Thumb up
1 Posts

The Mystic Wood» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Second and third plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
flag msg tools
I recently got this game on eBay. Today we played a couple of games and had fun, although the first game was surprisingly short. If a player gets lucky he can win the game in the first few turns...

The first game I chose George (quest:to slay the dragon) and my gf choose Britomart (quest:find the prince). We started exploring and at the first clearing I found the mystic wind.

We were transported to the other side of the forest where Britomart found the Dragon (which she didn't face). I went for it and was defeated, but on my way back from the tower, managed to get the ring, for an extra strength point. One lucky roll later I had managed to kill the Dragon which was near the Enchanted gate, so even though my gf found the prince, I managed to exit the wood first.

The second game we choose randomly but I got George again. My gf got Guyon (quest: enter the cave and stay for one turn). This time the game was longer. We spent a long time exploring the woods and killing some creatures. I managed to get the lance and the horse, plus a couple of allies. Still, I risked encountering the Enchantress and spent a couple of turns in her clutches... My gf was desperately trying to find the cave, when I finally found the dragon. It was easily dispatched this time, as I had an strength of 10 against his strength of 6.

After the game we turned the 4-5 tiles that were left face down and the last one was the cave. Also I looked at the deck and the last card was the golden bough (that is needed to enter the cave) so that was a very unlucky game for her. But still she had fun...

So, this game is almost totally luck based and still it is a fun experience, roaming the forest and encountering its creatures. I find the mechanic of the "transportation" very clever, and it gives the creatures a life of their own, reacting to the knight in their own way.

The only problem is that sometimes the card a player needs to win is at the top of the deck and the one another player needs is at the bottom, and it can be frustrating sometimes...
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.