Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fantastic place to go for the casual gamer. But it hasn't been updated in a while.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/89528/100-point-squads

I'm hoping that FFG comes with this a book of Scenarios with suggested squad build with an appendix of perbuild squads starting the 60 point squad, 90, 100, up to 400 point builds for epic.

Some people just don't have the knack or time to put together those special built combinations and with more upgrade cards coming out it gets harder for a casual player to remember.

Just my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim East
Australia
flag msg tools
The big trouble with that thread is that while it was only wave 2, we had fewer combinations to build squads. These days, with wave 4 nearly out and all the cards revealed, the combinations are multiplying exponentially.

I sincerely doubt that FFG will ever release a book of their best suggested builds. You might see some appear in articles, like the recent Firespray article, but nothing more than that.

The thing about X-Wing is that you can play one of two ways. One, you can read the forums here and build TIE Swarms, XXBB lists, Han Shoots First, and all of the other famous, powerful squads. Or two, you can build whatever you like and see what works. This game has limitless potential and you can build squads around any number of ships and combinations.

Take the Lambda shuttle for instance. When it was announced and when the cards were leaked, people grumbled. "This ship is worthless. It's not good enough. Yadda yadda yadda grumble grumble." But then some clever folk figured out ships like the Doomshuttle, the Buzzsaw, and many other potent, viable combinations that have been used successfully in tournaments all around the world.

What I'm trying to say in a very long winded way, is that this is a -game-. Experiment. Try. Learn your favourites. But most crucially and importantly, -HAVE FUN-.

Edit: Taken out my T/A comment. I love being wrong about things like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptShrike wrote:
with the exception of the TIE Advanced

Didn't even finish reading and had to comment. My friend, in an effort to prove any ship is viable, ran 4 Tie Advanced all with cluster missiles over the Imdaar Alpha Wave 4 pre-release weekend. He took second at one tourney. The next tourney he took 10th out of 11th, but was dealing with poor dice the entire time. To be fair, TIE advanced are pretty crummy, but if he could take second at a tourney, I'd say they are worth considering.

Hopefully FFG gives them the help they need to really shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim East
Australia
flag msg tools
Excellent! And that's exactly my point!

Even a ship that many player consider sub-standard can still be used to great effect. That's how varied and exciting this game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand with some of the huge ship scenarios they do give at least starting squad lists...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.