Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Q You
Canada
MISSISSAUGA
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love that this is coming but wish we can incorporate the older games.
But looking at the new dice faces / fame..

Is it possible to play with characters and power from the old game together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That source is not very clear about evolutions. If you can't use evolutions from KoT in KoNY then monters are not compatible. You can take the board and the standee but.. who cares? All monsters are the same without evolutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd imagine the first expansion for KONY if it doesn't exist already would be draftable/selectable evo cards that any monster can use.

That way your monster is different each game and the others may not necessarily know what you have or can do.

Hopefully it isn't just roll 3 hearts and draw the top evo card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzo wrote:
That source is not very clear about evolutions. If you can't use evolutions from KoT in KoNY then monters are not compatible. You can take the board and the standee but.. who cares? All monsters are the same without evolutions.

Except that some people HAVE to be the Cyber Bunny, so they'll be happy about that.

Overall, it seems weird to even talk about compatibility. KoNY is not an expansion; it's more like a new edition. They are two different games with similar themes and physical components.

And I'm sure they'll print KoNY-compatible evolutions at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Dizon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krychek wrote:
Overall, it seems weird to even talk about compatibility. KoNY is not an expansion; it's more like a new edition. They are two different games with similar themes and physical components.

I've opted to call it an expandalone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling people will be combining the two regardless of whether it's recommended by the publisher or not. It's close enough that any conflicts can just be house ruled, I'm guessing at any rate. Time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branden Sprenger
United States
Collinsville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think iello would be crazy not to make a small expansion that adds power ups to these monsters. Any KoT fan would buy it and it is good business IMO.

I also agree a draft mechanic would be fun with power ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
j_holmes wrote:
I'd imagine the first expansion for KONY if it doesn't exist already would be draftable/selectable evo cards that any monster can use.

That way your monster is different each game and the others may not necessarily know what you have or can do.

sprengermon wrote:

King of Tokyo: Power Up! already includes rules for drafting Evolutions.
http://www.iellogames.com/download/King_of_Tokyo-Power_Up-Ru...
Last page, Variant 3: Evolutions Draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzo wrote:
Sorry if this was not clear enough: you'll be able to play with the monsters from King of NY in KoT (and the other way around),as the monster boards and stand-up figures will be the same format, but the existing Evolution cards won't be compatible with King of NY, as it is a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SinisterSamurai wrote:
j_holmes wrote:

sprengermon wrote:

That PDF link is dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
Cro1 wrote:
SinisterSamurai wrote:
j_holmes wrote:

sprengermon wrote:

That PDF link is dead.

Still works just fine for me. It opens the PDF in a new tab, and I can right-click save-as and open the PDF as a PDF. If it still fails for you, you can just consult your Power Up! rulebook, since that PDF is the same thing.
Or
Quote:
Evolution Draft
• Mix all players’ Monster Evolutions together,
then deal eight Evolutions to each player
(they each will have a pretty bizarre set of 8
Evolutions).
• Each player chooses one Evolution from
his set of 8 at the same time and passes
the remaining Evolutions to the player on
his left. Then each player chooses another
Evolution from these 7 at the same time,
and passes his remaining Evolutions to the
player on his left. Repeat this process until
each player has selected 8 cards.
• Then each player shuffles his own deck, and
puts it face-down in front of him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
As for the standard power cards (the ones you buy from a deck with Energy/lightning), http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/27965.html indicates that Iello was looking at ways to let you use those cards in KONY. There are 64 cards included in King of Tokyo, and 76 total if you include all of the non-Garfield's Gift official promos.

Right off the bat, there's a few cards that can't be used based on their precise description. They all reference either [1], [2], [3], or Tokyo, which are items that, near as we can tell at this early stage, don't exist in King of New York.
*Background Dweller
*Burrowing
*Complete Destruction
*Drop From High Altitude
*Freeze Time
*Gourmet
*Herd Culler
*Jets
*Omnivore
*Poison Quills
*Urbavore
*Intimidating Roar (Promo)
*Unstable DNA (Promo)

So we still have 63 cards that don't require any form of "translation." Complete Destruction is easily re-translated, as it's clearly meant to represent a Dice "Royal Flush." And you might be able to substitute "Tokyo" for the borough of "Manhattan." (It's a little early to tell, but all signs point to Manhattan acting like Tokyo.) Drop From High Altutude, Jets, Borrowing, Urbavore, Intimidating Roar, and Unstable DNA might still be usable in KONY. This leaves Background Dweller, Freeze Time, Gourmet, Herd Culler, Poison Quills, and Urbavore as needing more specialized attention.

There is another possible issue to consider. Supposedly, in King of New York, there are three dice relating to your monster issuing damage. You have a claw die face to attack other monsters (ala KOT), a building die face to attack structures (and gain points, but also increase Military Response), and a foot or some such to attack the Military Response. In addition, you can be attacked by Monsters (ala KOT) and the Military Response.

Therefore, cards that reference attacks and damage (such as Spiked Tail) might need a little specification. There are significantly more of these cards, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really, really REALLY hope (demand) that the new monsters (specifically the whale) get a deck of evolution cards that will work with KOT. Even if the monsters w/ evolutions won't work specifically in NY, that's no reason why they cant hop across the ocean and visit Tokyo once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
roufus wrote:
I really, really REALLY hope (demand) that the new monsters (specifically the whale) get a deck of evolution cards that will work with KOT. Even if the monsters w/ evolutions won't work specifically in NY, that's no reason why they cant hop across the ocean and visit Tokyo once in a while.

I don't think IELLO is the type of publisher that would do that kind of thing. I would be glad to be wrong though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
They'll probably do that in an expansion pack. Giving Tokyo Evolutions to the New York monsters would mean 48 Evolution Cards (Or 56 and a New Monster), which is probably enough to fill out Expansion Pack 2 or Collector's Pack 2. I'd bank on it, in fact.

For the reverse, bringing Evolutions to New York, this is actually seeming less likely. The KoNY page on Iello's website lists the contents, and it doesn't look like New York compatible Evolutions of any variety are being included. If they decided to Expand New York and bring Evolutions to it, they'd need to do between 12-17 decks for the existing monsters. (6 Tokyo, 6 New York, 2 Halloween, 1 Power Up, 2 promo). I'm not sure what the legalese surrounding Pouic of Tokyo and Brockenbar are, but I doubt they'd be able to distribute evos for them.
That'd be a lot of content for a single pack, but breaking it up into two or three packs seems... greedy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.