Subject: Overlord question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Lutz
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
Do you find yourself as Overlord secretly holding back cards and monster actions to let the heroes gain an advantage or win?

I end up doing this so my friends could enjoy the game more. I own the game and just enjoy playing with my friends and hanging out and if they lose too often, it's not fun for anyone.

Anyone else do this? Or are you a ruthless overlord?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My heroes say I don't pull punches. That I have no style and select best monsters for the task. I have heard some more.

If I'm better than them I won't hand them the victory. They have to earn it. If they make stupid mistakes I sometimes tell them of a better way to do something. But if their tactic for the quest is completely wrong I might tell them only after the quest.

Maybe I shouldn't write it, since some of them are reading BGG, but in my current campaign I have put restriction on myself that I haven't told them about. I allow myself to choose only monsters I haven't used in this campaign yet(unless I can't avoid it, if I can choose only monsters that I have already chosen). This will probably bite me in 2nd half of the campaign.

Ps. I consider things I was forced to use in a quest as "used", which means I don't have to select stuff like zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
In my current campaign the heroes are really strong and very well-equipped (Runeplate, Bearded Axe, Rage Blade, Mana Weave, Shield of the Dark God, Shadow Rune, and much more). I don't feel the urge to pull punches at all.

When we first played Descent, the group of heroes made wrong strategical decisions and was less organized and I was steamrolling them. I didn't pull punches then neither, because I think that the a bitter campaign prepares for a sweeter victory if they manage to win the finale.

This behavior, however, may cause in some players discontent and disengagement from the game. Try to read the mood and react accordingly. It's better to lose a fun campaign than win a frustrating one.
That said, don't let the heroes win your favor by whining alone: they must earn it (pretend free pizza & beverages).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Bellone
Italy
flag msg tools
In my case my girlfriend is the OL vs 3 heroes (Me). We started a campaign on monday and we decided to not hold back on anything. So far it's been a blast! She won the first 2 adventures (Masked Ball and Death on the Wing) and yesterday i won Castle Derion (rune master and knight saved the day on 2nd encounter). Every quest was very demanding tactics-wise and every little decision mattered; we felt there was little room for errors and many times we both paid dearly for them (if the other side noticed of course). Add to this that the perception of victory or defeat is amplified by the fact that we're actually playing a campaign and those will carry over in some way. So when you lose you actually LOSE, but when you win...what a great feeling!
In my opinion a game is really good when it manages to convey to the table strong feelings(remeber, feel responsibly) and a great sense of involvement.
Descent 2nd ed played as above, for me, totally delivers.
Obviously as others said you need the right gaming group to do this.

P.S. I noticed that undertanding when an adventure is lost and start focusing on searching really helps the heroes in future adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.