Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy 2nd BANCE-iversary to Flip the Table! We're kicking off our 3rd year with one of the biggest IPs in the world of gaming as we take on Pokemon...but not the good kind like you want. In Pokemon Master Trainer, players race to accumulate tiny, adorable monsters as they build up power for the final battle at Indigo Plateau. Collect all 3 of a Pokemon's evolutionary levels and enjoy a massive bonus. But is it enough to take down Team Rocket in the end, or will you be left crying like a kid with a prematurely unplugged link cable? Plus, in the Battle of Wits, the panel struggles to name a single Pokemon correctly.

http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.com/2014/06/episode-55-pokemon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Look over there! --------->
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting ready to go on vacation and just downloaded the entire FTT catalog to give me something to do on the 17-ish total flight hours.

Bancing in the stratosphere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rutger ter Maten
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on the start of your third year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pft. Correctly timed prematurely unplugged link cables was the trick to cloning. There was a black market for Mews at my high school*, being sold at £1 a pop by someone who was actually able to get to the event that distributed them.

*for values of high school that equate to grades that US would consider middle school

...Err... Anyway. The board game you were talking about...

Oh god, a game I've played... And... Erm... Still own a copy.

I sometimes wound up deliberately tanking my chances in the final battle, with a pokemon that's neither strong enough to win the fight, nor part of a set I'm collecting, but worth high power points, so I could get back on the board to complete a set to actually have a chance... That 'go directly to cinebar island if you have 20 power points' rule was such a pain.

...I'm surprised you guys didn't mention the... Annoying... Catch up mechanism the game had. Time Machines don't have to be used on your rolls. 4s, 5s, time machines and pokedolls are what you need for the final battle. Time machines (and the force trade event) are what you need when your opponent is in the middle... 20 minutes in the centre because no-one landed on the space? The true... joy... of this thing's end-game is that followed by having victory robbed by other people forcing you to reroll (or rerolling your opponant, if that's more likely to hurt you). I've seriously seen 5-6 time machines used by various players on one of those final battles. I can only imagine that gets worse the more players there are on the board.

...For running a pokemon RPG, I'd go with either Monsters And Other Childish Things, which is a dark game about "children and the relationship eating monsters that love them," to quote the tagline, which I think could be tweaked to deemphasise the relationship eating part - or not, as you prefer - or go the whole hog and go with the pokemon/cthulhu crossover parody game, Pokethulhu... Though I suppose you could do it in GURPS (Something based around summonable allies, possibly using the slots form of variable advantages)

...Actually how come I can only think of games that do a hybrid between Pokemon and Eldritch Horror for games that don't have the selling point of 'does anything under the sun'? *listens to pokedex description of Drowzee*. Oh right. Yeah. Pokemon does go rather 'eldritch horror for kids' at times, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rutger ter Maten
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ashamed to say that after listening to this episode I came to the conclusion that I would have known all the Pokemon from their description in the battle of wits...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BorisjeNL wrote:
I'm ashamed to say that after listening to this episode I came to the conclusion that I would have known all the Pokemon from their description in the battle of wits...

Heh. I was one short of - Mistook Machoke for Machamp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Preston
United States
Fremont
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought for sure that somebody was going to guess "Somnivore" for the dream eater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Found this today. A "Pokemon hybrid generator": http://pokemon.alexonsager.net/

I like this Slowtales:
http://pokemon.alexonsager.net/79/38

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
strathmeyer wrote:
Found this today. A "Pokemon hybrid generator": http://pokemon.alexonsager.net/

I like this Slowtales:
http://pokemon.alexonsager.net/79/38

Hoo boy, that site is going to waste a lot of my time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.