Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Hammen
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Last night, I ran a 4 player game of Fleet at my local game store. I (Player 1)was the only one who was familiar with the game. Player 2 is a very experienced gamer. Player 3 is new to board games, being a more well versed in video games. Player 4 has been playing board games longer than P3, but I am not sure what her experience level is in general.

We played the base game, but did add the Gone Fishin', Tug Boat, and Artisan Fisherman cards from the Artic Bounty Expansion. I really like adding these to any game of Fleet, as they give more options, and can really help speed up the beginning of the game, which can be slow for new players.

Player 2 picked up an early Shrimp license, as well as a Tuna license. He used those to build up a fleet of artisan fishermen. He also picked up a processing vessel license roughly halfway through the game, which helped him pick up a crab license and a Fisherman's Pub in the last few rounds. He finished with 67 points.

Player 3 picked up a processing vessel license in the first round. She was having trouble remembering all the rules, and how the licenses modified her abilities. She picked up an Artisan Fisherman and a Tug Boat mid-game, but only let the tug boat collect two cards before she picked them up. She was able to pick up a crab license in the end, as well as a Cod. She finished with 44 points.

Player 4 grabbed a Lobster license in her first 2 auction rounds. From there she grabbed a shrimp license, then a cod, and was using the lobster-cod bonuses very effectively, using a few Artisan Fishermen as well. She grabbed the last Crab license in the final auction. She finished with 64 points.

As for myself, I grabbed an early shrimp license, and shortly after a Lobster license. I was able to launch a few boats and sit back a bit, picking up a Tug Boat, and an Artisan Fisherman. The picked up my Tug Boat when it had three cards, which helped me grab a Fishermen's' Pub. After that I grabbed a Cod license. In the second to last round I was able to grab a second Pub, and grabbed another Cob in the last round. I finished with 67 points.

Myself and Player 2 tied with 67, but I won the tie-breaker, with having 7 boats launched vs. his 6.

Overall the game went well. I don't think this is a good 'gateway' game, as there are a lot of options that can overwhelm people who are new to games. But for players who have played even just a few complex games, the game should be fairly easy to pick up after the first round or two. I really love the Tug Boat, Artisan Fisherman, and Gone Fishin' cards, and would recommend the expansion just for those alone. The fact that the expansion adds a bunch of other stuff too is icing on the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great session!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.