Hide
15 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: deos combat commander have tanks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
doug keepout
msg tools
deos combat commander have tanks? I was just wandering cus I want it for my birthday but I'm not sure if it has tank warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither Combat Commander: Europe nor Combat Commander: Pacific have tanks except as very abstracted on board or off-board support. An expansion Combat Commander: Battle Pack #5 – Fall of the West, introduces optional rules for simulating tanks within the CC system.

If you're looking for a system with tank warfare, the CC system almost exclusively focused on infantry warfare and is probably not the best choice.

If you're really into the tank warfare side of things, Panzer (second edition) is a very good game with a strong focus on tanks/AFVs. If you're looking for a game with tank warfare by the same designer, Chad Jensen, I highly recommend Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division, which has both infantry and tank warfare and is an excellent game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are experimental rules for simulating Armored Fighting Vehicles in Battle Pack 5: Fall of the West, but Combat Commander focuses on small squads of men, and not vehicles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely accurate answer: Yes.

Completely realistic answer: No.

They are represented abstractly in a few scenarios in expansion 5, but should not be considered a major component of the game in any way. The scale is too small for tanks to make a lot of sense.

That said, this game is amazing and worth keeping in mind.

If you want tanks, consider Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer or Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943 instead.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer; its AFV rules are an excellent balance between complexity and playability when using a dozen or more vehicles on the board at a time.

Also, I should clarify that I also really like Combat Commander, but it's not the game to get if you want tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Completely accurate answer: Yes.

Completely realistic answer: No.

They are represented abstractly in a few scenarios in expansion 5, but should not be considered a major component of the game in any way. The scale is too small for tanks to make a lot of sense.

That said, this game is amazing and worth keeping in mind.

If you want tanks, consider Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer or Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943 instead.

Cheers,

+1.

Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes and Advanced Tobruk are also possible choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Jacovis wrote:

Meh. Ambush managed putting tanks in a couple scenarios. I think it's
more that the idea of adding a tank to a couple of scenarios would require too
much effort in design work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope doesnt have them. I do not miss them. Combat Commander is excellent but if you want tanks I would go with Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes or Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tankruler1945 wrote:
Deos Combat Commander

Combat Commander of the Gods ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't have tanks, but it DOES have fire cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL has tanks...ASL has every tank......ASL has everything......except fire cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Wawrosch
United States
Brimfield Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
It doesn't have tanks, but it DOES have fire cards.

Same logic applies to almost any CDG and I love ASL but (as Gordon will know from our games) it has its own frustrations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Khan
msg tools
I almost didn't buy CC:E because it didn't have tanks, but now I'm glad I did. CC:E doesn't really do combined arms, but it's a fantastic infantry+chaos=fun simulation.

I still have plenty of stuff with tanks including some of the other titles mentioned (Conflict of Heroes: AtB and SoS, Fighting Formations) and I break those out every now and then when I want to make Panzers burn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.