Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funniest thing I have read all day. I hope he does run as Hillary should get a tune up from someone as far left as she is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Funniest thing I have read all day. I hope he does run as Hillary should get a tune up from someone as far left as she is.

Fiscal responsability is such a leftist ideal these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Help us Jello!

"California Uber Alles"

I am Governor Jerry Brown
My aura smiles
And never frowns
Soon I will be president...

Carter Power will soon go away
I will be Fuhrer one day
I will command all of you
Your kids will meditate in school
Your kids will meditate in school!

[Chorus:]
California Uber Alles
California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California
Uber Alles California

Zen fascists will control you
100% natural
You will jog for the master race
And always wear the happy face

Close your eyes, can't happen here
Big Bro' on white horse is near
The hippies won't come back you say
Mellow out or you will pay
Mellow out or you will pay!

[Chorus]

Now it is 1984
Knock-knock at your front door
It's the suede/denim secret police
They have come for your uncool niece

Come quietly to the camp
You'd look nice as a drawstring lamp
Don't you worry, it's only a shower
For your clothes here's a pretty flower.

DIE on organic poison gas
Serpent's egg's already hatched
You will croak, you little clown
When you mess with President Brown
When you mess with President Brown

[Chorus]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
Jello Biafra. Now there's a guy who's truly Far Left. Always a hoot, though. DKs rule.

The reason this came to my mind so quickly was I was listening to Holiday In Cambodia the other day on the bus and thinking that it's the First World Problems theme song. So DK's were fresh in my memory. My three favorite punk bads:

Dead Kennedy's
The Misfits
Minor Threat

I like Discharge a lot also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The right will oppose the tax cuts, the left will oppose the spending cuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Luckily, most voters are in the center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Luckily, most voters are in the center.
But most of the press (and those who actually control the parties) are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah but he old
american voters don't like no old balls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
LeeDambis wrote:
Jello Biafra. Now there's a guy who's truly Far Left. Always a hoot, though. DKs rule.

The reason this came to my mind so quickly was I was listening to Holiday In Cambodia the other day on the bus and thinking that it's the First World Problems theme song. So DK's were fresh in my memory. My three favorite punk bads:

Dead Kennedy's
The Misfits
Minor Threat

I like Discharge a lot also.

No Clash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

No Clash?

Nope, never really liked their sound. "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" has sentimental value to me for different reasons, but their style never really resonated with me. Actually, when looking for the video above I watched an interview with Jello where he talks about why he never liked the Clash that fit with me too, as far as Punk goes. He said that they were trying too hard (in the U.S. at least) to be Rock heroes. "Rock The Casbah" was not Punk to me, I thought it really was just Pop Pock. Not that I am any expert on Punk, my appreciation of it obviously has always taken a backseat to Metal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a little more on The Clash, now that I have thought about it. One of the other things that always bothered me about The Clash was that they were the "hip" punk band that people who wanted to be Punk, but weren't, listened to for Punk cred and their sound reflected that to me. I haven't met too many people who liked The Clash who also had a Black Flag or D.O.A. album.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Just a little more on The Clash, now that I have thought about it. One of the other things that always bothered me about The Clash was that they were the "hip" punk band that people who wanted to be Punk, but weren't, listened to for Punk cred and their sound reflected that to me. I haven't met too many people who liked The Clash who also had a Black Flag or D.O.A. album.

Punk - hipster before it was cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I love California. Sadly, the "recovery" is not as advertised. A lengthy article in the Economist peels some of the glib layers back and shows the details a little more starkly. I wish it were real though because, I love California.

Except Californians keep leaving the state in droves, moving here, to Oregon (?!?), Texas. etc. Looking at the breakdown on unemployment there it's more clear why people leave. 9-15% percent in areas not associated with the high tech corridor or the little beach-boom area south of LA. The working stiffs in the Valleys, both big ones and in the heavy agricultural Sacramento area are suffering.

Most of the influx of cash comes from the taxes paid by the super-rich, fueled partly by the stock market boom cycle and the new tax increases Brown ushered in. Those expire when he leaves office and the millionaires are already deserting the state. As I understand it Brown also managed to get his liberal legislature to pass a law that allows taxes to be raised on a simple majority vote. Wow. If every blue state could do that there'd be an economic recovery in each and every one of them. You know, the coffers filling up like a balloon filling with air, growing and growing and growing until... you get the picture.

