Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Middle-earth» Forums » General

Subject: Just got a complete set of wizards and don't know where to start... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have just recently decided to jump into this game. I had a few cards way back in the day, and played merp for over 20 years have been obsessively trolling this site and others to figure out the game...

I see that council of elrond and other web sites haven't really been active....

since I'm new and have a few people that I want to teach the game, but don't have cards, I'm looking for which variant to play.

I see there is the euro board game style (this one appeals to me)
Arda deck? then how the game originally was played.

I should learn the original (goes without saying) but don't have the rules. Best place on the internet to track them down?

I might get dragons set, but after that prob won't get anymore...

so what should I do? It's pretty daunting really, and I'd like to play with my friends who clearly wont deck build on their own...

Thanks for any suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Modzelewski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find the regular rules for the basic set and expansions here: http://www.meccg.net/netherlands/meccg/downloads.html

Good luck! The game is fantastic and I did not find it very difficult to sort out by myself. Definately worth the effort.

To play the Arda variant you'll have to learn the regular game first, but I find Arda the best experience and a great way to hook other players who don't have their own cards. You can also try to hunt down a pair of starter decks or challenge decks which are not overly expensive and are a easy way to get started
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Bolton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
There are certain basic utility cards you're going to need 3-6 copies of if you're going to play constructed (twilight, gates of morning, doors of knight etc.). Luckily almost all of these cards are common/uncommon. I would look around for some common/uncommon sets, or just get a couple boosters. There might even be people here who are willing to give you some spare cards that they have dozens of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try putting together these decks, they're designed for learning the game. If you need some duplicate cards, you can proxie them.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64658/starter-set-deck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bordelon
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish you good luck. This game is broken, accordING to Me.
Follow religiously calasmar videos. Find a good map (I tried the MEQ base map but too difficult to adapt). Sleeve all your cards and get ready to make proxies of cards you don'T have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.