Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William R
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG,

Origins 2014 will be my first ever gaming con and I am not entirely sure what to do or expect. I bought a two day show pass, some generics, and scheduled a pair events. I am hoping to demo some new games and bring them back to my gaming group. Picking up show exclusives also sounds like a blast.

Origins Veterans, what do I need to do/check out at the Convention to make the most of my experience?

Thanks!

Note: I am very familiar with the Columbus area (went to school there). I'm looking for more Origins-specific information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the map in the program guide. Figure out where your events are. Most board game events are in Hall D. Some exceptions are in the rooms across from the big exhibit halls. They are known as C, and D pod. The Dealer hall is in Hall C so its close by. Exhibit Hall E will be filled with magic players most the weekend. Exhibit Hall F is full of miniatures. It connects to Hall D. I always like to check out the miniature displays, because the terrain is amazing.

There is a new program that has gone on the past couple years. The front of Hall D is full of sponsors and they demo events and stay open later than the Dealer Hall. The Dealer hall is the traditional place to demo events, but some of that was moved to Hall D. One thing to keep in mind is the Dealer Hall is only open 10-6 and isn't open Wednesday.

Here is a nice map I found. It doesn't include the Hyatt which is on the right side. Its connected and some events are there, but most are RPGs so you may or may not care. However if you want food the food court under the Hyatt(Mykonos Gyros rock) is much better than stuff near the exhibit halls. Or the north market(you probably know this).

The auction is in one of the 3 giant ballrooms across from Hall C. You could find some cool older stuff there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd plan to spend 4 hours to walk around the vendor hall and check out anything new and demo games. Other than that I like to walk around and take it all in. I spend most of my time in the board room or open gaming playing lots games. I tend to not do more than 1 scheduled game a day, so if I happen upon a pick up game I can join. In the evening check out the big bar on 2, the seats fill up fast so you may have to stand and have a drink bring a small game to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I wrote some blog posts to answer just that, based on my experience at Origins.

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/search/label/Origins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spend time at the exhibitors hall.
Go to the room that has game demos going on. In past years it split space with the miniatures games. Play many cool demos
Check out one of the Origins Award nominated games. They have a collection you can check out. (As in check out of a library.)
Play many games in open area.
Look for games you might like.
Play someone's prototype design.
Go back through the Exhibitors hall to catch something you missed.

Have a blast. I really wish I could go this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roth
United States
cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quick question - Do you typically need "generic ticket/tokens" if you want to play a publisher's demo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Broth32 wrote:
Quick question - Do you typically need "generic ticket/tokens" if you want to play a publisher's demo?

No. Though any scheduled event probably needs a real ticket (which gets dibs) or a generic, so I guess it depends on what you mean by "demo" (e.g. the giant versions required tickets).

One thing that's not obvious: You can return generic tokens for cash at the end of the con (don't wait till the last minute). So, you can pick up $10 worth to hold on to in case you end up needing them.

Caveat: I haven't been to Origins in a couple years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.