Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tinney
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I having been tweaking these rules since I got the game in 2012, but several people have asked me about them so I thought I'd post them here for comment.

I'm not sure how relevant these rules are now that the new version from North Star Games is coming out, as I haven't put the time in to evaluate which I like better. When I sit down to play the new version, I'm sure I'll like its rules better lol!

Scoring
-------
-A die (showing the number 1) is added to each species as it is created. After each feeding phase (if the species is still alive) the die is rotated to the next higher number to show its age.

-During the feeding phase the feeding phase dice are rolled and the modifiers added per the game rules (based on # players). If the food availability is in the ranges of the chart below it signifies a Cataclysmic event has occurred, wiping out most of the plant/animal life that make up the food bank.

-Those animals that are adapted enough to be able to survive in this harsh climate will live to reproduce and will score using the base game point system, the only addition being that the animal's age is added to its score.

Cataclysm Chart
---------------
2 players =3 food
3... = 4 or less food
4... = 6 or less
5... = 9 or less
6... = 11 or less
7... = 12 or less
8... = 14 or less
(basically ~16% chance to score each round)

My only concern is that this scoring system might favor traits that allow an animal to use blue/yellow food. I'm not sure yet though.

------------
Player Order
------------
Player order changes after each cataclysm.
--- In the development phase play order goes from the player with the highest score to the lowest.
---In the feeding phase play order is lowest score to the highest.

These rules allow players with lower scores to react to threats/opportunities presented by the other players and serves as a catch up mechanic to curb the run-away leader problem.

---------
Card Draw
---------
-When receiving cards for the number of species a player has, the minimum a player can receive is 2/round.

So bonus cards are awarded only if the player has 3+ animals, which also helps curb the runaway leader problem.

I hope these help. Let me know if they work for your group or if you have suggestions for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.