Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, folks,

I'm considering Kaosball as a purchase. It looks like it scratches that BloodBowl itch, while still being in print and easier to play. That said, the reason I'd want to get into this game is to get a league started up at my FLGS and generate a regular play group. Reviews are very positive about this game, and it's gotten my attention and interest.

That said, there are two key criteria that I'm curious about.

(1) How are the league rules? Does anyone have experience with them? Does this game support a continuing play/league environment, and does it do that well?

(2) What's a realistic age range for this game? I have kids, and being able to play with them makes acquiring such a game easier. My eldest is six, but he's already a solid X-Wing player, and he can handle Puerto Rico and Catan. The friend who'd be helping me get a group spun up has a nine year old. Is this game suitable for those ages?

Thanks much for the feedback. I appreciate my fellow Geeks' advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rules are very simple and art is pretty kid friendly (your milage may vary as a parent when it comes to giant cat ladies with large breasts and assault rifles), but for the most part its very "Saturday morning anime cartoon"-ish.

If your boy can pick up X-wing and Catan, I don't see him having any issues with this game.

I have glanced over the league rules but have not played them. There is a good amount of customization room to tailor those league games exactly how you want them, so even if theres something you don't like about them, you can easily change some things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
The league rules are actually woefully incomplete and imbalanced. However, our local group has had a lot of fun with a mix of those rules and some homebrew fixes (I hope to post an ongoing session report soon).

The game itself is good enough that you can expand and modify the league system to your liking, and it definitely improves on the single-game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep looking, but where are people finding the league rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The league rules are linked under the files section on the Kaosball BGG page; here is a direct link.
Kaosball League Management Rules Summary by Yoki

As Yoki wrote, that is based on a very early draft of the league rules Eric Lang posted about during or right after the kickstarter campaign. I'm sure a lot has changed since then but I don't know whether or where an updated version would be.

There might have been formal league rules in the 'league pack' that was an optional KS addon, but I can't speak to that since I didn't order one (darn it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Nope. No rules of any kind in the league pack. Just and extra set of stuff to play a second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
The league rules are linked under the files section on the Kaosball BGG page; here is a direct link.
Kaosball League Management Rules Summary by Yoki

As Yoki wrote, that is based on a very early draft of the league rules Eric Lang posted about during or right after the kickstarter campaign. I'm sure a lot has changed since then but I don't know whether or where an updated version would be.

There might have been formal league rules in the 'league pack' that was an optional KS addon, but I can't speak to that since I didn't order one (darn it).

Ah, okay, I thought something "official" had been released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.