Nick O\'Toole
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Game Review by Nick O’Toole
OVERVIEW: Sentinels of the Multiverse (or, SotM, because typing that out is going to be a huge pain) is a tabletop card game from Greater Than Games, in which players take up the role of various Superheroes to defeat the plans of evil villains. Players must work as a team to coordinate their powers and achieve victory before the villain defeats them and enacts their evil plan, all while the environment fights both sides.
Concept: SotM does its very best to emulate the style of American superhero comics and this is where it shines. Each of the available heroes (10 in the base set) is a clear parallel to one-or-more currently existing heroes in either the Marvel or DC universes. The Wraith is a female Batman, Haka emulates The Hulk, so on, so forth. The game then places the heroes in stereotypical superhero conflicts, where they must defeat the Villain to win. Each Hero, Villain and Environment has a unique feel and play style to it, making for some very unique situations. In order to simulate the comic-book feel, each character is even given their own backstory in the manual, and the expansions all build upon these characters and their universe. Additionally, each card has flavour text that adds to the character’s story. Overall, the concept of SotM is incredibly enjoyable, has a nicely unique feeling, and will easily please anyone who is a fan of the superhero genre.
SCORE: 5/5
Aesthetics: Put simply, the art is very well done. It emulates the style of an 80s-90s era comic book incredibly well, with a very solid look that says “I am what I am, take me like that”. The card layouts are well designed and nothing seems out of place, and each card has a piece of flavour text at the bottom, with an annotation telling you which (entirely fictional) comic book it came from. Each deck has its own unique card back, which stops cards from ever ending up in the wrong piles, and these alone are fun to look at. The art does tend to have an “unpolished, looks like something you might have doodled at school” feel, but this only makes the game feel more fun than anything else. Also, the cards themselves are thick. That’s a huge plus.
SCORE: 3/5
Gameplay: On the plus side for the gameplay, each deck has a unique feel and has the potential to make you feel like you’re controlling one of the world’s superheroes. The balance between the hero decks means that each player will have equal levels of usefulness. However, the game mechanics make it very hard for any player to achieve their potential. The game allows the villain to go first, and villains can be incredibly overpowered. This leads to situations where players end up crippled before their first turn, and the “play phase” order makes it very hard to recover. Essentially, it boils down to players “having too many options but not enough time to use them in”, which means that players have to plan their turns very concisely, and will get punished for not doing that. Players also need to be able to keep track of many different modifiers at once, leading to a very confusing game state in the midgame, which will deter anyone without a few skill points in “Making sure everything works as it’s supposed to”.
SCORE: 2/5
Overall: Sentinels is an excellent concept, especially if you’re a big fan of the superhero genre. Unfortunately it requires a very dedicated group of players to be played properly, which rules out any casual gamers. So this one boils down to “How dedicated are you?”
OVERALL SCORE: 3/5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Davidson
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree on the dedication requirement. I've played a few times with newbies and rarely have they needed much more instruction than "on your turn play one card, use one power then draw one card." They tend to figure it out after one turn; though I'll admit there's some level of effort they need to put into figuring out how best to use their turn. Not to mention keeping track of modifiers is why >G added tokens to the enhanced edition and they have that app I haven't tried. Then again all my games with newbies so far we've had a full team of 5 which I was careful to ensure had the full set of roles filled and we tried ambuscade and ennead: both were a cake walk just tore through them with little difficulty.

Certainly shows the imbalance though. It's very easy to setup a game of Sentinels in such a way that victory should come easy. That's the point you start to use non-ideal hero teams or use the advanced difficulty on villains. I was thinking since my more managed team structure was such a cake walk against the ennead who are supposed to be pretty tough I might try mixing things up by picking a hero at random next time.

I also noticed that the art feels a bit like something you might expect out of a crummy flash game. It doesn't seem to effect my love of the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the newby players can be a little overwhelmed with the "fiddly-ness" of this game... BUT they all agree that it is worth it. The theme of this game carries the day. The way this game "feels" like a super hero game / story / event is incredible. Every new player I've introduced to the game wants to play again immediately after the first game is over (something I am always ready to do, of course! LOL). And... after my first couple of games with newbies, I don't even build team / villain combos to make the game easier to win (we just pick at random).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My gaming group is almost always comprised of "casuals" (me being the exception).

They rarely want to play anything besides Sentinels. For whatever that's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.