Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Peck
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Not a game article, but how the Germans might have won the battle is the theme of many wargames. These are just my thoughts on how the Germans might have repelled the landings. I'm sure many of you can come up with your own. http://nationalinterest.org/feature/five-ways-d-day-could-ha...

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the panzer divisions driving through Normandy and to the sea, let's not forget the terrain. The same hedgerow country that hindered the Allied breakout would've hindered the German break-in.

The Allies had something like 100,000 well-equipped troops ashore in the first 24 hours -- that's a lot to push back into the sea, especially when one lacks air superiority.

(ADDED) There's also a case to be made for Allied air supremacy over Normany when regarding a faster panzer reserve reaction. Concentrations of German armor could draw more carpet bombings like the pasting Panzer Lehr was subjected to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice article Michael! I'm enjoying your writing.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hammerschmidt
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Regarding the panzer divisions driving through Normandy and to the sea, let's not forget the terrain. The same hedgerow country that hindered the Allied breakout would've hindered the German break-in.

The Allies had something like 100,000 well-equipped troops ashore in the first 24 hours -- that's a lot to push back into the sea, especially when one lacks air superiority.

And experience in the Mediterranean showed that German attacks in the presence of Allied Naval bombardment took very heavy losses are rarely succeeded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Canadians had not landed at Juno.

That should say it all. ninja arrrh

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Had he been given a free hand Rommel had planned to place the 12ss Division in the Grandcamp region. Now whether or not that would have made a difference at Omaha Beach can be debated but it does give thought to some pretty scary scenarios. If the Allies had abandoned Omaha for Utah (briefly discussed) the American and British beachheads would have been distinctly separate. Would even that have mattered. Again, you could debate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Rinella wrote:
Had he been given a free hand Rommel had planned to place the 12ss Division in the Grandcamp region. Now whether or not that would have made a difference at Omaha Beach can be debated but it does give thought to some pretty scary scenarios. If the Allies had abandoned Omaha for Utah (briefly discussed) the American and British beachheads would have been distinctly separate. Would even that have mattered. Again, you could debate it.

Mike, you should do for D-Day what you did for Market Garden, as in your Monty's Gamble design--a terrific game.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
bentlarsen wrote:
If the Canadians had not landed at Juno.

As at Vimy, the Canadians had a mostly out-classed enemy dominated by overwhelming firepower at JUNO. Take a look at the order of battle of 716 Infanterie Division sometime, as well as their initial deployments on 6 June 1944. It would have been embarrassing not to wipe the floor with them.

Not to take away from the bravery of vets - of any nation - that day, but the Canadians really didn't do anything special. They managed to get to the farthest phase line, which is often mentioned. They didn't stay there though. I believe this was the road/rail line from Caen to Bayeux. A platoon or so of Shermans wandered past Authie and Buron, squatted near the embankment, then retired.

For what it is worth, there were some objectives in the sector unsecured - the radar station, for example, between JUNO and SWORD, which was an incredibly tough nut to crack.

The Canadians are probably lucky that 21st Panzer Division didn't attack sooner, and in greater strength. Those DD Shermans did not include 17-pounder armed Fireflies. Anti-tank power was relegated to the Royal Canadian Artillery, and while the 3rd Division's anti-tank regiment had had been equipped with M10 SPs for the invasion, there has been much ink spilled about the ability of the Canadians to coordinate their efforts during the Normandy battle. In the chaos of June 6, I doubt they would have managed a full-blown counter-attack better - or worse - than the British or Americans.

If you ever come to understand hyperbole and tongue-in-cheek responses, please let me know. First thing I'll do is faint and hit the floor. My post was done with a wink and a nudge and a knowledge of the "facts," which you have bombarded us with. I also posted with the very things you do know kept in my mind: Utah, Omaha, Sword, etc, because truly it was an Allied effort, with the combined services fighting and dying to ensure success.

But thank goodness we have you here to keep those cheeky Canadians in check, lest they poke someone in the eye with a maple leaf or a beaver's tail.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
Ugh. Not only do we have to click through to a separate site for the list, but it is spread over three separate pages.

Yeah, writers of stories always decide personally what the webpage layout should be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
Ugh. Not only do we have to click through to a separate site for the list, but it is spread over three separate pages.

Unless you can, you know, read.

Interesting article. Thanks for the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Michael Dorosh wrote:

Yeah, writers of stories always decide personally what the webpage layout should be...

Interestingly enough, the writer of the story was the same person that made the initial post in this thread.

Clearly, linking an article on this forum is indicative that the person determined the layout of the linked page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Michael Dorosh wrote:

Interestingly enough, the writer of the story was the same person that made the initial post in this thread.

