Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Warhammer: Diskwars» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Dwarf Siege Machine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Lots of lightning. Should be pretty crazy, especially with good rolls. It's too bad Dwarves don't have 5pt infantry, otherwise it'd be possible to have a Runic Cannon, Flame Cannon and a Master engineer in the same regiment.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Cornara
Italy
Varese
flag msg tools
https://snipertroll.wordpress.com - https://shiftingmists.wordpress.com
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just performed some quick calculations.

A Rock Lobber firing at siege range has roughly a ~61% probability of missing entirely, ~37% probability of hitting one target (be it the original target or a scatter one) and ~2% of hitting two (either the original target + a scatter, or two scatters).

The Runic Cannon has, still at siege range, the same ~61% probability of missing. The probability of hitting a single target drops to ~32%, but that's because there's a ~7% chance of hitting two disks(and ~0,4% of hitting three times, which also means 8 damage on the primary target).

Need to try it of course, but having a couple of war machines that can fire multiple times at siege range at round 1 and have a nice chance of multiple hits is nice.

I foresee a lot of cover-providing terrain in the deployment zone when playing against dwarves...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I suspect it wouldn't be as effective as you might think. The problem is you invest that heavily into artillery and you'll find that all you're left to guard it with is two heros and a couple extra infantry (assuming two regiments, maybe more viable with 3). If your enemy closes, you'll be super dead especially since at that point you'll start splashing yourself with 4 point hits. Enemies with flank or high mobility will be able to cause you all kinds of problems (huntsman have enough attack to assassinate engineers and enough toughness to be a pain the next turn).

Also, right now, you wouldn't get those 6 shots off the first turn unless you get the disperse deployment zone. You can't put two large disks and 7 small disks (3 engineers 2 leaders) in two deployment zones without pinning your own disks. And this isn't even taking into account the terrain which can cut you firepower in half or shield your enemies completely during their approach.

Basically, it looks to me like you need to win the initiative roll and go second to even have a chance to win with this army and even then it wouldn't be easy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I suppose playing as undead, an artillery heavy army would be quite a threat as you're so dependant on your casters that if your enemy can pick them off the rest of your force becomes sitting ducks, especially to heavy splash damage. You have a ton of cards that make your casters stupidly difficult to kill but only in melee combat; there's not really much that shields you from missiles.

Still, I think that you have the stuff to take care of it if they invest that heavily into artillery. They probably won't be able to pick anything more than an Aspiring Necromancer off first round (because it will take a little bit of set to get the deployment unstacked (unless they get disperse) and so you have time to get stuff to cover and to caves and such (cover being extremely effective against Rune Cannons). At that point they can still unload on you quite a bit but you can still cause trouble for them with things like your very mobile Vargheists threatening to swoop down on their engineers or the fact that you can just charge headlong at the enemy with the majority of your army because any of the shots they're using on them they aren’t using on any of the targets that matter.

I think it's be much scarier to run into an army with maybe one cannon of each type, an engineer or two, and then some disks that can squish an unead rush without taking much damage. Flame cannon splash can get skeletons and wolves down to where guard 1 is enough to finish them off (or failing that, there's the grudge-born fury card) and dwarves are pretty solid in general, and yet you're still facing enough artillery that you can guarantee that any caster you leave exposed will get either picked off or activated by rune cannon vollies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.