Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Hero combos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: myFavs [+] [View All]
Austin Bell

Loganville
Georgia
msg tools
One of my favorite aspects of this game is that it is a replayable game. I have all the expansions and love the fact that there are so many heroes to choose from, but sometimes it can be overwhelming who to choose so I'll usually only choose from a small group of heroes I know that are good together and bring a lot of fun. The point of this post is really just to broaden the scope for myself and all the readers what combos are good and fun to use.

So what are some of your fav hero combos? It can be for solo mode or multiplayer...

Here's a couple of my favs that I like using for solo:

Angel (or Daredevil)
Gambit
Wolverine (X-Men)

And then:

Forge
Ironman
Nick Fury (or Black Widow or Punisher)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there are many depends on what you are trying to do, for strength I like the following:

Hulk
Colossus
The Human Torch

Also a great underrated hero for solo play is Ghost Rider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I only play with random heroes, so, whichever combos are available in the current game. But whenever I see Iceman with another heavily Ranged hero in the setup, that's probably going to be my focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
There are loads of combos, too many to count really.

One of the things I find amazing in this game is that heroes that worked together in the comics work great in the game as well.

But honestly, almost anything that works with a single color would work great.

As there are too many to list, I'll just list one for every color:

Black : Forge, Ironman, Mr.Fantastic
Insane draw power and then massive attack to boost to the point that you can do it every single turn.

Blue : Emma Frost, Storm, Iceman
Again, insane draw power, recruit power and attack boosts from Iceman
It's less effective than the tech engine, but it is a lot easier to get it going since there's a lot more recruit in it.

Red : Black Widow, Rogue, Silver Surfer
Black Widow is easy as she is (in my opinion) the best hero in the entire game and all expansions combined. Especially for solo play as her uncommon card can easily go to 20+ attack when you get the engine rolling which isn't that hard at all. Rogue doubles its effectiveness as well as thins your deck.
The third spot can go several ways. I'm leaning towards Silver Surfer because of his draw power.

Green: Thing, Thor, Hulk
The reason I'm picking Thor here instead of Colossus like M D suggested is because greens lack recruiting and Thor not only brings it to the table, but it turns them into attack later in the game as does Thing

Yellow :
Wolverine, Hawkeye, Moon Knight
Basically the idea here is to get massive draws that work similar to the blue engine only it's more aggressive. Moon Knight is needed because not a lot of good yellow heroes give you recruit points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Green: Thing, Thor, Hulk
The reason I'm picking Thor here instead of Colossus like M D suggested is because greens lack recruiting and Thor not only brings it to the table, but it turns them into attack later in the game as does Thing

I'd actually try Colossus instead of Thor. One, with Thing in the mix, you don't need all that extra recruit from Thor (though his rare is nice), especially that Instinct Thing that's 2R, F4 combo +2R. Second, Colossus can provide minor draw effects (severely lacking in Green overall, these three heroes very much so) with his discard instead of taking a wound common, which also has 2 Recruit, but his other common also gives wounds, either to be cancelled with the other common or to boost Hulk's Instinct version. Lastly, Thor's Ranged cards don't have any other interaction except with his own cards here, while the uncommon Covert Colossus has Strength combo for another +2 Attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bell

Loganville
Georgia
msg tools
I've tried random, but I'm not really into that. What I'm looking for is good combos, but I'm asking for y'all's favorites that y'all have played with before. Those are always the most fun to play with anyways. Of all the games that y'all have played...what is your Favorite combos that you have used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a combo is too good (like Iceman with two other Ranged heroes), game becomes too easy. It already is on the very easy side even with purely random heroes. In my 160 plays with random heroes used in the last 155+, there hasn't been a single game where hero combos haven't come up. It's probably possible to randomize five heroes that have zero combos between them, but so far nothing of the sort has come up. And even if it did, most of the heroes combo with their own cards.

To me the pull in Legendary and Thunderstone is doing a random setup and seeing what can be done with that setup, adjusting to what's on offer instead of knowing before setup what you'll do (with a hand-picked setup). Similarly in games like Arkham Horror and Talisman, random characters, making the most of what you get, instead of cherry-picking the same few every time out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
If a combo is too good (like Iceman with two other Ranged heroes), game becomes too easy. It already is on the very easy side even with purely random heroes. In my 160 plays with random heroes used in the last 155+, there hasn't been a single game where hero combos haven't come up. It's probably possible to randomize five heroes that have zero combos between them, but so far nothing of the sort has come up. And even if it did, most of the heroes combo with their own cards.