Well, duh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Michael Dorosh wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Michael Dorosh wrote:

Well, duh.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1099261/the-greatest-sniper-...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1058965/why-the-death-of-the...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/875514/cuban-missile-crisis

Mr. Peck uses BGG to drive traffic to other, presumably low-traffic sites. He also rarely participates in his own threads. A genuine desire to discuss the topic and generate discussion here would have, I think, included a more descriptive summary or attempt to engage this audience. Though he is getting better. He used to just post bare URLs.

An alternative way to look at this, Mr. Dorosh, is that Mr. Peck is sharing a link to a topic that he thought might interest denizens of the wargame forum at BGG. BGG users do this occasionally, don't they? Yes, Mr. Peck wrote those pieces. That's OK, isn't it? In any case, they are no charge for BGG members to read, and BGG readers are free to ignore them. In any case, I fail to see how this has caused you any harm, beyond the marginal wear and tear on the keyboard of your computer caused by clicking links.

And as for articles on the web being broken into multiple pages, yes it is inconvenient for the reader, I agree. It is also extremely common (you have seen other websites, right?) and is beyond the control of the writer of a given article.

I hope I have expressed myself simply enough.

Oh and incidentally Mr. Peck, though not as active on BGG as you and I, is a long-time wargamer and a good guy. We played World in Flames together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, me thinks that Fearless Leader has handed you your hat, along with your head, and pointed you to exit stage right until the next opportunity for you to pontificate--likely microseconds away--comes along. Time for you to go back to your cave of allknowing and lick you wounds while plotting your next foray into the world of common sense and good manners.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:

There was no reason for either side to use gas as it conferred no advantages.

True but I suspect it advantages the attacker in WWII as the defender is more fixed to his defensive positions than the attacker is to his positions which he can more easily change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
Poison gas is not convincing

Sarin convinced everyone to manufacture it post-war. The great problem would have been efficient delivery to the target, however impregnated uniforms wouldn't offer protection against something that incapacitates in parts per billion concentration. Presumably it was considered too dangerous for the users in Operation Reinhardt, hence the use of the common cyanide-based insecticide Zyklon. Hitler's firm antipathy toward chemical weapons was reported by many, and may have been influenced by his own gassing, however he supposedly cited the Hague conventions as his reason. The German army stuck to these rules where they were respected. With characteristic ineffectuality Hitler ordered the end of the Sarin and Tabun programs, and no one obeyed. The Allies became aware of the danger toward the end of the northwest Europe campaign, which resulted in some emergency movements of phosgene bombs to airfields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the article wrote:
But Germany had a "wonder weapon." The Me-262 jet fighter flew 150 miles faster than propeller-driven Mustangs and Spitfires. It didn't effectively enter the war until late 1944, a victim of teething troubles and Hitler's insistence in 1943 that it should be built as a jet bomber.

http://chris-intel-corner.blogspot.com/2013/06/wwii-myths-me...

The PC flight sim "Aces over Europe” came with a great technical manual that included a historical synopsis and details over every aircraft includedin the game. The page on the ME-262 specifically described the Hitler induced delays as a myth. It points out the Arado jet bomber was in development at the same time.

Also, I have to believe that it would take Messerschmitt's engineers only a couple of days to weld on some bomb mounts, rig a cable release, and do a quick demonstration for Der Fuehrer. Not unlike how modern engineers and developers put together a special demo to placate some clueless manager who managed to get their 'pet feature' into the design requirements.

Seeing the History Channel repeatedly pin the 262's delays on Hitler's bomber insistence without providing any evidence or context has always bugged me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Thomas
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
Can he lead a normal life? No. He'll be an engineer.
badge
It is well that wargames are so terrible, lest we should grow too fond of them.
mbmbmbmbmb
hammurabi70 wrote:
Michael Dorosh wrote:

There was no reason for either side to use gas as it conferred no advantages.

True but I suspect it advantages the attacker in WWII as the defender is more fixed to his defensive positions than the attacker is to his positions which he can more easily change.

Goering said that the Germans were worried about being disproportionately affected because they were much more reliant on horses and didn't have a gas mask that horses could tolerate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark feldman
United States
post falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Well, the boss isn't always right. But, he's always the boss.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see what would have happened if they had listened to this man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Cota . landing the Rangers and trained assault troops in the early hours of June 6th to silence the bunkers before the invasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcus arilus wrote:
I would like to see what would have happened if they had listened to this man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Cota . landing the Rangers and trained assault troops in the early hours of June 6th to silence the bunkers before the invasion.

You could very easily blow apart the whole plan I'd think. If that attack fails you've given hours of warning, and alerted the Nazis to your intention making it harder to ever carry out successfully.

Was there a track record of that kind of attack working well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.