Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the card text - it seems pretty clear:

"At the start of your attack step, choose an energy type. This turn, characters of that type take no damage."

I guess my big question is - why would it affect ALL characters?

I guess in one sense if you were facing Iron Man you could declare "shield" and thereby prevent him from triggering his effect (assuming he were to block), but thematically it just feels off.

"I'm going to throw this shield to protect all of my mask guys.....and then accidentally protect all of your mask characters at the same time. Oops."

Not trying to start a "interpretation" debate, this one just doesn't make sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Newsom
msg tools
I think it comes down to "its a game". Like, why should my opponent be able to use my character's powers? (globals)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes things just don't make sense from a thematic perspective. After all, this is a game first -- so I'm sure there was a reason for it to be "all characters" instead of "all your characters."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:
Based on the card text - it seems pretty clear:

"At the start of your attack step, choose an energy type. This turn, characters of that type take no damage."

I guess my big question is - why would it affect ALL characters?

I guess in one sense if you were facing Iron Man you could declare "shield" and thereby prevent him from triggering his effect (assuming he were to block), but thematically it just feels off.

"I'm going to throw this shield to protect all of my mask guys.....and then accidentally protect all of your mask characters at the same time. Oops."

Not trying to start a "interpretation" debate, this one just doesn't make sense to me.

It's likely a method of balancing the effect. Nothing to do with flavor. It also probably makes for more interesting plays overall ("If I use this, my two guys will survive, but so will his one...").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorrit jorrit
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, but how do I get rid of my opponents vibranium shield die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorrit wrote:
Well, when your opponent uses it, it goes to the used so you don't need to worry about it for a few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
jorrit wrote:
Well, when your opponent uses it, it goes to the used so you don't need to worry about it for a few turns.

this is why it shouldn't cover your opponents...
It only comes every 5th draw and you aren't guaranteed to use it.

PLUS, you must have the characters ready to pounce when the the opportunity comes.

If you are like me and can't roll worth shit, the shield is meaningless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jorrit jorrit
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
jorrit wrote:

Oooooow, so I should have won that game! Thanx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.