Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I love this game. I have 6 solo conquests under my belt and started the 7th last night. It is by far my favorite solo gaming experience. When I first started playing this game, I expected it to see action maybe once a month. This is due to time constraints (father of 3 under 5yo) and no dedicated tables/rooms out of reach of children and cats. But after the first walkthrough game I was determined to find a solution. I needed to be able to setup and takedown games between sessions quickly to not eat into my limited playing time. And I needed the ability to safely put it out of reach of kids/cats without pieces moving. Using things I had available around the house, here is what I came up with.

This tray holds the Advanced actions, spells, both unit decks, wounds, and artifacts on one side. The other side is the day/night cards, board and mana dice. For each deck, I place a wound card face up on the bottom and discard under that. This way I know when to reshuffle.

This tray holds both the dummy player deck, mana, player cards, and skills on the left and the active player on the right. The draw pile is on the bottom card tray and the discard pile is on the top tray. Then at the top left are the three advanced action card offer. On the top right is the spell offer. Each card is propped up so grabbing and moving cards down the line is quick and easy.

Another angle

I made this tray to hold all enemy and ruin tokens as well as a discard pile for each. The bottom is the tray with tokens and on the top is a box to put the tray into so I can move this without pieces falling out.

Tray secured and ready to be put away.

When I am done playing for the night but in the middle of a game I just move the box and trays into the below box and set it out of reach.

Below you can see my playing area with a board for the map. For this I just took some old crummy game boards purchased from garage sales and taped it to this cardboard. I can move this up high with very limited movement of any of the pieces. Usually nothing will move. And through 6 full games, nothing has every moved out of place.

Last night I decided to time how long it took me to put everything away for the night. Moving casually I clocked in at 1:13. Setup is probably just a minute longer. With this setup, I’m able to finish a game of solo conquest in 3-6 nights depending now much sleep I want to get 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty impressive! Have you tried the Vassal module? It's another satisfying solution if you need to be able to pause games and resume them much later. It's not as immersive as having the physical game, but it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very impressed by this. We are struggling with the multi-session game with cats around, as well.

Our solution was to take notes on the iPad about where everything was, and then put the whole thing under a large cardboard box. Kind of unwieldy, but it allows us to keep things on the gaming table.

What is the Vassal module?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mizerak wrote:

http://www.vassalengine.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
honeyralmond wrote:
Pretty impressive! Have you tried the Vassal module? It's another satisfying solution if you need to be able to pause games and resume them much later. It's not as immersive as having the physical game, but it works.

Thanks. I have a very hard time playing any digitized version of board games. Be it Vassal, Android, or online. Just love the feel of a physical game. Thanks for the advise though.

Mizerak wrote:
I am very impressed by this. We are struggling with the multi-session game with cats around, as well.

Our solution was to take notes on the iPad about where everything was, and then put the whole thing under a large cardboard box. Kind of unwieldy, but it allows us to keep things on the gaming table.

Thanks. I tried the box thing too. But then found cats climbing/collapsing the boxes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I prefer dogs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Mizerak wrote:

Sorry - should have been more clear. I know what Vassal is (though I only used it once), but I was wondering if the module was to help keep track of the status of the board game, or was a port of the board game itself. I assume the latter, but I was not sure.

Our cats do not seem to bother the box on the table if we are not in the room. If we are in the room, they will jump on our game table if we are not careful, but if not, they seem to leave it alone (the two times we tested the theory, anyway :-))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizerak wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:
Mizerak wrote:

Sorry - should have been more clear. I know what Vassal is (though I only used it once), but I was wondering if the module was to help keep track of the status of the board game, or was a port of the board game itself. I assume the latter, but I was not sure.

Our cats do not seem to bother the box on the table if we are not in the room. If we are in the room, they will jump on our game table if we are not careful, but if not, they seem to leave it alone (the two times we tested the theory, anyway :-))

You can use the module to play the game digitally. I wouldn't call a port of the game, since it doesn't enforce any rules. However, it allows you to move all the components around and play that way. You could use it to either play a full game, or to keep a record of where you left off in a physical game. The latter would probably be more effort than is worth thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

uniconfis wrote:
For each deck, I place a wound card face up on the bottom and discard under that. This way I know when to reshuffle.

This is unnecessary, surely? None of the offer decks are ever reshuffled mid-game. Or do you track between games to save on set-up time? In that case you could presumably remember what you got in your last game or two and thereby know what is likely to come out this time?

Also, thanks to honeyralmond for the Vassal module plug =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he meant the Deed decks, not the offer/unit decks, though I cannot be sure. I took it to mean that he was putting a divider between the deed deck and the discard pile for each Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Nice.

uniconfis wrote:
For each deck, I place a wound card face up on the bottom and discard under that. This way I know when to reshuffle.

This is unnecessary, surely? None of the offer decks are ever reshuffled mid-game. Or do you track between games to save on set-up time? In that case you could presumably remember what you got in your last game or two and thereby know what is likely to come out this time?

Also, thanks to honeyralmond for the Vassal module plug =)

Mizerak wrote:
I think he meant the Deed decks, not the offer/unit decks, though I cannot be sure. I took it to mean that he was putting a divider between the deed deck and the discard pile for each Mage Knight.

Actually this is for the AA, spell, units, and artifact decks. I should have clarified why reasoning Since I'm new I wanted to see and have a opportunity to play every card in the decks. So I don't reshuffle any of those decks between games until I reach the wound card. Once I get through each deck a few more times I'll start shuffling each at the start of every new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uniconfis wrote:
honeyralmond wrote:

Thanks. I have a very hard time playing any digitized version of board games. Be it Vassal, Android, or online. Just love the feel of a physical game. Thanks for the advise though.

I can't get into digital boardgaming either. My IPad is full of great boardgames but I'd rather just play the physical version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.