14 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Secrecy (and some other questions) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NoName NoLastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) So, you're not allowed to talk in specific terms, when it comes to cards and so on, right? But what if you come to exactly that situation; you want to ask if someone has a scout/SP/scientific research or something?

So, how do you say for instance "I have an Inspirational speech/blue cards, does anyone have a SP/scientific research?"?

You could say (as president) "I think we should aim at boosting morale, could anybody help (me) with that?", but that's just replacing words by a phrase, really, since you'd (after 1 game, at least) understand what it means...

Also:

2) When you play Establish Networks during William Adama's turn, do blues still count as positive, or do they not (since they're 2's)?

3) During Event Horizon CAC, do players have to discard 1 card per activation, or is it just one (to "get into the cockpit")?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to ask players if they have a specific card, and they're allowed to tell you, but only if it's relevant at the time. And don't abuse it by listing your whole hand or asking someone else to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Blue 1s are still positive. They are still 1s, just worth 2.

Can't help with 3 without text. Haven't used cac cards since before exodus. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Feilin wrote:
1) So, you're not allowed to talk in specific terms, when it comes to cards and so on, right? But what if you come to exactly that situation; you want to ask if someone has a scout/SP/scientific research or something?

So, how do you say for instance "I have an Inspirational speech/blue cards, does anyone have a SP/scientific research?"?

You could say (as president) "I think we should aim at boosting morale, could anybody help (me) with that?", but that's just replacing words by a phrase, really, since you'd (after 1 game, at least) understand what it means...

Quote:
d10-8 Follow the secrecy rules. Some often overlooked secrecy violations include:

* Saying "medium" if you've played one card
* Talking about scouted cards (top or buried) beyond "good" or "bad"
* Identifying which cards/colors you played into a skill check
* Volunteering the contents of your hand if it's not directly relevant to the current discussion

If it's relevant to the discussion, you can admit to having things like SPs.
Just dont abuse it and start asking them questions about every possible card:

Hey, Cain, can you XO me? could you have DE'd that last check? Do you have an SP for my food rationing? can you scout??

Quote:
2) When you play Establish Networks during William Adama's turn, do blues still count as positive, or do they not (since they're 2's)?

Im not actually completely sure on this one because the timing of them in the check is listed as step 22 for both of them in the FAQ:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Battlestar_Galactica_FAQ

I think they should still count positive because they literally are '1 strength skill cards' as per adamas character sheet. They only count up as 2-value per card because of a separate effect (Which didnt exist back then, so I dont think his ability should be cancelled out for it)

Quote:
3) During Event Horizon CAC, do players have to discard 1 card per activation, or is it just one (to "get into the cockpit")?

I think the specific text is "When a character activates an unmanned viper, they must discard a skillcard.
So each time a viper is activated, you would have to lose a card each time, even if it's the same viper, I think.

Treat each activation as a separate event, like a half-action (If activating command)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Event Horizon only triggers when "activating vipers"

Page 25, core rulebook.

A viper activation happens from the Command location or when a pilot chooses to use his action as a viper activation.

A viper activation consists of launching, moving or attacking with a viper.

Therefore, this CAC punishes use of the Command location. Pilots only must discard when using an action to move or shoot. Using Maximum Firepower, for example, is not a viper activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Kwijiboe
On a pilots turn, they can move their viper without penalty, right? (As their movement step)
But if they choose to move it a second time (as their action step), then they discard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All abilities that refer to a card's strength use the printed number. See Red Tape for example, in particular the ruling that when in the same check as Establish Network, it is checking the printed value.

Wm Adama's ability looks for cards that have a 1 printed as their strength and says "these are positive for this check." Establish network says "these cards count double."

So apply them in either order... the card is still a 1-strength card, but it applies 2 positive value to the check. Even if you use establish networks first (concurrent abilities so current player chooses), the card is still a 1 card by its printed value, so Adama's ability takes it and makes it positive.

This was debated before: Adama and Establish Network without clear resolution. Somehow it slipped all our minds, so I have submitted it to FFG for their ruling.

-------

As for Event Horizon, if it says "each activation" then that would mean (e.g.) twice at command (4x on XO!), 6x for Pilot Apollo's OPG ability, 1x for that red 0 that lets you activate an unmanned viper, etc.

Pilots who are in a viper activate their viper only when they use their action (or an action granted by an XO or State of Emergency) to move their viper or to attack without a special piloting card. Note that their regular movement on their turn, or moving as the first step in an XO or as their only benefit from State of Emergency, is not an activation--only using an action to move counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
All abilities that refer to a card's strength use the printed number. See Red Tape for example, in particular the ruling that when in the same check as Establish Network, it is checking the printed value.

Wm Adama's ability looks for cards that have a 1 printed as their strength and says "these are positive for this check." Establish network says "these cards count double."

So apply them in either order... the card is still a 1-strength card, but it applies 2 positive value to the check. Even if you use establish networks first (concurrent abilities so current player chooses), the card is still a 1 card by its printed value, so Adama's ability takes it and makes it positive.

This was debated before: Adama and Establish Network without clear resolution. Somehow it slipped all our minds, so I have submitted it to FFG for their ruling.
Wait a minute, we never got an official answer on that did we? I still stand by what I said, but would still like to know what they say about this.

-------

InfoCynic wrote:
As for Event Horizon, if it says "each activation" then that would mean (e.g.) twice at command (4x on XO!), 6x for Pilot Apollo's OPG ability, 1x for that red 0 that lets you activate an unmanned viper, etc.

Pilots who are in a viper activate their viper only when they use their action (or an action granted by an XO or State of Emergency) to move their viper or to attack without a special piloting card. Note that their regular movement on their turn, or moving as the first step in an XO or as their only benefit from State of Emergency, is not an activation--only using an action to move counts.

1) act. radiers
2)
1 bs
1v, 2r 1bs, 2r
1v 1v

3) Gravity Well
Keep this card in play until the fleet jumps. No player can activate a viper unless he first discards a Skill Card.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/13698453#13698453
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
@Kwijiboe
On a pilots turn, they can move their viper without penalty, right? (As their movement step)
But if they choose to move it a second time (as their action step), then they discard?

Correct.

Also, correct. They also discard if they decide to use an action to shoot with the viper. Maximum Firepower doesn't "activate" a viper so you are not required to discard cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat veteran: activate vipers 3 times.
Uses a piloting card, but they'd also have to discard 3 cards if they do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have to discard cards in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That special rule can be painful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know I've been gathering rulings for the game for too long when other players have to quote me because I can't remember it. But at least I was correct in what I said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
You know I've been gathering rulings for the game for too long when other players have to quote me because I can't remember it. But at least I was correct in what I said.

Even if you happened to be incorrect. We appreciate the work you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.