Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody know at this point how much expansion teams are going to cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
United States
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I'm going to assume that the MSRP is going to be about $20 each and that you'll be able to get them online for about $14 each. That's just a guess though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoolMini sold expansion teams at Origins for $25 a piece. I'm assuming they didn't mark them up 20% of above MSRP (they were selling the base game at MSRP), so I would figure $25. Probably around $20 at online retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I am not surprised at the cost and disappointed I most likely will not be able to afford every team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDestroyer wrote:
Thanks. I am not surprised at the cost and disappointed I most likely will not be able to afford every team.

$25 ($20 in some places) isn't "outrageous". It is a little expensive... but it will mean (for me) that I will have to stagger the purchasing of the teams over a longer period of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's expensive but not outrageous as you say. It's less than .50 a mini if you buy from an OLGS. Plus you get the board/wheels. It makes you wonder if they could have shaved a little bit off if they didn't have a huge custom die in each set (which does virtually nothing).

Also, look at the bright side - you can focus on teams you really want and slowly integrate new teams into your games. This lets you really get a feel for the differences of each team (as opposed to always playing with a new team and everything being random and hard to discern).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
It makes you wonder if they could have shaved a little bit off if they didn't have a huge custom die in each set (which does virtually nothing).

And no coaches. The molds probably added significantly to the cost, but I don't think I even take them out of the box anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
charlest wrote:
It makes you wonder if they could have shaved a little bit off if they didn't have a huge custom die in each set (which does virtually nothing).

And no coaches. The molds probably added significantly to the cost, but I don't think I even take them out of the box anymore.

I personally like the coach figures. When I was doing Blood Bowl (years ago), I crafted something similar for us to use. I think it is awesome to have a figure like -- even though it is not really critical to play. Along that line, there are many components that are not "critical" to play that they did in plastic (little fire tokens instead of a cardboard chip, etc.). I really like the extra "bits" because they are high quality. If they had been of dubious quality, I would have said to "toss 'em". But they are good quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odysseus3 wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
charlest wrote:

I personally like the coach figures. When I was doing Blood Bowl (years ago), I crafted something similar for us to use. I think it is awesome to have a figure like -- even though it is not really critical to play. Along that line, there are many components that are not "critical" to play that they did in plastic (little fire tokens instead of a cardboard chip, etc.). I really like the extra "bits" because they are high quality. If they had been of dubious quality, I would have said to "toss 'em". But they are good quality.

Yea, it's funny because I can't even imagine using cardboard tokens for fire and hearts. In fact, I'm sad I didn't buy extras. I can definitely see why the coaches are something people would like. And it does contribute to the overall luxuriousness of the game.

But, to me, if they were going to cut costs to lower the price point, the coaches and dice are where they should have done it. Though I'm weird - I like the dice, so I'm glad they're there .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The coaches are more useful than the die. The problems with the die are that they don't really add anything to the game (the coaches do in my opinion). The die also has all these custom faces that don't matter at all. It seems to me like they had an idea for a mechanism early on involving the die (Some of the cards show the die in the top left corner) and changed it during development but decided to leave the die in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
The coaches are more useful than the die. The problems with the die are that they don't really add anything to the game (the coaches do in my opinion). The die also has all these custom faces that don't matter at all. It seems to me like they had an idea for a mechanism early on involving the die (Some of the cards show the die in the top left corner) and changed it during development but decided to leave the die in.

I get the same feeling. I think at one point in the development, the die meant something. Now it is just a marker. I would have preferred a different kind of marker. Perhaps a custom "referee" figure (different for each team), or something similar. The die just doesn't make sense as a marker (though I like the idea of a custom marker for each team).

Come to think of it... a custom referee for each team would be cool. When you are the home team, you use your ref as the marker for the period. There could be a "fan" figure to... or maybe a cheerleader to represent the "first player".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Odysseus3 wrote:
charlest wrote:

I get the same feeling. I think at one point in the development, the die meant something. Now it is just a marker. I would have preferred a different kind of marker. Perhaps a custom "referee" figure (different for each team), or something similar. The die just doesn't make sense as a marker (though I like the idea of a custom marker for each team).

Come to think of it... a custom referee for each team would be cool. When you are the home team, you use your ref as the marker for the period. There could be a "fan" figure to... or maybe a cheerleader to represent the "first player".

Maybe uses for those die are already planned for an expansion? /shrug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised they didn't offer a bulk discount at Origin's like they did with the Kickstarter campaign. $25 for 1, $65 for 3, $100 for 5. Something like that. Was looking forward to picking up some teams at GenCon. Now I'm thinking I might need to wait to get it online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bullseyetm wrote:
I'm surprised they didn't offer a bulk discount at Origin's like they did with the Kickstarter campaign. $25 for 1, $65 for 3, $100 for 5. Something like that. Was looking forward to picking up some teams at GenCon. Now I'm thinking I might need to wait to get it online.

They gave out an MVP if you bought 2. But only certain ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.