Attack Sub» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, having realized that "Attack Sub" is still alive in our hearts, i would have some questions about rules whistle:

1) Passive/Active Sonar:
a) When PS (passive sonar) card is played by one of my ship can i use
this action to attempt sonar contact against ALL enemy ships? (or
against ONLY ONE)?
b) If against ALL enemy ships, is only one RN drawn for ALL ships or i have to draw one different RN for each ship i attempt to contact? e.g.: i play a Passive Card against 4 enemy ships; have i draw ONLY ONE RN and add it to my detecting ship sensor value against ALL enemy detection values OR, for each enemy ship, have i to draw a separate RN?
c) (a) and (b) questions for Active Sonar.

2) If a chopper, during opponent's turn, uses a Passive Sonar card against enemy Active Sonar or Weapon Lock, does it check for duration?

3) Can a chopper play Battle Station and play two different cards so?

Thank you a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Niedzinski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
falagar wrote:

1) Passive/Active Sonar:
a) When PS (passive sonar) card is played by one of my ship can i use
this action to attempt sonar contact against ALL enemy ships? (or
against ONLY ONE)?

Againts all enemy ships by this one ship on which you played card (but you don't need to check detection against all enemy ships, you can pick and choose ships that you like).

falagar wrote:

b) If against ALL enemy ships, is only one RN drawn for ALL ships or i have to draw one different RN for each ship i attempt to contact? e.g.: i play a Passive Card against 4 enemy ships; have i draw ONLY ONE RN and add it to my detecting ship sensor value against ALL enemy detection values OR, for each enemy ship, have i to draw a separate RN?

Separate for each ship with effect applied individually.

falagar wrote:

c) (a) and (b) questions for Active Sonar.

Same as for passive. Only difference that you have +1 modifier and enemy can play Passive Sonar against you in response (although I can't remember if ships that you are not trying to detect can do that, but I think they can).

falagar wrote:

2) If a chopper, during opponent's turn, uses a Passive Sonar card against enemy Active Sonar or Weapon Lock, does it check for duration?

Need to check that one, but I think it doesn't (beside I think I never had such situation, the card can always be played by a ship that sended helicopter).

falagar wrote:

3) Can a chopper play Battle Station and play two different cards so?

Need to check that, I'm not certein. I think it could but then needed to check twice for duration or something.
Beside, the only thing you can play on helicopter is detection and attack. Because actions can't be same for Battle Stations you would need to use this two. I found that this application is rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
niedziak wrote:

Thank you a lot for your reply ...can you point out where, in rules book, this is written?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falagar wrote:
niedziak wrote:

Thank you a lot for your reply ...can you point out where, in rules book, this is written?

4. SENSOR DETECTION (A/PS): wrote:
4.1 OVERVIEW: Ships locate each other by playing a "Sensor
Detection" card and drawing a RN for each enemy Ship in play for
which the searcher desires a stronger contact. (My emphasis.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent answers.
niedziak wrote:
(although I can't remember if ships that you are not trying to detect can do that, but I think they can).

4.21 ACTIVE SONAR wrote:
... Other opposing Ships, whether a Sensor attempt is resolved against them or not, may play a "Passive Sonar" even though the black card wasn't directed at them.

niedziak wrote:
falagar wrote:

Need to check that one, but I think it doesn't (beside I think I never had such situation, the card can always be played by a ship that sended helicopter).

This is a tricky one. As Tomasz said it is rare that this would be needed unless the supporting ship had sustained sensor damage. In fact since the section on sensor malfunction says that another surface ship (NOT Hekicopter) is required to maintain the current level of sensor contqact, I would think that a Helicopter is tied to its supporting ship and cannot play a PS if its supporting ship has a sensor malfunction.

OTOH could a ship AND an associated helicopter BOTH play passive sonar cards, with the ship's contact level going up two levels? No I don't think so because all surface ships share the same contact levels which I normally take to mean an entire surface force can only play a single passive sonar card in response to a sub active sonar or attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you a lot!

...i was reading "Transient, transient" new "The General" scenarios and i did not well understand what "Two Ship Decks" and "This is a Five-Deck Game" mean...

...i suppose that "Two Ship Decks" means to play scenario using 2 packs of cards (you so need to have 2 games or play with a friend who owns it too) and "Five-Deck Game" is the limit of the Game duration...am i right? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falagar wrote:
Thank you a lot!

...i was reading "Transient, transient" new "The General" scenarios and i did not well understand what "Two Ship Decks" and "This is a Five-Deck Game" mean...

...i suppose that "Two Ship Decks" means to play scenario using 2 packs of cards (you so need to have 2 games or play with a friend who owns it too) and "Five-Deck Game" is the limit of the Game duration...am i right? whistle

I just read the article and I think two ship decks refers to the ship cards (John F Kennedy), not the action cards. Because each ship card has a different ship on each side you need two copies of the card if you want both ships in the same scenario. At this late stage I don't think anyone will complain if you photocopy the ship cards for this purpose.

I would agree that Five-Deck Game refers to the game duration i.e. the game ends after the fifth time through the action deck.

(Thanks for asking the question. It made me look up the article and has sparked my own interest in trying out the scenarios.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.