Nemo's War» Forums » General

Subject: Any updates on 2nd edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Turn to the Dark Side
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eager to get my hands on this! Any updates, or ETA on a release date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been at two game conventions this past week and am now charging into finals at my school, so NEMO has been moving forward without comment from yours truly.

From a development standpoint, it's been a lot of work for yours truly, as the playtesting team has had some excellent suggestions to streamline the game so I'm busy making it all ergonomic in the game's components right now. We're going to need to build one more new playtest kit to confirm that everything is placed "just right" and flows smoothly, but I'm super-satisfied that the gameplay in the box will be a triumph.

There's so many "little touches" in the game that went right, and with each NEMO motive you really ARE playing a "different game" now, which is very cool.

More when I have time!!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turn to the Dark Side
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome! Thanks for the update!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Just a quick-late update on the status of NEMO'S WAR second edition.

Well, we're working through a new (and, hopefully, final) beta build of the game. This final build has seen a few mechanics tweaks, but almost entirely in the name of better ergonomics and flow of gameplay. Things are a bit more clear and smoother maneuvering your hands over the playing surface to operation the various components, and some new elements of suspense and cool decision making have found their way into the game as well.

At the office this week, Kevin Fortuna has run through each of the missions, spotting typos and tightening sentences here and there. These different missions are all "working as advertised" with each delivering a different style of gameplay and decision points, which is fantastic! I plan to give all 4 of them a spin this weekend, my student's final projects permitting!

Then we'll be down to the first proofreading and off to Ian O'Toole for art and graphic work. I'm anxious to work with Ian (it will be our first time making a game together) and start sharing some of his fine art and graphics work with you. Concurrently, we'll be play-balancing the ending scores for each Nemo Motive and making sure you've got a savory challenge awaiting you at the helm of the Nautilus.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not yet available for order right? No way to get the 4th of July 10% discount
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to the release.

This weekend I started rereading the novel in preparation.

Found a nice nineteenth century English translation, by Henry Frith which seems to capture the period and have more interesting language than the more common modern translations, which are easier to read but can be a bit bland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Just a quick update:

We're wrapping up beta testing after integrating another half-dozen new cards. There's going to be a lot of great story underlying the gameplay. The core game is done and we're looking at the Optional Rules now just to make sure everything smoothly integrates.

Artist Ian O'Toole is starting his Herculean task and, so far, everything he's sent us to preview is... well, pretty darn amazing.

When I get the last of the testing completed and the ball is in Ian's court completely, I'll try to get him to do a "graphics update" on the game and we'll post that on the VPG website as a news article, don't you worry.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really really really looking forward to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anxious. Any new info Alan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there is news, but we're not reporting it yet.

Essentially, the artist, Ian O'Toole has the keys and is driving the project right now. He's "putting the pieces together" for the table layout (there are many important parts around the central map area.

We've received a graphics presentation of his work in progress and are very pleased so far. What I really need to do is an "art update" to give you all an impression where the game is headed graphically... but I wanted Ian to get a chance to "lock down" his vision for game table and get a chance to start noodling with the cards and counters a bit more.

It's a big job, and it's going to take a while. When we have an "art update" for you, we'll point you to it!

In the meantime, we've got a lot of other project irons in the fire, one of which is the NEXT Chris Taylor game, IMPERIAL STARS II -- which should be going out for proofreading very soon.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turn to the Dark Side
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see the new artwork!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just sent the artist, Ian O'Toole, an email saying we should do an "art update" in the foreseeable future, so we'll see what he can put together to share with everyone.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo, any new updates on a potential release date for the Gold Banner edition?
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turn to the Dark Side
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think release dates with VPG share the same rule as the first rule of Fight Club....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think release dates with VPG share the same rule as the first rule of Fight Club....

Correct!

Until it is in final production in-house, release dates are pretty unreliable. We know when a game is "coming along," and NEMO'S WAR certainly is. Right now, Ian is preparing to show us another batch o' art and then we can huddle up and try to put together an Art Update Article for everyone.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just appreciate the updates. Thanks Alan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries! I can't wait to show you more.

Everything is with Ian O'Toole now, and he's making some very nice stuff for the look and feel of the game that I think you will like very much.

More soon, I hope!!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
If all the year were playing holidays,
To sport would be as tedious as to work;
But when they seldom come, they wish'd for come,
And nothing pleaseth but rare accidents.
Henry IV I.ii

Having pushed the counters around earlier this spring/summer, I can assure you all that even in its play-test form the game rocks. Final art and development are only going to improve what is already an exceptional solitaire experience. I can't wait to dive into the world they're creating for us.

Hang in there everybody--the final product will be special, and worth the wait.

“The human mind delights in grand conceptions . ...”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan/VPG,

Any update on a sneak peek of the 2nd Edition Artwork or a proposed release date?

I'm going to try and pick this up with a Darkest Night Exp3 order and (if the stars align for the release dates) a copy of Villainous Vikings 2nd Edition, so I'm hungry for more information.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian and I have a tentative date for that article of October 1, I believe.

I suspect that NEMO'S WAR second edition might not make it out this year, as the art is taking a while, and I'd rather have Ian get it right than quickly.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Ian and I have a tentative date for that article of October 1, I believe.

I suspect that NEMO'S WAR second edition might not make it out this year, as the art is taking a while, and I'd rather have Ian get it right than quickly.

Alan Emrich

I guess the art is an important element that means you can't progress with production until that is complete.

To say that this game is 'eagerly awaited' is a bit of an understatement!

Would love to have had this as a Christmas present........

Maybe then, as a Birthday present in January......?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turn to the Dark Side
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to see the sneak peek! Can't wait to get my hands on this, but I say take your time. Would rather it be done right than rushed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, in case you missed the new 2nd edition logo from Ian O'Toole:

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:

Well, in case you missed the new 2nd edition logo from Ian O'Toole:

Alan Emrich

*drool*
If that's just the prelude, can you imagine how awesome the rest of Ian's art will be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.