Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello Guys,

I made an image that works as a patch for the errata in The Party Chief Area. The design of the board makes such patches look like they fit right in. I'm very happy with the result but if anyone has input, I am certainly willing to revisit the file.

[EDIT] Has been revised and can be found in BGG files.

Best,

Lance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Soonsin Lee
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I play with Blue
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks sweet Lance. Hopefully, it gets approved quickly because I want to try it out. Do we need to do anything special to print it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed mine out on printer card stock. It is just a rectangle but looks pretty sweet if you cut out the notch where the Logo overlaps.

I also sprayed a bit of Testor's Dull Cote on it to protect it from moisture. I used a Ross Washable Glue Stick to apply the adhesive and it popped right off when I had to revise the file (see below).

I put a link up for the file over on Kickstarter that I will keep active until the BGG file is approved.

It is still possible that Jim might have an official image made but I am happy with this one.

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lance--frankly, I see no reason to make an 'official' one given what you've got there. Very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have "sick" for the 2 health hit status, it should say "ill". It's certainly an improvement. Did you scan the board in? Perhaps if this is the best solution Jim would be willing to get you the original file so we can have the highest quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark!

Good Catch!

I made a new file and have uploaded it to BGG.

The scan was high-rez and seems to match the quality of the board. Let me know if you think it could still use more improvement.

Lance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed it off and it looks excellent. The problem is I can't bring myself to put a sticker on a game mapboard. Afraid I'll put it on badly and there you go forever on there looking bad.

So I simply printed it off and laminated it. When I play a game I'll just lay it on that spot on the board. I figure after a few plays we'll remember what it says and won't need it. Then it will simply sit in the box.

I do find this a rather weird error. Not a tragedy by any means though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
I do find this a rather weird error. Not a tragedy by any means though.

Very weird when you notice in the rule book the illustrations of the party chief position show the title bar not overlapping the chief's rule box. So the layout guy had it right at one point.
I'm not ridiculing here, just genuinely curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah oh, I think I see another board error. The party chief's rule reminder for the replacement phase, pretty sure he doesn't age when moving politicians within their current level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. First paragraph page 6. He only ages when he moves them up and down, not within the same level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zenflux
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. Here's the picture of the old board. http://boardgamegeek.com/image/977471/kremlin.

Also the layout for the new board has been correct in version 0.99. The "1SP" that should be "0SP" misprint is there though. http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1869690/kremlin.

Luckily these are not any game braking issues that are going on.

Just waiting a case of games to arrive to Finland...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately this will just require a retweaking of the image discussed in this thread. None of the goofs so far are earth shattering, just a bit annoying. I think this and the red text cards are likely the worst and this can be fixed with a sticker (in my case a laminated image) and the cards with be fixed when the replacement cards come. Neither truly effect game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the sun is out () I can better see the color and have uploaded a Rev3 that is a much better color match and fixes the errata noted above.

I am printing on Office Max Index Card Stock using a Canon Pixma printer.
The color is a near match for me now.

I am also spraying the print with Testor's Dull Cote to protect against moisture.

I used a washable glue stick (from Ross) and was able to just pop my old version off to replace it.

Best,

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Nuite
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
varjami wrote:
Also the layout for the new board has been correct in version 0.99. The "1SP" that should be "0SP" misprint is there

What the hell is an SP? I find no mention of them in my rulebook? Was this a term used in the original version of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stress Point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Nuite
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I safe in assuming that is the same as age?

This rulebook is full of assumptions. I'm pretty disappointed in it. It seems as though it was written and edited by people who had played Kremlin before and was never given to a new player to see if the rules were all there. SP isn't defined, purges are completely ignored for the classic game, and what a loss of influence means is never defined amid other omissions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been a long time since I played the game but I am pretty sure SP stands for stress points. However I just looked at the rules and you're right, there is no mention of what the SP stands for. It's simply referred to as age in the rulebook.

I agree as well on the comment about the influence. Under the section about 10+ influence it talks about how players remove all influence they have on that politician when another player gets 10+ influence. Like I said, it's been years since I played so I was unsure of what this was saying at first which was basically you take your declared influence off the politician but you still have that influence on him, just undeclared. I thought that could have been better spelled out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Like I said, it's been years since I played so I was unsure of what this was saying at first which was basically you take your declared influence off the politician but you still have that influence on him, just undeclared. I thought that could have been better spelled out.

