Subject: bruxelles 1893, madeira, or amerigo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Miller
United States
Pasco
WA
flag msg tools
Got some amazon.com points - thinking about next game and looking at these three. Group likes medium to heavy euros, around a 3 hr playtime is ok, and we typically play with 4 (occasionally 5 if the game supports)

madeira was the first one that caught my eye, but the 4.2 weight rating scares me off a bit. terra mystica (3.8) has been successful with my group, but that's the heaviest one we've tried. is madeira that much of a step up from terra mystica?

bruxelles 1893 looks like a feld, but towards the heavier end of his spectrum. bora bora and castles of burgundy have been popular so the feld comparisons are not a bad thing

amerigo seems like a safe decision, but maybe too light.

i normally watch the rahdo videos to help decide, but in this case he was reasonably excited about all 3. i could maybe buy 2 but not all 3. im the one that buys for the group mostly, so playing somebody elses copies first isnt really an option

thoughts? open to other suggestions too, but i'm 90 or so games deep in this hobby so i have a lot of the basic suggestions. my list on here is mostly current.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madeira is no problem for someone who enjoys Bora Bora. In fact, the theme in Madeira is less pasted than Bora Bora. Mechanisms fit the theme. Terra Mystica is about the depth of a Madeira game, just in a worker placement way with Madeira.

Bruxelles might "fire" other games in your collection.

Amerigo is lighter. Skip it if you want heavier.

If you are following Richard's favorites, Shipyard and Capitals are a few missing from your collection for the heavies.

Lewis and Clark might be one to look into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that Madeira was overly long and complex for what it offered, and prefer Amerigo as it's lighter and shorter. Then I read the OP's post properly, and tend to think that his group will find Amerigo too light and random, and they have enough time available to play Madeira so he might as well go for that one.

As to Bruxelles, I own it but have yet to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Miller
United States
Pasco
WA
flag msg tools
thank you both for the responses. while I was leaning towards a heavy game for this purchase, we still play some lighter stuff especially when introducing new players into modern board gaming. a lot of times we used deckbuilders (ascension, star realms, trains) but its not uncommon for something like ticket to ride or Carcassonne to see action still.

the core group has progressed towards heavier games and the ones that come to mind that were most successful are terra mystica, tzolkin, power grid, burgundy, bora bora, russian railroads, and core worlds (which I hardly consider a deckbuilder). this is why I was thinking the heavier games were maybe a better choice.

my concern with something like amerigo is it looks like it has a lot of bits and pieces. if its got extensive setup and tear down, I need some pretty good depth otherwise it will never get played over some of the previously mentioned games. also, it may be kind of a "betweener" where its too heavy to use as a gateway but too light to catch the interest of the core group..

I've also got caverna and nations on deck to teach, but with games like these i'm always concerned they'll just go out of print so I don't mind being a few games ahead on purchases.

leaning towards madeira, but the capitals (which I had never heard of) also seems like a great recommendation.

thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all 3 and TBH, wasn't that bothered by any of them.

Amerigo would make a good gateway. The cube tower adds the raw fun element that is missing from some of the lighter games out there. Experienced gamers will be frustrated by the illusion of choice.

Madeira is a bit too much like work. There are a lot of interesting decisions to make, with many of them forcing you to make decisions with 3 or 4 variables, but it lacked fun. If you have anyone in your group that suffers from AP, they will crumple under this game.

Bruxelles 1893 was frustrating, the additional layer to worker placement of either bolting on auctions or loss of workers doesn't feel terribly well implemented. The auctions are a little wonky and I don't think it made the game any richer, whilst the worker loss was just a game of chicken.

Both Madeira and Bruxelles are games I'm glad I've played, but if I wanted to play something mentally taxing, I would pick Dominant Species, Shogun, Imperial 2030, Steam, Eclipse, Nations, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, Brass: Lancashire, Keyflower, Lewis & Clark, Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization or Agricola first, and only look to these if I fancied a change. You have Nations and Agricola, I suggest you take a look at the rest as they will be a good match for your group.

Of the games I've listed I'd particularly like to draw your attention to the following.

Keyflower - This game does a much better job of integrating auctions and worker placement than Bruxelles.
Lewis and Clark - This will be an excellent transitional game if you prefer to use deckbuilders as your gateway. It has a number of the strategies from a deckbuilder present, but with a bit more substance.
Dominant Species - If you want something in your face and aggressive this is it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Smith
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gotten to play Madeira and Bruxelles 1893 just once apiece so far but enjoyed them both tremendously. They both explore bundling multiple decisions into a single move and wrap a bunch of other systems around that core. Madeira is slightly the heavier of the two. If you got your group to pay attention long enough to learn Terra Mystica then you can get these taught. I actually think their mechanics integrate better with their themes which helps the rules stick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Miller
United States
Pasco
WA
flag msg tools
thanks for all the recommendations! i decided the right answer was a $100 CSI order to hit free shipping. picked up both madeira and bruxelles 1893, and preordered the new ascension set to get to $100.

keyflower and dominant species both look like better recommendations for my group as well. still have some interest in amerigo (partially to complete my feld collection), but i think these 2 games are now a higher priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.