Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » General

Subject: Painting the pieces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Esko Luontola
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the painting the wooden pieces, at least the animals, would make them more easily distinguishable (e.g. cow vs. wood vs. dog) and add some flavor.

Here is my photoshopped first draft of how they might look. I'm not yet happy with the dog - it looks too much like a fox and is too serious. Also all the eyes might be too small to paint with two colors, but we'll see.

Do you have ideas for coloring the pieces? Please post your visualizations or the real things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea!
I would make the cattle's markings less like circular spots and more like random "blob" shapes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had actually done something like this with my cows and sheep already.

Here are some examples:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I'd prefer to keep my animals neutral looking. They're a lot easier to eat that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Sayward
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

I'd prefer to keep my animals neutral looking. They're a lot easier to eat that way.

True. No faces on food, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Sayward
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had too many cows wandering into the lumber yard, and players trying to breed logs with cows.

I researched cattle breeds, and decided that the original color must represent Brown Swiss. I searched for a European breed that would be more distinguishable from every other animal token in the game, and settled on the Holstein, white with black splotches.

See the thread "happy, efficient cow farm" & picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Sayward
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the sheep! I think I have a new painting project!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
gameteacher wrote:
I had too many cows wandering into the lumber yard, and players trying to breed logs with cows.

You should persevere with this hybrid. The milk is awful, but you'll get great stakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to seal them with something like Dullcote when done.

For the blacks of the eyes, go to an art supply store. I have some markers with a .005cm tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have trouble telling dogs from logs. The cattle aren't so difficult; the shape is enough different.

I thought first of putting an eyeball dot on the dogs, but that seems like it would be hard to notice at a glance. I think I'm going to go with a big black "spot," saddle-style around the dog's back so it's visible from either side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Delmeby
Sweden
Bromma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ssmooth wrote:
We have trouble telling dogs from logs. The cattle aren't so difficult; the shape is enough different.

I thought first of putting an eyeball dot on the dogs, but that seems like it would be hard to notice at a glance. I think I'm going to go with a big black "spot," saddle-style around the dog's back so it's visible from either side.

We've only had issues keeping apart the cows and the wood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robinson Crusoe
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ORFJackal wrote:

Here is my photoshopped first draft of how they might look. I'm not yet happy with the dog - it looks too much like a fox and is too serious. Also all the eyes might be too small to paint with two colors, but we'll see.

That made me think about a potential take-that/stealing mechanic where you can send a fox/dog into another players land to steal sheep for food. Potential fan expansion/variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.