Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody interested in RUNNING a PBEM tournament?

For that matter, is anyone interested in PLAYING in a PBEM tournament?

How many of you already play games on your mobile devices or your computer?

Would you like to see more tournaments or do you just prefer a single game here or there?

The tournaments I would likely play include Maria, Twilight Struggle, Gangsters, Here I Stand, Virgin Queen, B-17, The Hunters, Carcassonne, Dominant Species, Crayon Rails, RoboRally, Lost Cities, Puerto Rico, Ra!, and Battleline.

If you would play in a tournament, what aids would you prefer? Cyberboard, ACTS, Vassal, iPad, Android, something else?

I think it would be great to have more options for online play between conventions. For that to happen, though, we would need some GMs to step up and run the tourneys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two dominant venues for playing Euros these days are the two that you don't mention of course

Yucata.de and BoardGameArena

Overlap between existing WBC tournaments and Yucata include:
Few Acres of Snow
Egizia
El Grande
Saint Petersburg
Stone Age
Thurn and Taxis
Yspahan

BoardGameArena focuses on live play, and thus might not be in the spirit of the old PBEM tradition. Their overlap offerings include:
Can't Stop
Puerto Rico
Race for the Galaxy
Spyrium
Stone Age
Through the Ages
Tzolk'in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! That is why I asked....I don't know all of the latest good stuff

In most cases, live play is fine--assuming you can get players together to play. I would think that scheduling a time would work--though things get dicey working with different time zones.

If you or someone else would like to run one of those games you list as a tournament, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would re-run Stone Age on Yucata again. I'd also play in a few of those listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to run a WBC Thurn and Taxis tournament on Yucata, starting shortly after the 2014 WBC.

The problem with running a wbc tournament on a live play site is what to do if two people are unable to find a mutually agreeable time to play. If they are in very different time zones, this can happen, and I'd hate to have to adjudicate whose "fault" it was that the game never got played. Otherwise, I would run a Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage WBC tournament on wargameroom.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Max,

How did that tournament go? What went well? What was difficult? What would you handle differently this time?

Kaarin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link to a presentation about running PBEM tournaments: http://www.boardgamers.org/seminars/gm101pbem.pdf. It is certainly not up-to-date with the latest ways to run a tournament. I think Max would be the expert on running Euro PBEM/Computer tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering proposing to run a Yspahan tournament after WBC. The yucata.de interface is very easy to use and learn.

Personally, I prefer asynchronous events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe match people in the same or nearby time zone for the first round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kengelma wrote:
Max,

How did that tournament go? What went well? What was difficult? What would you handle differently this time?

Kaarin

I would add time limits to make sure heats finished at the same time. It would make setting up pool play easier. Otherwise, I just had people send me screenshots when they won and things went pretty well. School got in the way for a while so I hadn't put an event online in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody interested in RUNNING a PBEM tournament? Maybe after WBC

For that matter, is anyone interested in PLAYING in a PBEM tournament?

I'm currently playing in the WBC GCoACW and Hannibal tournament and I was knocked out the Washington's War Tournament.

How many of you already play games on your mobile devices or your computer?
Would you like to see more tournaments or do you just prefer a single game here or there? either

The tournaments I would likely play include Maria, Twilight Struggle, Gangsters, Here I Stand, Virgin Queen, B-17, The Hunters, Carcassonne, Dominant Species, Crayon Rails, RoboRally, Lost Cities, Puerto Rico, Ra!, and Battleline.

If you would play in a tournament, what aids would you prefer? Cyberboard, ACTS, Vassal, iPad, Android, something else?

ACTs for keeping track of dice and cards
Vassal for maps stored on a shared dropbox

I think it would be great to have more options for online play between conventions. For that to happen, though, we would need some GMs to step up and run the tourneys!

I'm not a big fan of multiplayer games by email because 1 slow player can hold up the game. Or if 1 player drops out the game is screwed but I may be willing to set up a Maria tournament after WBC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At http://www.boiteajeux.net/ overlap includes:

Agricola, alhambra, Castles of Burgundy, and Tzolk'in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
Otherwise, I would run a Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage WBC tournament on wargameroom.com

In the meantime, just get everyone from the BPA to play in the WGR HRC league.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Kosarev
Russia
Lyubertsy
Moscovskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mb
Never yet played PBEM Tournaments, just single PBEM games of TNW, but I would like to play in Twhilight Struggle, The Napoleonic Wars, Hannibal PBEM Tournaments.
I prefer ACTS for keeping track of dice and cards and Vassal or Cyberboard for maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd certainly be up for Here I Stand, Sword of Rome, The Napoleonic Wars, History of the World, or Successors. I'd also be interested in some of the shorter Euro / abstract games, but personally I did not find Board Game Arena to provide a satisfying experience. WGR is great but I only use it for pickup games because the leagues I played in resulted in too many opponents who simply didn't communicate, plus some of the time limits are too fast for my taste. I vastly prefer Cyberboard over Vassal for exchanging maps. Whatever the tournament, I'd be in favor of having the results submitted to AREA which I think is a really underutilized resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Information about the 2014 Stone Age tournament are available at this link:

http://maxjamelli1.wix.com/stoneagebpa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Max, you can sign me up. Maybe this year I'll even make it out of pool play. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curt, do me a favor - go to the website and sign in through the contact form. That's where I'm storing info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for running this, Max! I definitely want to sign up, but I can't make a Yucata account right now, so if you could send a message on these boards at some point, that would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Max - Do you need some help registering on Yucata or just a reminder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
Max, you can sign me up. Maybe this year I'll even make it out of pool play. :/

Curt - you succeeded. Got your info. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to get off my domesticated beast of burden and run something here soon. Several games that I would like to play PBEM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Williams
Morocco
flag msg tools
I don't plan on running another TNW unless I can make it quick and balanced, which means either a bidding mechanism or a ladder.

I could be persuaded to run HIS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame Peter Stein for my recent pre-occupation with playing Through the Ages on http://www.boardgaming-online.com/. It's a great interface (worthy of a PBEM tourney). Karsten Engelmann and I can usually finish a game in one day (with him upstairs in his office and me downstairs in mine....using IM to speed the time between turns). My skill level has increased over the past few days--maybe I won't be so embarrassed during the tournament this year.

PS: It runs on the internet. I've been able to play using both on my PC and on my ipad. There is a full journal to record what happened during the turn. There is no charge to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
I'm going to have to get off my domesticated beast of burden and run something here soon. Several games that I would like to play PBEM.

What would you be interested in running? If you're running something I'm playing, I'd help you out building the website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.