Oh, and why isn't the LA/Hollywood area also booming? Hollywood? Movies. Bucks. Because taxes on the industry are so high that shooting days in the LA area have declined by as much 50% over the last 5 or 6 years. From what I read the other day they have a "lottery" for tax breaks in the movie/TV industry. A lottery. If your production is lucky you get a tax break. Otherwise pay up. And there's like 20 or so lucky ones and nearly 500 applicants for the break. Liberal politics at it's best.

Moonbeam hasn't fixed a damned thing. He raised taxes, people have fled by the millions, he's driving the big dollars to friendly red states and the infrastructure, schools and jobs situations are still crumbling.

But the color charts and graphs are appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Except Californians keep leaving the state in droves,

It's apparently been [url=http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cr_71.htm]happening since 1992[/ur], foreign immigration was the only reason for any increase. Domestic migration has been almost entirely negative since then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:

East Bay Ray is about as republican as you can get

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
I love California. Sadly, the "recovery" is not as advertised. A lengthy article in the Economist peels some of the glib layers back and shows the details a little more starkly. I wish it were real though because, I love California.

Except Californians keep leaving the state in droves, moving here, to Oregon (?!?), Texas. etc. Looking at the breakdown on unemployment there it's more clear why people leave. 9-15% percent in areas not associated with the high tech corridor or the little beach-boom area south of LA. The working stiffs in the Valleys, both big ones and in the heavy agricultural Sacramento area are suffering.

Most of the influx of cash comes from the taxes paid by the super-rich, fueled partly by the stock market boom cycle and the new tax increases Brown ushered in. Those expire when he leaves office and the millionaires are already deserting the state. As I understand it Brown also managed to get his liberal legislature to pass a law that allows taxes to be raised on a simple majority vote. Wow. If every blue state could do that there'd be an economic recovery in each and every one of them. You know, the coffers filling up like a balloon filling with air, growing and growing and growing until... you get the picture.

Oh, and why isn't the LA/Hollywood area also booming? Hollywood? Movies. Bucks. Because taxes on the industry are so high that shooting days in the LA area have declined by as much 50% over the last 5 or 6 years. From what I read the other day they have a "lottery" for tax breaks in the movie/TV industry. A lottery. If your production is lucky you get a tax break. Otherwise pay up. And there's like 20 or so lucky ones and nearly 500 applicants for the break. Liberal politics at it's best.

Moonbeam hasn't fixed a damned thing. He raised taxes, people have fled by the millions, he's driving the big dollars to friendly red states and the infrastructure, schools and jobs situations are still crumbling.

Hmm. The state's population has increased by 1.1 million since 2010. Jobs are up 1.25 million. Those new taxes raise $6 billion a year. The remainder is the result of taxes that were on the books when Arnold left office. This year's budget plan includes provisions for a $1.5 billion "rainy day fund" designed to ease the roller-coaster ride that is endemic to a state which raises so much of its revenue through income taxation.

Property taxes here, as I'm sure you know, are well below what they are in other states thanks to Prop. 13. This means that the state government must pay the lion's share of school budgets, and income tax is the least objectionable way to do that. The problem with income taxes is that they tend to fluctuate with the economy much more quickly than real estate prices. When the economy goes in the tank, so do income tax revenues. That - also - is a choice that California's voters made. It has nothing to do with Jerry Brown. It was an unintended consequence of Howard Jarvis' "little" initiative.

Gosh. If that's true... that you can recover a state by raising taxes then somebody needs to send Scott Walker a lifeline. He's clearly doing it all wrong.

** the unemployment stats are for real cause the federal government says so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
TheChin! wrote:
I will take the social-justice message of The Clash over the petty, shirtless, atonal, SoCal meathead ethos of hacks like Henry Rollins any day. The Clash were the one band that actually aimed higher than just saying "FUCK THE SYSTEM, DUUUUDE!"

Also, Strummer/Jones could actually write a song, rather than just rant over the same 3 chords.

Also, just to be clear: No Clash means no Black Flag and no DOA. (Seriously, who outside of Canada ever gave a fuck about DOA anyhow?!)

Also, I would argue that Black Flag ranks right up there with The Misfits in terms of "Bands whose t-shirts are way more popular than their actual musical output."

Also, in case I haven't completely derailed this thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
I will take the social-justice message of The Clash over the petty, shirtless, atonal, SoCal meathead ethos of hacks like Henry Rollins any day. The Clash were the one band that actually aimed higher than just saying "FUCK THE SYSTEM, DUUUUDE!"

