Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: house rule I am considering rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
cloak defence dice can be used to block/remove critical hits first rather than having to be used to remove normal hits first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No no no, that is the disadvantage of cloak, do what you want, but it is specifically designed with purpose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
No no no, that is the disadvantage of cloak, do what you want, but it is specifically designed with purpose

I could live with it as a bonus to Romulan cloaks. It would give them a good bonus for having better cloaks than anyone else.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Romulans should have a reward for being better at cloaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
yes good point about Romulan cloak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really takes away one of the inherent risks of cloaking (both in game AND in the source material). Shields are down, so your systems are more vulnerable to being damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
well maybe there is a card idea here somewhere...

Thing that gets me is later ships with bigger weapons 5dice plus can hit cloaked ships easier...logic asks why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Chow
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Well, perhaps the large attack numbers represent the amount of guns as well as their power. The "spray and pray" method would probably be an okay method. It's like the Balance of Terror episode, with the Enterprise guess-firing everywhere.

Anyways, as to why a cloaked ship is suddenly more susceptible to receiving critical hits? I dunno, call it a hero moment, where against a hidden foe, the intrepid captain relies on his instinct and snaps off a shot and had the hero outcome of hitting his enemy where it hurt the most... Qapla!

The Interphase Generator and the Polarized Hull upgrade cards are good ways of mitigating cloaked related damage. I'd give those a spin if you've got them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
Romulans already have tech that lets you convert a crit into a normal hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Barnes
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That would be a powerful ability on a future Romulan commander or crew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troll66 wrote:

Thing that gets me is later ships with bigger weapons 5dice plus can hit cloaked ships easier...logic asks why?

It's a manifestation of the automatic weapons rules of most wargames: the more shooty you are, the hittier you can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apo apsis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troll66 wrote:

It seems to be the fad lately in games to try and reduce the number of dice you have to roll to figure things out. The fewer dice rolls your game has, the more streamlined, elegant, fluid, whatever trendy term you want to give it. That's a game design decision.

For games like Attack Wing (where more dice in an attack represents a more powerful attack and not a multitude of small attacks), it doesn't really simulate the effects of things like cloaking devices very well. That would, in my opinion, require a two step process: a to- hit roll followed by a damage roll.

I think the two step process would work well in Attack Wing. But it would slow things down and make the game mechanics a little more complicated, and I don't know if there's anything tied in with the license from Fantasy Flight Games that would prevent a change like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For now, I'm happy with a flat +4 for the bonus to defense dice for cloaked ships. But if the bonus were a combination of Agility + Remaining Shield tokens, it would at least be tied to something and still fall out at about +4 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please God NO!!!! Seriously I'm getting my nacelles kicked by Klingons already without giving them more advantages. My poor Feds are ready to be assimilated by the Borg if it will just let them win the darned battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.