Popular Tags: [View All]
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize that I haven't figured out the optimal strategies in this game yet. My first game, my first two turns I built two different craftsmen. Which allowed my opponent to place a second monument on their first turn. Then on turn two, upgrade both. Their turn three they took Xango and it just couldn't keep up.

So then I realized I needed to slow my own progress down so as to not help my opponent too much. It was closer but still Xango seemed to turn the game. Third game was drawn out and I only missed winning by one point.

Is there any good strategies against Xango in two player game? I am thinking build craftsman but leave price at three then take Anansai. The thought there is to slow them down enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
I realize that I haven't figured out the optimal strategies in this game yet. My first game, my first two turns I built two different craftsmen. Which allowed my opponent to place a second monument on their first turn. Then on turn two, upgrade both. Their turn three they took Xango and it just couldn't keep up.

So then I realized I needed to slow my own progress down so as to not help my opponent too much. It was closer but still Xango seemed to turn the game. Third game was drawn out and I only missed winning by one point.

Is there any good strategies against Xango in two player game? I am thinking build craftsman but leave price at three then take Anansai. The thought there is to slow them down enough.

I've never played 2 player so take what I say with several grains of salt.

But nothing you said indicts Xango. You built two different craftsmen on the first two turns. Why? Sounds like it allowed your opponent to easily grow his or her monuments.

This is not a building game. One doesn't build craftsmen to establish a source of income and then turn the income into VP and win. In most cases, you build craftsmen to either help yourself grow your monuments or to make it harder for your opponents to grow their monuments. Building two craftsmen early without planning it through is sort of the equivalent of calling craftsman early in Puerto Rico and then being surprised when it doesn't go well.

It's almost like our buddies over at Splotter Spellen were making a little joke on the word craftsmen....

I did say "in most cases" above, by the way. This game is too rich and too difficult to say anything more definitive than that. No doubt there are combinations of Gods in play, early auction actions by opponent, and terrain layouts where the exact correct thing to do is to build craftsmen to establish a source of income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah after the first game I realized not to build craftsman too fast. Is it better to take a first turn and put out another monument. Then follow it up with a craftsman so I can possibly upgrade both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no obvious answer to your question.

When I play, I try to build as few craftsmen as possible (none if possible). There's often someone else to do it, so I can keep my VR as low as possible.
This is not a winning strategy : this is a splotter's game, so there's nothing obvious or definitive.

Once you have an answer for the questions "should I build craftsmen ? if yes when and where ?" comes another terrific question : the price. I find very difficult to find a good price. Too low and you're too helpful, too high and someone else build the same kind of craftsman with a cheaper price. To me, that is another real question. Except for diamond

Just to answer your last question :
[quote]Is it better to take a first turn and put out another monument. Then follow it up with a craftsman so I can possibly upgrade both?[/quote]
You won't likely win with only one monument. You can build only one new monument per turn, so I guess it is often a good choice to build a second monument during the first turn, except if you can upgrade your first monument for cheap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. Hoping to play a few more times this weekend. It's my first splotter game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.