Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florian Flumontanus
Germany
M√ľnchen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello everybody,

I'm currently playing my 3rd campaing of Descent 2e with CK and all expansions. The thing is, that some Heroes and some Classes are just overpowered while others are miserable underpowered. So for example the Heroes Nanok,Mok, Logan can be REALLY hard to counter as overlord. Also there can be some mean synergies (Mok + Varikas + Quellen) which are almost unstopable.
Also some Classes get selected everytime (Runemaster, Apothecarius) while others (Hexer, Ghostspeaker) are rarely in the game.
Therefor I thought about following procedure of picking HEROES AND CLASSES:

1) Hereos select their archetype.

2) They allow the OL to eather pick a class or a hero for the chosen archetype.

3) After that, the heroes pick eather the hero or the class (what ever is left).

Example: I want to play a Healer and I decide to have the overlord pick the heroe. He gives me Jonas. Now I can select a class, which fit best for him, taking the Disciple.
Next player wants to player warrior, and let the overlord pick the class. He picks the Berzerk. So he can pick a heroe, who's the ideal berzerk.

The Idea on the one hand to have more different heroes/classes obviously, and on the other hand for the heroes to deal with the situation and still being able to get the most of his/her hero.

Greetz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider that fun is also in playing hard characters sometime.
It makes players use their brain more, play together more to deal with one's weakness.

So I don't consider that bad to randomly pick classes and heroes, just letting players choose their archetype.
Without that, some classes would never get out of the box.

If I'm playing as overlord, I'll adjust my playing not to ruin the fun if all player characters are gimped (but statistics make this almost never happen)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other ways you might introduce variety.

Method 1) Player chooses archetype and then gets random 3 heroes to choose from.

Method 2) Each player gets 1 random hero of each archetype and then they have to choose who gets which archetype. Since each player can choose only the hero of given archetype he was dealt this is very interesting process.

With those methods I don't think forcing heroes to use certain classes is necessary. The only archetype where heroes don't really want to experiment with new classes is Healer. To be honest I'm not surprised.

By forcing them to use something bad at healing you really hinder heroes. If you do that it would only be fair if you also added a variant for choosing monster, where you get limited options to choose from. Otherwise some monsters will never see the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I choose to randomly pick classes, I also randomly pick monsters.
For the same reasons, some monsters would never get out of the box.

The idea is to get variety and for players and overlord to "show what you can do with what you get"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
Method 2) Each player gets 1 random hero of each archetype and then they have to choose who gets which archetype. Since each player can choose only the hero of given archetype he was dealt this is very interesting process

I like this quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only thought about random character choice is that when you are playing a campaign that will last for several sittings, you really want to play a character you enjoy. I like the idea of getting dealt a random assortment of characters and classes, but at the same time I wouldn't want one of the players not enjoying their game because they dislike their character. If your group already has several games under their belts, I would like to think your players would be willing to try a new combination.... get out of their comfort zone so to say. If not, then go random!

For a real challenge for the players and overlord, deal each player a random character from each archetype and have them select in secret which one they will play. Reveal simultaneously and see how it goes. You could end up with more than one of the same archetype, but there are enough classes now that you should be ok. You could do something similar for the overlord, starting with a random base deck, and randomly choose which types he can purchase when upgrading his deck. Random lieutenant as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.