Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Planned Assault ignoring Corp's additional costs (Strongbox, Ruhr Valley) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Fairfax
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can the runner play Planned Assault, fish out say Dirty Laundry, then ignore the additional costs imposed by Strongbox (extra click to steal an agenda) or Ruhr Valley (extra click to make a run on this server)?

Quote:
As an additional cost to play this event, spend [Click].
Search your stack for a run event and play that run event (paying its play cost), ignoring any additional costs. Shuffle your stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
No way boss. Ignore additional costs to play the event, like doubles. You still have to pay to steal. It is a separate thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fairfax
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am in agreement with you, I think PA's "ignoring any additional costs" should be interpreted as "ignoring any additional costs to play that run event".

But, one could interpret it as "play that run event, ignoring any additional costs [incurred during play]".

I guess this would spill over into NAPD contract and Fetal AI's additional costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mbmbmbmbmb
yoyoson wrote:
I am in agreement with you, I think PA's "ignoring any additional costs" should be interpreted as "ignoring any additional costs to play that run event".

But, one could interpret it as "play that run event, ignoring any additional costs [incurred during play]".

I guess this would spill over into NAPD contract and Fetal AI's additional costs.

Not even remotely. The only additional costs that this ignores are the additional cost to play the run event ONLY (like the previously mentioned "doubles").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Iglesias
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yoyoson wrote:
Can the runner play Planned Assault, fish out say Dirty Laundry, then ignore the additional costs imposed by Strongbox (extra click to steal an agenda) or Ruhr Valley (extra click to make a run on this server)?

Quote:
Search your stack for a run event and play that run event (paying its play cost), ignoring any additional costs. Shuffle your stack.

I'm quite sure the extra costs to steal agendas do not apply, because Planned Assault ignore extra costs to play.

But in the case of Ruhr Valley...

Ruhr Valley
Type: Upgrade: Region
Cost: 6
Faction: Corp Haas-Bioroid
Faction Cost: 3
As an additional cost to make a run on this server, the Runner must spend [Click].
Limit 1 region per server.
Known for luxury hoppers and a delectable sauerkraut.
Trash: 4
Set: Future Proof Number: 111 Quantity: 3
Illustrator: Yoann Boissonnet

Ruhr Valley imposes an extra click to make a run. And this is speccificaly written as an additional cost. I mean, Account Siphon should be now 0cr and 1click (additional cost).
Using Planned Assault you pay the credit cost and ignore additional costs... like the extra click imposed by Ruhr Valley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shkar wrote:
yoyoson wrote:

Quote:

I'm quite sure the extra costs to steal agendas do not apply, because Planned Assault ignore extra costs to play.

But in the case of Ruhr Valley...

Ruhr Valley
Type: Upgrade: Region
Cost: 6
Faction: Corp Haas-Bioroid
Faction Cost: 3
As an additional cost to make a run on this server, the Runner must spend [Click].
Limit 1 region per server.
Known for luxury hoppers and a delectable sauerkraut.
Trash: 4
Set: Future Proof Number: 111 Quantity: 3
Illustrator: Yoann Boissonnet

Ruhr Valley imposes an extra click to make a run. And this is speccificaly written as an additional cost. I mean, Account Siphon should be now 0cr and 1click (additional cost).
Using Planned Assault you pay the credit cost and ignore additional costs... like the extra click imposed by Ruhr Valley.

It's a tricky one. The additional cost of Ruhr Valley is to make the run, NOT to play the event. Planned Assault could be argued to be only referring to the play cost. I think a ruling is in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Planned Assault only ignores the additional costs of playing the Run Event. It is the resolving of the Event that triggers a run. Stronbox, Ruhr, NAPD, etc still affect the Runner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely the text would have to say "make a run using the run event, ignoring all additional costs" to ignore 'Ruhr Valley'? What it actually says is "play that run event, ignoring all additional costs", so the ignoring costs seems to be referring to the act of playing of the event only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Sörensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though what most people here are saying is what makes the most sense, it is as usual not obvious from reading the card as written. A ruling is definitely in order.

This brings to mind the confusion with Sundew and run events. There, it was ruled that playing a run event on Sundew's server counts as spending a click to make a run on it. That wasn't in any way obvious from any card text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattes wrote:
Though what most people here are saying is what makes the most sense, it is as usual not obvious from reading the card as written. A ruling is definitely in order.

I don't know about other languages, but in English it's 100% clear. "Ignoring additional costs" is an appositive ammending "play that event". The effect only applies to the text it ammends, not to anything you may wishfully hope it extends to but is not written on the card.

Hattes wrote:
This brings to mind the confusion with Sundew and run events. There, it was ruled that playing a run event on Sundew's server counts as spending a click to make a run on it. That wasn't in any way obvious from any card text.

Again, in English this is perfectly clear. Sundew is written carefully and specifically to allow this. The exact text in English:

Sundew wrote:
The first time the Runner spends at least 1 [click] on his or her turn, gain 2c unless the Runner just initiated a run on this server.

If it said "unless the Runner just made a run", then it would mean only through the make a run action, but it says "unless the runner just initiated a run" which could be caused by anything tbat says "make a run" on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry but I don't see the need for a ruling here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.