays with lids for the population cubes, and that works really well, too.

Hopefully, someone can help me with my tuckbox-problem.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmb
Amenophobis wrote:
Bocete wrote:

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. ninja

Has anyone built tuckboxes the can accomodate the ships from SP1? Has anyone out there done tuckboxes for the 3 new races from SotR?

I'm looking for templates to print. I really need to cut down setup-time when we play, and I think tuckboxes will help a lot. I would intend to have the action/pass-reaction card and the starting hex included in the box.

I'm using trays with lids for the population cubes, and that works really well, too.

Hopefully, someone can help me with my tuckbox-problem.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I don't own SP1 so I have no idea how hard it would be to pack. But if you want to keep the vanilla ships to represent human players, and if you have both expansions, I am not optimistic about fitting all that in the box.

As for the 3 new races, those come without ships and wooden bits. You're supposed to reuse some other race's. The only thing specific to them are their boards. The use some extra bits that other races may gain access to through discoveries.. So i leave those extra bits in plastic boxes and baggies and leave it at that. Very underwhelming, but I can't think of a good solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Pilhatsch
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bocete wrote:
I don't own SP1 so I have no idea how hard it would be to pack. But if you want to keep the vanilla ships to represent human players, and if you have both expansions, I am not optimistic about fitting all that in the box.

As for the 3 new races, those come without ships and wooden bits. You're supposed to reuse some other race's. The only thing specific to them are their boards. The use some extra bits that other races may gain access to through discoveries.. So i leave those extra bits in plastic boxes and baggies and leave it at that. Very underwhelming, but I can't think of a good solution.

Thanks for your reply!

I was not intending to put both the terran standard models and the SP1 models together into the tuckbox. In our group Terrans are very rarely played. I would keep those ships in a seperate bag.

I agree that the new 3 races are represented a bit underwhelmingly (I also own that expansion). They would not be my concern right now. Like you, I keep their race-depending special bits currently in a seperate box.

Do you think you could adapt the layout for your really shiny tuckboxes to accomodate the SP1 pieces (instead of the Terran standard models)? Since the Orion ships are the largest, it would probably suffice to extend the thickness of the box accordingly, right? You would most likely need the measurements of the Orion ships, am I right? Do you think it would make sense to have different sized tuckboxes for all the different races, or just 1 size for all (ie. Orion)?
If 1 size for them all, a future SP2 would not be a big problem, don't you think?

I really cross my fingers that you could help me out here. That would be so awesome! I guess other players would be happy, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmb
I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment, as I have been for a while, I haven't played board games in months. I could send you the source files if you want. I made these in Inkscape which is free software, and changing the sizes and corresponding images shouldn't be too hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Amenophobis wrote:
Has anyone built tuckboxes the can accomodate the ships from SP1?

Well, there's this, but I don't know if you want to go that far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.