Subject: Game recommendation for a vacation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're 4 people going on vacation and we would like to bring a new boardgame (or maybe even two). I'm usually in charge of getting our boardgames, but the problem is that my wishlist has grown rather big.

The 3 main criteria for the game(s) are: High replay value (we're probably going to play each day for 14 days), easy to transport (need to put it in suit case or carry on baggage for the plane trip), and translated to danish or more likely no necessary in game text (my dad doesn't know english).

If the game can played aboard an airplane, that would be a plus, but it's not a requirement. (I already looked through the threads about airplane games here on the geek.)

My current list is:
Ladies & Gentlemen
Dragon's Hoard
Acquire
For Sale
Power Grid
Bora Bora
Bruges
Trains
Mr. Jack Pocket
Fairy Tale
Krosmaster: Arena
Le Havre
Stronghold
Tobago
Jamaica
Carson City
Yggdrasil
Colosseum
Amun-Re
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Amber
Myrmes
Biblios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
You could try Carcassonne. It's just a bunch of tiles and meeples so even if you didn't want to take the box you could bag the components although the box isn't overly huge anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Kalenda
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hrmpf, those are very different.

From my experience, I'd say stay away from the heavy hitters (Bora Bora, Le havre, Tzolkin), as you won't be playing them on a holiday anyway, except in case of bad weather.

My suggestion from your list would be Bruges: perfect lenght, good duration (1 hour), always makes me wish to try again (and I keep losing). It's also easy to transport without the box.

My further suggestions would be these card games: Port Royal, Abluxxen, Potato Man (that one can even be played on a train), Qwixx card game. You'd need two or three of them, though, for a fortnight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think I'd take Acquire, Trains and Biblios from that list. All fairly different with different play times. Then take a deck of cards too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124: Not a bad idea, but I'm afraid we've played a lot of Carcassonne in the past and have grown a little tired of it.

Florik: Good points. I'm going to look more into Bruges and those card games you suggested.

SuperGLS: Thanks for the recommendations, I'm just a little afraid that Trains is too big. Any input on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would check your list and make sure that all the games on there are still in print. Would be a shame if something happened, like a bag got lost or something and you lost an OOP game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive would work.

And Love Letter can be played on an airplane.

Edit: Hive is only 2 player but highly replayable and no language dependence. Love Letter can play up to four, but would require some interpretation, but it's only a card's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I see you have both light games and heavy listed. These games have little to no text and we love them.

Lighter games:
I would vote fairy tale for a easy, very fun, and deceptively deep game and practically no text.
Splendor is the new rage and pretty good.

Heavy games:
archon: glory and machination. Awesome heavy game. Gorgeous to look at. Would definitely be time well spent conquering this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Love Letter

If. I could only recommend one game, I'd recommend Hanabi. Since I can recommend more, you might want to think about Fluxx (in whatever flavor/variation you prefer), or possibly Condottiere if you want something really compact that still has a board instead of just cards.

EDIT: Strike Fluxx due to heavy language dependence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Condottiere. You could probably even play it on a plane, and it has a super small box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my experience, I rarely have the time to play long games during vacation (I think 30-45 is the max). Set up and tear down are another factor that you need to consider. Based on these, you can rule out some of the game in your wishlist (but of course, unless long gaming is agreed by all members).

Many great suggestions have been listed here, so I'll just echo some:

- +1 Port Royal
- +1 Abluxxen
- +1 Biblios
- +1 Love Letter
- Qwirkle
- 7 Wonders
- Sail to India
- OddVille
- Splendor (prone to AP with 4)
- Spyrium

Slightly limited in replay value (in my opinion):
- Cartagena (debatable)
- Archaeology: The Card Game
- Coloretto

Please update us on what you're finally getting yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lazzaro

Schaumburg
Illinois
msg tools
+1 for Hanabi, surprised it's only been mentioned once. A worthy Spiehl winner that is light and portable.

Maybe try Space Cadets. Only one person really needs to know English to read the scenario and it is a fun game, albeit not for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your great suggestions!

We'll look into all of them and I'll make sure to let you know what we decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to low availability we chose two different games. We ended up with Alhambra and Ra: The Dice Game.

We also bought Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride for the Ipad, so we can pass and play on the airplane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.