To me the pull in Legendary and Thunderstone is doing a random setup and seeing what can be done with that setup, adjusting to what's on offer instead of knowing before setup what you'll do (with a hand-picked setup). Similarly in games like Arkham Horror and Talisman, random characters, making the most of what you get, instead of cherry-picking the same few every time out.

I like the randomized setup as well, or barring that, having each player pick a favourite character, not knowing what the special abilities are. My most disastrous game was a "too many leaders not enough doers" squad, with Professor X, Emma Frost, Nick Fury, Capn America, and Cable. Not a single bit of synergy between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mooken wrote:
I like the randomized setup as well, or barring that, having each player pick a favourite character, not knowing what the special abilities are. My most disastrous game was a "too many leaders not enough doers" squad, with Professor X, Emma Frost, Nick Fury, Capn America, and Cable. Not a single bit of synergy between them.

What do you mean surprise ? Prof X + Emma = win. Emma's common Ranged recruit draws a card in addition to 1R, Prof X's common Ranged (costs only 2 to boot) after Emma is 3 Attack each. Emma's Uncommon is probably the best card to get, especially running mostly X-Men (3 Attack + each player reveal another X-Man to draw a card), almost guaranteed card draw. You'd draw plenty and get double digit Attack very easily. Only thing you'd struggle with is KOing SHIELD starters unless you get Prof X Instinct and combo with Emma's Uncommon or use Battlefield Promotion Nick Fury (ideally Sentinels or Maggia Goons as Henchmen), but decent amount of draw effects from Emma, nothing too diluting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
mooken wrote:

What do you mean surprise ? Prof X + Emma = win. Emma's common Ranged recruit draws a card in addition to 1R, Prof X's common Ranged (costs only 2 to boot) after Emma is 3 Attack each. Emma's Uncommon is probably the best card to get, especially running mostly X-Men (3 Attack + each player reveal another X-Man to draw a card), almost guaranteed card draw. You'd draw plenty and get double digit Attack very easily. Only thing you'd struggle with is KOing SHIELD starters unless you get Prof X Instinct and combo with Emma's Uncommon or use Battlefield Promotion Nick Fury (ideally Sentinels or Maggia Goons as Henchmen), but decent amount of draw effects from Emma, nothing too diluting.

Cable is X-Force, so the only XMen you have are Emma and Prof X. In a four player game, where you only have 1-2 pairs of synergies, everyone was flailing very very badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:
It's probably possible to randomize five heroes that have zero combos between them, but so far nothing of the sort has come up.

Hulk, Forge, Jean Grey, Nick Fury*

Hulk works on greens and wounds, which none of the others do.

Forge is tech only which none of the others do

Jean Grey works on bystanders and Xmen which none of the others do.

Nick Fury works on shield only

* Technically, Nick Fury has a green card so you could claim a "combo" with hulk, but said card works based on shield agents that do nothing for Hulk itself...

Still needs a fifth hero. Can't be an Xmen, can't have green or black cards and can't rely on red or blue cards or bystandards or work with wounds.

What's left? My first thought is BlackCat which would fit nicely except her rare is based on bystandards and works with Jean Grey.

Black Spiderman? maybe? I don't recall his cards by heart yet, does he have combos with any of the above?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:

I'd actually try Colossus instead of Thor. One, with Thing in the mix, you don't need all that extra recruit from Thor (though his rare is nice)

The problem is, Thing's yellow card requires buying more copies of himself (before the others) and may not always be available and his can convert recruit to attack but at a lower ratio, while Thor enables you to get on top of that and his rare gives you a 1-for-1 ratio. Which you should easily get in solo anyway (loads of recruits and nobody is fighting you over the cards)

Colossus can be a great addition, especially for specific setups (Legacy Virus and\or Mephisto) but I still believe that Thor can help you get there faster. With Thor, you are never afraid to have too many recruit cards do to his commons and rare (yeah, the uncommon would be useless) and thus can easily get to the really high end expansive cards especially Hulk and Thing.

Although of course both Ghost Rider and Ironfist can be great in the mix as well. Ironfist's rare is the best card in the game which is why it is so expansive.

Ghost Rider can give you draw power to boost Things up to insane proportions.

In an all green deck, Each if of his common cards become a draw 1, versatile 1 and an extra +3 for Thing's rare. That's huge for such a cheap card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Forge is tech only which none of the others do

Common Tech Nick Fury is 2A (with +1A on Tech combo). Forge+Fury (Furgy ?) wouldn't be all that improbable pairing. You'd even get to clear off SHIELD starters with Battlefield Promotion if you wanted, although SHIELD one probably better off discarded for Forge's Tech combo draw effect.