Also, Strummer/Jones could actually write a song, rather than just rant over the same 3 chords.

Also, just to be clear: No Clash means no Black Flag and no DOA. (Seriously, who outside of Canada ever gave a fuck about DOA anyhow?!)

Also, I would argue that Black Flag ranks right up there with The Misfits in terms of "Bands whose t-shirts are way more popular than their actual musical output."

If you are measuring the quality of a punk band by whether they or their actual songs were "popular" or whether they composed harmonious melodies or not, then you might have missed the point of punk to begin with. But, who am I to judge, enjoy your Social Distortion collection and I'll go listen to the Exploited and we'll agree to disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody just got punk-hipstered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Somebody just got punk-hipstered!

Don't get me started on post-black album Metallica fans, or I'll get into my metal-hipster mode which is much more elitist and uncompromising than my casual association with Punk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
LeeDambis wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

Hmm. The state's population has increased by 1.1 million since 2010. Jobs are up 1.25 million. Those new taxes raise $6 billion a year. The remainder is the result of taxes that were on the books when Arnold left office. This year's budget plan includes provisions for a $1.5 billion "rainy day fund" designed to ease the roller-coaster ride that is endemic to a state which raises so much of its revenue through income taxation.

Property taxes here, as I'm sure you know, are well below what they are in other states thanks to Prop. 13. This means that the state government must pay the lion's share of school budgets, and income tax is the least objectionable way to do that. The problem with income taxes is that they tend to fluctuate with the economy much more quickly than real estate prices. When the economy goes in the tank, so do income tax revenues. That - also - is a choice that California's voters made. It has nothing to do with Jerry Brown. It was an unintended consequence of Howard Jarvis' "little" initiative.

Gosh. If that's true... that you can recover a state by raising taxes then somebody needs to send Scott Walker a lifeline. He's clearly doing it all wrong.

** the unemployment stats are for real cause the federal government says so.

Don't know if you want to go there, Tripp. Wisconsin is now one of the worst states for job creation, falling from 21st in Walker's first year to 41st last year. California has gone from 46th to 7th* in the same time frame. Wisconsin is now creating jobs at roughly one-third the national rate. California is creating them at five-thirds the national rate.

Of course, all those new California jobs might just be low-paid Wal-Mart...oh, wait, Wal-Mart is Wisconsin's biggest employer, and their job creation statistics still suck.

Damn, Tripp, you're right. Walker is doing it all wrong.

* this is by year-over-year percentage increase

stupid liberal job creation...

stupid sexy Flanders...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
I dunno. Since it's been irrefutably demonstrated that only rich people create jobs...and then only if they get a tax cut...those millionaires who fled the state must've forgotten to pack their job creation machines when they left.

They would have moved them if they got a tax break to do so, sort of like when they got a tax break to move their job creating machines to Asia a few years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
[q="fightcitymayor"]I will take the social-justice message of The Clash over the petty, shirtless, atonal, SoCal meathead ethos of hacks like Henry Rollins any day. The Clash were the one band that actually aimed higher than just saying "FUCK THE SYSTEM, DUUUUDE!"

If you are measuring the quality of a punk band by whether they or their actual songs were "popular" or whether they composed harmonious melodies or not, then you might have missed the point of punk to begin with. But, who am I to judge, enjoy your Social Distortion collection and I'll go listen to the Exploited and we'll agree to disagree.

I'm not sure you can level the accusation of missing the point of punk at fans of one of the founding bands of the genre. I'm as much a fan of Black Flag and the Dead Kennedys as anyone here, but if your definition of punk is so narrow that you're leaving out The Clash, you need some adjustment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I saw Jerry Brown speak at The Ohio State University when he ran for president when I was a student. His theme music was 'World Leader Pretend' by REM.

I've always liked Jerry Brown, because he is a true leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
LeeDambis wrote:
Don't know if you want to go there, Tripp. Wisconsin is now one of the worst states for job creation, falling from 21st in Walker's first year to 41st last year.

That doesn't seem to be correct.

Unless in RSP-land, 11th means 41st somehow.

So rather than go by actual numbers of people working, we should go by a poll which asks about "employee perceptions of job creation at their workplaces." WTF is that?

"Hey, Joe, you guys hiring?"
"Nyeah. I think so. Go ask the boss."

What matters isn't methodology, but rather getting the desired result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.