In one of the versions you subtract the influence shown from whatever amount you assigned for that politician. This is a good feature as it allows players to get control of someone that they had assigned less influence on.

themagicisover wrote:

This rulebook is full of assumptions. I'm pretty disappointed in it. It seems as though it was written and edited by people who had played Kremlin before and was never given to a new player to see if the rules were all there. SP isn't defined, purges are completely ignored for the classic game, and what a loss of influence means is never defined amid other omissions.

I'm reluctantly starting to agree with this perspective. It was such a well run campaign and the game looks great so I don't want to believe the rules are sub-par. It happens though, Nothing Personal was another fantastic campaign and the quality is amazing, but they too had a poorly written rule book.

I think something can be said that game manufacturers should outsource their rule book writing. That way people that have absolutely no knowledge of the game have to write it in the perspective of someone that has no knowledge of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am hoping the community can spot these kinds of problems and get together the answers for new players like me. Thanks!

I put the SP thing into the Errata thread that I started.

I am reading the Avalon Hill rules now to see if I can get better sense of what is missing. Do you guys have additional potential FAQ's That I should also put into that thread?

Best,

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my first question...does Victor Apparatchik not start out the game sick? In the old rules Nestor Aparatschik, starts sick.

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Nuite
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:

I'm reluctantly starting to agree with this perspective. It was such a well run campaign and the game looks great so I don't want to believe the rules are sub-par. It happens though, Nothing Personal was another fantastic campaign and the quality is amazing, but they too had a poorly written rule book.

I think something can be said that game manufacturers should outsource their rule book writing. That way people that have absolutely no knowledge of the game have to write it in the perspective of someone that has no knowledge of the game.

I'm not raising these concerns to be a dick. I'm raising them because I read the rules multiple times and started playing a sample game and was honestly left with no answers to some of the most basic gameplay mechanics. Hopefully the publisher will issue a PDF of the rulebook with all the rules. On the surface this game is great, and I'm sure once all the bits are in place it'll be fun, but it's suffering from a severe lack of attention to detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:

I am reading the Avalon Hill rules now to see if I can get better sense of what is missing. Do you guys have additional potential FAQ's That I should also put into that thread?

Best,

Lance

I don't think the new version is trying to be the Avalon Hill version, though it gives rules to allow you to play that version for the most part. A few AH rules have been left out though. It had a different way to break influence point ties, though I felt that rule was too complicated to ever use. And like you questioned Nestor does begin the game sick.

I also now think there's an error in the Increasing Influence section. It says you may place 2IPs or draw 2 intrigue cards or place 1IP and PLAY 1 intrigue card. I'm pretty sure the third option is supposed to be place 1IP and DRAW 1 intrigue card.

Here's how the AH words it (again, it's possible the new edition meant to change this rule): "For each of his two new IP he does not use, the player is entitled to draw one Intrigue card instead. However, he must place any new IP he will claim before drawing any cards."

That last sentence is also in the new version. Which doesn't make sense if we go with the current wording of 1 IP and playing 1 intrigue card. Because the other two options don't have you placing and drawing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zenflux
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themagicisover wrote:
DiploGuy wrote:

I'm not raising these concerns to be a dick. I'm raising them because I read the rules multiple times and started playing a sample game and was honestly left with no answers to some of the most basic gameplay mechanics. Hopefully the publisher will issue a PDF of the rulebook with all the rules. On the surface this game is great, and I'm sure once all the bits are in place it'll be fun, but it's suffering from a severe lack of attention to detail.

An updated PDF would be nice indeed. I haven't got my copy of the game yet. Maybe the old rules can be enough for assistance if there are some problems with the new rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark,

I think you have to be right on that "draw" vs. "play" issue. I put it into the errata list thread.

Lance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Nuite
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:
Thanks Mark,

I think you have to be right on that "draw" vs. "play" issue. I put it into the errata list thread.

Lance

Thanks for compiling all these Lance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.