Quote:
Black Spiderman? maybe? I don't recall his cards by heart yet, does he have combos with any of the above?

Or just base Spider-Man, though his Uncommon Tech might work with Forge, but none of the other characters have any 2-cost cards, so he's most likely a dead draw quite often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dam the Man wrote:
mooken wrote:

Cap/Cable/Fury is also one of the better uses of Cap's "want different colors" cards that I've seen. He's got yellow and green, Cable has tech and blue, Fury has tech and red. Should be able to generate huge stats there.

In fact ... I think I want to play this 5 person team. Someone give me a Scheme and a Mastermind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
Cap/Cable/Fury is also one of the better uses of Cap's "want different colors" cards that I've seen. He's got yellow and green, Cable has tech and blue, Fury has tech and red. Should be able to generate huge stats there.

Only thing missing is draw power, you're most likely going to have to do your thing with the standard 6-card hand (Emma/Prof pairing would have solid draw power).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Perron
Canada
flag msg tools
One of my favs that is both very effective and thematic is to use Angel, Cyclops and Iceman. Angel and Iceman don't really trigger each other very well but Cyclops brings out the best in both of their abilities. Just like he was leading the X-men into battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The blue Emma also works great with the Cap combo. Draw another card, hope it's something different!

But of course with random setups, beggars can't be choosers. You don't always get draw cards, nor deck-thinning cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spider-Man, Symbiote Spider-Man and Gambit, or really any Hero with a good 2 cost since Black Spider makes average Spider bonkers.
The amount of cards drawn is insane plus you can use Gambits' Stack the Deck to make it even more bonkers. You can draw your whole deck and play a Shadowed Spider with +8 or more strenght. Once you got the engine going the game breaks... and you win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Minor
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! What a great thread! Totally fun to read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been beating every scheme with Spider+Symbiote+Electra. Really bonkers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said this before somewhere on these forums but now that there is an appropriate place to share it here it is. I got the base game and Dark City with the same purchase. My buddy came over and we played a Gang Wars (Amazing Spider Man - issues 284-288) game with Kingpin, Maggia Goons and Sreets of New York/something else - can't remember what - against Punisher, Spider Man, Elektra, Daredevil, and Wolverine. Elektra and Wolverine weren't in the 5 issues, but thematically they would work. Elektra and Daredevil have a relationship and Wolverine has been with just about everyone so he would work. Falcon was in the series so I'm hoping that he ends up becoming a playable option at some point in future. So much fun! Twenty-Seven years ago I remember patiently waiting each week to find out what happens over that 5 comic series. The fact that I can relive that small series via a card game 27 years later is super.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W C
msg tools
mb
Try using Black Widow + Spiderman + Nick Fury.

Spiderman + Black widow keeps rescuing bystanders and nick fury is strong by himself Lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Mikic
msg tools
mbmbmb
Combos I like solo (usually play against galactus, his herolds and baby hope scheme, henchment can be anything and advance solo rules) P.S I dont have the spider man expansion.

Spider-man
Electra
Bishop

Wolverine xman
Wolverine xforce
Iron fist

Cable
Mr Fantastic
Night crawler

Iron-man
Forge
Punisher

Rogue
Hulk
Colossus

Thor
Silver Surfer
Domino

Can list more but that will make post too long, enjoy discovering good combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sainoq wrote:
Can list more but that will make post too long, enjoy discovering good combos.

Discovering good combos or stacking the deck by cherry-picking the best combos? Like the Forge/IM/Punisher, tech, tech and more tech (with not lack of card drawing either), there's so much synergy there, what's the point, you're going to win (in that setup, Forge's rare is pretty much guaranteed to knock down the Mastermind twice the turn he hits the table). And vs Galactus? Probably all but certain three defeats in a single turn (first attack against Gal, he'll probably be at 0 Attack).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Mikic
msg tools
mbmbmb
@ Rauli Kettunen

Its more for a variant I play with friends the list of OP decks as its a race to get most points basically.
(each player picks 3 heroes and has a choice of 3 to buy from with that particular deck, don't always win even with cherry picked teams due to only having 3 to buy from at a time, not 100% gonna get what you need fast enough)

I use randomiser if solo, also lead to something I never considered.

Mr Fantastic
Deadpool
Charles (prof X)

didn't realise till this came up random that all mr fantastic was odd numbers, and prof X has alot of 3's and 5's. with the amount of cards you get in your hand the hits are big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.