Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
per @Plaidhatgames (Twitter), Colby has just revealed that he is heading to Dallas to make a "let's play" video with the Board With Life Gang.

This is such power play move: the game is ripe with player interaction and a "live play" video will totally complement the instructional video Rodney is doing via Watch It Played!" Not to mention the involvement of the beyond talented BWL gang... totally sweet.

Colby's business acumen and pulse of what makes the industry work is so spot on. From signing Isaac and the Graphic Artist Designer (Dave Richards, right? - yes see his post below - thanks Dave, and NICE work!) on full time, to securing an HQ, to this gameplay video - it is pretty amazing.

Not to mention seeing the depth possible in a psychological traitor based meta-cooperative game... Dead of Winter is certainly going to turn heads, and this video will really speed that up.

Congrats to PHG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, he can wrestle a bear into submission in a pinch.

I was super excited for this news to come out! I can't wait to see the video!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Reece
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this was an outcome of Colby's pledge to the Board With Life Kickstarter campaign. But as a fan of Board With Life and someone who preordered Dead of Winter, I like this news regardless of how it came about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board WithLife
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's not really because he donated, we are doing an additional episode of the series because of that. We really dig Colby and the game, so we he suggested it we jumped at the chance. Now, the fact he was our single biggest donor certainly didn't hurt, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardWithLife wrote:
It's not really because he donated, we are doing an additional episode of the series because of that. We really dig Colby and the game, so we he suggested it we jumped at the chance. Now, the fact he was our single biggest donor certainly didn't hurt, haha.

When will you guys be shipping Donald to my house? The level of donation I needed for that was less than I expected to buy him. I have a very nice room set up in the basement under the stairs for him, whenever you are ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If by business acumen you mean me trying my hardest to leverage my way into getting to do cool stuff... then yes, I'm a business wizard. *sarcasm*

I love Board with Life. I'm not reading numbers or looking into my business wizard's glass orb. I think Board with Life is uber cool and so I figure surely more and more people will find them and agree. So if I can be a barnacle on that ship, sign me up.

Plus I got to hang out with these guys a bit at BGG.Con and they are as fun to be around as their videos would make you believe. So leveraging my way into spending time with them is kind of fan-boy driven.

Plus, plus Dead of Winter + Board with Life crew is going to = a really entertaining video. I'm pretty well sure of that. I think, assuming that is the case, good things will come to everyone involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, doing cool stuff has sort of been the driving force for PHG from the beginning - so yes - keep doing that.

I suppose in part I am surprised that films of people playing boardgames aren't more popular and I am going to predict that as the hobby grows they will become critical.

Think of Twitch for boardgames... Heck, magic and netrunner are usually on there already and many stream games played during charity events and tabletop day.

I guess I have just realized the value of watching the game being played over a review video. Especially for something like DOW, where the interaction IS the game.

I am a big fan of

Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb

and his RePlay videos.

Anything

Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb

does is amazing. Also, the Gamenight series and anyone playing X-wing (Team Covenant) are tons interesting to watch.

And of course the Board with Life "Plays" videos are great.

There is a You Tube video of a session of DungeonQuest (Jadekind gaming) that is hilarious. Check this out:

The first 5 minutes or so is rules stuff, but skip to 5:45 and watch the first turn. This is the value that is difficult to communicate in a review or a rule book. Social interaction is key and when the central game is a thematic random-fest, the pure fun (dopamine receptors firing full tilt - as Colby would say) is unmeasurable.

Really looking forward to the DOW play through video and hoping that others who play the game post play throughs as well. Especially with the emerging content of user created Crossroad cards, play through videos could be really entertaining...

OSG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
screamingtruth wrote:

I love Board with Life[...]So if I can be a barnacle on that ship, sign me up.

This is how I feel about my relationship with Plaid Hat Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeximusMaximus wrote:
screamingtruth wrote:

I love Board with Life[...]So if I can be a barnacle on that ship, sign me up.

This is how I feel about my relationship with Plaid Hat Games. :D

This is how I feel about my relationship with Alex. =-p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update Teaser via @iamboardwithlife:

Looks like a delicious video!

OSG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Richards
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
... and the Graphic Artist Designer (Dave Richards, right?) on full time...

That's right. Though can we be real for a moment? Yeah, that dude's a bit of a Prima donna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When will this video be released. I'm curious about real gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SuperBrian
United States
Ringwood
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the June 8 they said it would be out in a week or two depending on how long editing takes. So, soon. Looking forward to it too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.