6 Posts

Cards Against Humanity» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A brief review of a game for the right occasion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Levy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has apparently hit my area by storm - lots and lots of people have been buying it and playing it. After several good games, I want to give a brief review.

First, I'm not going to go through all the basics of a review. The other reviews on this board are pretty spot on. Briefly, cards are good quality, rules are extremely simple, and it's not a game for the easily offended.

I must stress the propensity of this game to offend. For example, there is a black card that says, "The world is being overrun by ________; our only solace is ________." In my last game, someone actually played "black people" and "AIDS", which is probably one of the most offensive things that one could say while playing a game. Or so I thought - when I retold that story to a friend he informed me that in one game someone played "the Jews" and "Auschwitz".

So yes, not for the easily offended. But let me tell you why I think this is the perfect game for the right situation. It's certainly not for a time when you really want to play a heavy war strategy game or a 2hr. Euro-game. But when you're in a group of 5 or more adults, who are drinking, chatting, joking, etc. and you want to play a light game, this is a good one. Especially when you don't have a game that everyone knows how to play. It takes maybe 45 seconds to teach the rules to someone. It also doesn't kill the party vibe. And drinking makes this game all the better.

I think that it's also important that all the people in the group have the same sense of humor. Yeah, I know that many people say that they found this game totally dull and not funny. But those are probably the same people who didn't like Hitchhiker's Guide.

I also disagree with some who say that the game doesn't have much strategy and is too subjective. There is actually a lot of strategy in the game. If you are playing to win, you need to play the player. If the judge likes to poke fun at George Bush, then play that card and don't bother with the card that makes fun of Harry Potter (even is you personally think that it's funnier). In my last game, I was so in someone's head that almost every time that she was the judge I won the card.

The one downside to it is the lack of replayability. I would reckon that you have maybe 10 plays with the base set before it starts to get old and you need to expand. At some point, all of the really good card combos will have been played and they are no longer funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
f you buy it and several expansions right out of the gate you will have a great lasting variety.

I also find playing with new people revitalizes it. Sure, warm velvety muppet sex may lose its hilarity and appeal after 10 plays but to a new player it will bring some laughs and breathe new life into the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to the other suggestions, I also find that changing up voting patterns extends longevity. If you always select the most offensive combo as the winner, then you'll have people putting out the most offensive combo all the time.

If you start picking the clever ones, or the unexpected ones, even if they don't work as perfectly as the purely offensive one, you start to see people pull some creative things out to get the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
Idaho11 wrote:
To add to the other suggestions, I also find that changing up voting patterns extends longevity. If you always select the most offensive combo as the winner, then you'll have people putting out the most offensive combo all the time.

If you start picking the clever ones, or the unexpected ones, even if they don't work as perfectly as the purely offensive one, you start to see people pull some creative things out to get the card.

Who ever said you had to pick most offensive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At our table the rule is "pick your favorite".

It could be the funniest. Or sometimes the most disgusting. Sometimes its not funny at all but it is so true and well put together that you pick that card.
Some times players pick cards just because they are an auto win.
My one friend will pick any card mentioning midgets every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWhoWho wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

Who ever said you had to pick most offensive?

I'm not saying anyone said that. I've just found that, through playing with many different groups, a lot of people tend towards that. Even if not realizing it. And it usually results in a game that's less fun than when I play with people who go for more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.