Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pankai wrote:
And, as we know from our board gaming experience, randomness is cool and good!

No... it's not.
Not at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept thinking the same thing, played it last night for the first time, and realized the same thing you've got wrong - 6 rounds have cards. Round 1 and 6 have 6 cards possible, of which you only see 4. Rounds 2-5 have a set 4 cards. Round 7 has no cards.

So.... There! Some randomness in rounds 1 and 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Malz
Germany
Vechelde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FreezenFire wrote:
I kept thinking the same thing, played it last night for the first time, and realized the same thing you've got wrong - 6 rounds have cards. Round 1 and 6 have 6 cards possible, of which you only see 4. Rounds 2-5 have a set 4 cards. Round 7 has no cards.

I'm sorry to tell you that you got it wrong. All 28 cards will be used in each game.

You are correct that there are 6 groups of cards, but those are not 1:1 related to the rounds. You create a draw pile by first shuffling all "6" cards, than all "5" cards and so one until the "1" cards make the top. Form this stack of 28 cards, 4 cards per round are displayed.

So in the first round, you get 4 cards marked "1" (4 out of 6).

In the second round, you get 2 cards marked "1" (the remaining 2) and 2 cards marked "2" (2 out of 4).

This continues until the seventh round in which you will get 4 cards marked "6" (4 out of 6), while the other 2 cards marked "6" you already got in round 6.

As a result, you cannot predict 100% in which round a specific card will appear. A card marked "1", e.g., will appear either in round 1 or in round 2, and so on.

This adds up to a lot of randomness, imho.

Best regards
Stefan Malz

www.malz-spiele.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malzspiele wrote:
FreezenFire wrote:

I'm sorry to tell you that you got it wrong. All 28 cards will be used in each game.

You are correct that there are 6 groups of cards, but those are not 1:1 related to the rounds. You create a draw pile by first shuffling all "6" cards, than all "5" cards and so one until the "1" cards make the top. Form this stack of 28 cards, 4 cards per round are displayed.

So in the first round, you get 4 cards marked "1" (4 out of 6).

In the second round, you get 2 cards marked "1" (the remaining 2) and 2 cards marked "2" (2 out of 4).

This continues until the seventh round in which you will get 4 cards marked "6" (4 out of 6), while the other 2 cards marked "6" you already got in round 6.

As a result, you cannot predict 100% in which round a specific card will appear. A card marked "1", e.g., will appear either in round 1 or in round 2, and so on.

This adds up to a lot of randomness, imho.

Best regards
Stefan Malz

www.malz-spiele.de

Son of a..... OK! That would explain why I was confused about round 7.
I had misread it....

You're supposed to remove any face-up employee cards left from the previous round, then reveal 4 new employee cards. The note below is what threw me off - "The highest revealed level number indicates the number of the current round" - I had read and interpreted this (not through unclear rules, simply through an unclear mind) that all the cards would be of the current round (so I was discarding them).

The followup statement in the rules of "In round 7, the employee stack will be empty after the final 4 cards have been revealed" makes a lot more sense now.

Thank you! Next game should go far better with the personnel.

I can somewhat understand why the selection is limited, as it guarantees that you'll always have known percentages of Apprentices, Journeymen, and Masters at each level (when they come out is a different matter). Last thing you'd want is to have 4x Apprentices in a round, or 4x Masters - that would throw off the balance and pace of the game substantially.

WOW, there's a lot to this game. Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.