Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two plays of New Haven under my belt and am really enjoying it, however I have one rules clarification that I'd like to ask regarding the Shipment Tile!

What is the rule regarding the orientation of the Shipment Tile being flipped over at the end of your turn?

We have played two different ways:

1. (first game)
The player who placed the harvest tile can choose an orientation of his liking when the tile flips.

2. (second game)
The tile flips to match the orientation of the board. Lining up with the resource graphics already printed on the actual board.

I apologize if this distinction is in the rule book, perhaps I have missed it.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worden
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stephen, thanks for playing and glad you are enjoying!

Both of the ways you played are interesting but different than our intended rule. The rules state to play it first face down, collect the resources, finish the turn, then flip face up.

The intention was the face up flip would be "blind" and however the tile is oriented after the flip is how it is placed (so no player choice and no re-orienting). Once you have played this third way, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about each.

Thanks, Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the response!

Our third game was played Thursday night and we flipped Shipments randomly as per your intention.

I don't feel it affected the game in any particular way and it was equally functional as using the board orientation.

Personally, I must admit I prefer the first experiment we did where the active player chose the orientation. I feel this infuses a nice dose of strategy into the game and potentially offsets a bad luck run of Harvest Tile or building drawing (from the bag). A player then has the opportunity to intentionally block strong resource chains that are active, or even go so far as to attempt to set something up for their next turn.

Overall, I am really digging the game and am now aiming my sights on procuring a set of the Charters victory point tiles ...

I am hoping to get another play in sometime later this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worden
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmb
Agreed that the random flip is little different than orienting the icons with the board, neither allows for player decision. I like the player choice option and will test it out.

We worked hard to balance the decision points in the game so it would be both accessible to casual gamers, and interesting to more strategic players. The shipment tile action was a late design addition to counter unlucky draws. The other secret to mitigating poor luck is to draw as many building tokens early in the game as possible, which provides one with more options later.

Have you tried the B side, or the advanced rules? Thanks again and glad you are enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I finally got to play this game last night after buying it a month ago. We played a 2 player game and had this same question. We are very mean to each other when we play so we chose to orient the shipment as we saw fit when we flipped it over. We also held out on playing the shipment till our last turn so we could spend the extra resources playing face down buildings to fill in as many gaps as we could. We really liked this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.